Cloth Diapering

Silly FTM advice needed

Ok ladies, as my due date approaches (6weeks), I feel like I MUST be forgetting something. So, without completely laughing at the silly ftm, what were absolute essentials and things you were glad you didn't have to live with out?

Thank you!!!
image         image
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Silly FTM advice needed

• The dohm?

The boppy us on my list to pick up next time I'm at the store. I haven't put the swing together yet because it is battery operated and I'm a little nervous about that. ($$$ down the drain in batteries, buy it was a handme down gift)
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's on Amazon. It's just a specific white noise machine. It's small, convenient, easy to transport, and the cheaper of the 2 styles is actually better. It's unfortunately kind of expensive though.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • #1 thing I couldn't live without would be my ring sling.
    #2 would be some good swaddle blankets or the Velcro swaddlers.

I can't think of anything else as ESSENTIAL as these things.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yeah, any good carrier really. The rings sling is just my personal favorite. I liked the moby the first week or two, but felt like he outgrew it that fast.
    Married 6/18/11

• PP covered some really good things, esp for me white noise and swaddlers. For nursing, big cups for water and handy, convenient snacks (high protein) were essential.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Muslin blankets to swaddle/carseat cover/nursing cover/floor blanket. I can't tell a difference between Summer Infant and aden&anais but use my a&a more because they're pink as opposed to green. Enjoy these last weeks of your pregnancy!
  • Fancy swaddlers were a bust for us but thin muslin blankets have been great for so many things. I loved my solly wrap, dohm (also at bru), rock n play, kinderglo night light and a panda puppet. Probably not the most essential but they were my favorite things.
  • My mybreastfriend saved my back with my first. I would also have a good LC on speed dial. The post partum period for me was really all about staying on top of the pain pills and colace, so have water ready to go and set a timer if you have to for the pain pills. Take them regularly, don't wait until it starts to hurt. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TJ1979 said:

Pooh, goo call mrs.hudson. I don't prefer ring slings, but my moby is my very best baby friend.

Dont mind me, autocorrect and I are drunk.
    I'm still using my moby at almost 8 months. I actually loved my ktan for newborn, and the moby once they get bigger.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Pads.
    You will need them, and you will not want to go out to get them.
    (And YH will almost certainly not get the right kind).

My mom made me a bunch of pp mama cloths with these huge insert things. For those of you that used mama cloth pp, did you ever want disposals also?
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pads.

My mom made me a bunch of pp mama cloths with these huge insert things. For those of you that used mama cloth pp, did you ever want disposals also?
    I tried cloth this time around and I hated it.

Do you have other stuff for you? Witch hazel pads, ice packs, that numbing spray? If you tear at all you will NEED these things.
    Married 6/18/11

• If we're talking non-baby gear now, ditto on the meds, pads and also have tucks pads in the fridge. One thing I regret is we didn't get a lot of up close pictures of just her in the first 24 hours. We have dozens of visitors holding her but not just her without the hospital blanket and hat.
  • Pads.

My bleeding increased after overdoing it and I had to go back to the disposables for a day or so. It was the worst ever. The hospital provides you with disposable pads, just take what they put in your room. IME it was enough to get through until I could switch to cloth. I still actually have some left.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Honestly, I am a huge minimalist when it comes to newborn/infant 'gear'. I know it can feel overwhelming as a FTM not knowing what to expect from having a newborn or wondering what you will need, but it's really not hard to wait until your baby is born to buy stuff. You can then either send someone to the store or buy with prime shipping on amazon. I bought so much crap the first time around that other people say is a necessity, but it either didn't fit into my parenting style at.all. or is rarely used.

Even things in this thread,  I would never consider a necessity, although obviously some moms do. I've gone through three plus years of breastfeeding and child rearing without using a boppy once, for example. And I don't ever swaddle my babies.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • mrshudson618mrshudson618 member
    edited January 2015
    ovenrack said:

Pads.

I tried cloth this time around and I hated it.

Do you have other stuff for you? Witch hazel pads, ice packs, that numbing spray? If you tear at all you will NEED these things.

My hospital sent me home with all three of those.  You might want to find out if yours will. 
    ---Quote fail---

I needed more than what they sent home with me.
    Married 6/18/11

• Good point ITK. All parenting styles are different. I couldn't live (or at least couldn't bf) without my boppy. And we live and die by the swaddle. :)
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • The most important things for me are, car seat cover, carrier, my placenta pills and my back support bell. Oh I almost forget my warm pillow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kmc84 said:
    I asked for an extra peri bottle in the hospital, that way I could keep one in the upstairs bathroom and one in the downstairs bathroom. Never go to the bathroom without that silly, wonderful bottle!
    Ugh this brings back some interesting memories lol.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
  • I agree with ITK. I can't really think of anything that I couldn't live without. I used my boppy but I could have done without it. We had no swing or RNP and managed just fine.

I did love having the bassinet since DDs room is upstairs. It has a front pocket and basket underneath that I used for diapering supplies in the beginning so it was all at hand. I used regular receiving blankets to wrap her in so the swaddle sacks weren't necessary.

