August 2014 Moms
Options

Finger/thumb sucking how do you feel about it?

We are at a bit of a turing point here and trying to decide if we should allow little one to suck his fingers or keep both arms swaddled and deal with a few nights of no sleep without the pacifier.

What are your thoughts? Is thumb sucking really hard habit to break if it becomes a long term one?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Finger/thumb sucking how do you feel about it?

• Options
    I think maybe it depends on the kid. My LO gave up the pacifier for his thumb a couple months ago. He was a huge thumb sucker and we were a little worried about breaking the habit. Now he only sucks his thumb when he is trying to get to sleep at home and he doesn't continue to suck it while he is sleeping.
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me. It was never an issue with DD1. She was a finger sucked but grew out of it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a very hard time breaking the habit but with that being said my LO loves sucking his thumb and it really soothes him and he sleeps great so I wouldn't never keep him from doing it. Well deal with the habit later.

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Options
    DS never took much to a paci and I am happy he found his thumb. I like that he has a way to self soothe and I don't have to replace it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not worried about it at all. I come from a long line of thumb suckers and only 2 were excessive (past 5yo). Most kids stop on their own at some point before 2-3 and it's usually only at night by that point
  • Options
    I WISH my LO would suck her thumb.  It would beat the hell out of playing the pacifier game all night.  I sucked my middle two fingers growing up and I'd like to think I turned out ok. ;)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DD rejected the paci and became a thumb sucker. DS has sucked on his thumb a couple of times. We just are content with them selfsoothing and let it go.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Itty bit rejects the paci...she screams at me when I try to give it to her and has for a long time now. She sucks her thumb but has recently started chewing on her thumb (prob teething) so she's sort of hit and miss with her thumb. Sometimes it comforts her other times it doesn't and other times she doesn't even try.

I'm worried because my family tends to get a self soothing thing and we don't let it go. My sister sucked her thumb for a long time and it messed up her thumb, my niece sucks her 2 middle fingers on one hand and she's 6 now, I suck on my tongue ect.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    We're still discouraging the thumb sucking but it's an uphill battle. Gonna have to pay for braces anyways..
  • Options
    Well I was wrong. He doesn't want to suck his fingers he is in there screaming for the paci! Now I don't know what to do! Fail.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"