As for me, I loved my lanolin, I used witch hazel but I really wasn't sore even though I tore. Having easy to grab water and snacks was great.

• I agree that as you figure out your baby, you can order things.

Right now, make as many freezer meals as you can possibly fit. You may feel tired now but at least you have the use of both your arms.

• Thank you for all of the advice ladies! All the BTDT wisdom is very calming.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The hospital pads didn't do it for me. I used Depends instead. I also think they'd be great for after your water breaks.

A eye mask/sleeping mask for the hospital. There are all sorts of lights on that I couldn't have slept without one. Ear plugs too.

Freezer meals. Lots of them. And make a good chunk of them dairy free. I made so many with cheese and stuff that I couldn't eat after 4 weeks due to MSPI. They're still in the freezer. :(

It's not something to have, but hot baths. Every night for the first week or so if you can. DH made sure I got 30 min every night to myself and it was amazing.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• The most important things for me are, car seat cover, carrier, my placenta pills and my back support bell. Oh I almost forget my warm pillow.
    I second the back support belt or belly band.  I didn't use one after my first and noticed a huge difference with my second.  It sucked in my belly so much faster and provided enough support to make moving around, picking up my baby, etc so much easier.  
  • Earth mama angel baby nipple butter.

This is the best I've used so far. Lanolin totally sucked. It was too thick to get on. But this stuff is like magical butter.
    And I love their new mama bottom spray! I had 2 small tears that needed stitches and I'm still using this spray every bathroom trip a week after delivery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mc0113mc0113 member
    edited January 2015
    A bassinet (or a co sleeper) next to our bed and the pack n play to use as a changing table in our room.

I just said last night that I couldn't imagine having to go to another room every 1-3 hours at night to feed and change her. Having everything right here has made things much easier/convenient during these first few weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The hospital pads didn't do it for me. I used Depends instead. I also think they'd be great for after your water breaks.

A eye mask/sleeping mask for the hospital. There are all sorts of lights on that I couldn't have slept without one. Ear plugs too.

Freezer meals. Lots of them. And make a good chunk of them dairy free. I made so many with cheese and stuff that I couldn't eat after 4 weeks due to MSPI. They're still in the freezer. :(

It's not something to have, but hot baths. Every night for the first week or so if you can. DH made sure I got 30 min every night to myself and it was amazing.

I didn't think baths were really recommended until the bleeding stops some, except for sitz baths. Maybe I dreamed that?

I didn't think baths were really recommended until the bleeding stops some, except for sitz baths. Maybe I dreamed that?

I was going to say the same thing. I was told NOT to take a bath until the bleeding stops. As long as you are bleeding, you essentially have an open wound in your uterus, where the placenta came away. The possibility of bath water getting up there can put you at risk for an infection.
    Married 6/18/11

• Freezer meals. Lots of them. And make a good chunk of them dairy free. I made so many with cheese and stuff that I couldn't eat after 4 weeks due to MSPI. They're still in the freezer. :(

This is us too.

• Maple 2.0, if you do use an ergo, I think the infant insert was worth it. UO? I didn't get the insert until L was 3 weeks old after failing the ring sling and receiving blanket in ergo. The extra padding also kept her warm when we were on vacation in a much colder climate than where we live.
  • I didn't think baths were really recommended until the bleeding stops some, except for sitz baths. Maybe I dreamed that?

Is never heard that (obviously) but I can see the reasoning behind it. I would definitely check with your doc about baths. Mine didn't have a problem with them.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• We were in big trouble when we didn't have swaddling blankets. Regular receiving blankets aren't big enough, which we didn't realize, and neither of my kids would let us put them down unswaddled. The velcro ones were a waste for us- they wriggled out of those in minutes. We got a pack of big bamboo swaddles, and they worked great. I second the Happiest Baby book, and would suggest practicing swaddling before you're faced with a crying baby.

Also, I would recommend looking on You Tube for Dunstin Baby Language. I didn't find it until it was too late for my son, but it made a huge difference with my daughter.

• Maple 2.0, if you do use an ergo, I think the infant insert was worth it. UO? I didn't get the insert until L was 3 weeks old after failing the ring sling and receiving blanket in ergo. The extra padding also kept her warm when we were on vacation in a much colder climate than where we live.

I have 2 Moby wraps that were handme down gifts and another carrier that I'm escaping the name on- its rectangular and either cross crosses the straps on the front or back (depending on front or back carry) and around the waist.

I envision baby wearing quite a bit with our life style, but really should practice with a doll or my niece! Think I should trade one of the Moby wraps for something different?

I think the best advice I'm hearing here is that anything can be gotten in 2 days with Amazon prime.

I've made some freezer meals, but am holding off a bit because my aunt will be visiting for 3 weeks and has said that she wants to make freezer meals for us.

Snack prepping is a great idea especially since we live 30 min from town.... And baby will likely be born right in the middle or beginning of syrup season.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Happiest Baby video was great for us. Good to see calming techniques in action, and really empowered J.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"