June 2014 Moms
Options

Solids

13»

Re: Solids

• Options
    Anybody else having babies who refuse to eat solids? I'm not sure if it is because I waited until she was six months or what but she just clamps her mouth shut. I've managed to put little bits of food in her mouth but it's a struggle, it's been over a week and every time I try to feed her she does the same. She was always reaching for my plate and she ate a couple things here and there when she was 5 months so I thought she was more than ready. Any thoughts?
    We started about three weeks ago and DD is just now starting to get the hang of it. I would just keep offering it to her each day but not forcing it.

Me too - we have been working on it almost every day for the past 3ish weeks. Last night was the first time he actually opened his mouth for the spoon, but I am still not sure if he did that on purposeor if it was an accident. He has finally started to not make gagging noises every time he gets some food in his mouth, but he still doesn't seem too excited about it. I am planning to just kep trying every day, but as pp said, not forcing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @MrsAy  LO won't eat solids either.  I'm not pushing too hard.  Kinda baby lead weaning-ish.  I'm really in no hurry for the nasty poos.  Pedi just told me to start introducing by 9 months, so maybe by then she'll put things in her mouth and swallow them.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had our (late) 6-month check up today and I was a little annoyed. The dr. said not to start protiens or a whole slew of other foods. Stick to mostly fruits & veggies. I think he's ready for other stuff, though.

I feel like the pedi and I are never on the same page where feeding LO is concerned. first it was formula vs BM, now this. I know he's the doctor, but...

image        image

• Options
    @CharSamm‌ - he said early exposure to different things can be linked to food allergies later. And to stick with the standards. Meh. I'm not trying to argue with him, I just have never heard or read that... Though I admit my research is just a lot of googling and coming up with the same so-so websites - webmd, babycenter, etc. Unfortunately, DH thinks we should "listen to the dr". I don't know where he gets this stuff!

image        image

• Options

MrsAy said:

Anybody else having babies who refuse to eat solids? I'm not sure if it is because I waited until she was six months or what but she just clamps her mouth shut. I've managed to put little bits of food in her mouth but it's a struggle, it's been over a week and every time I try to feed her she does the same. She was always reaching for my plate and she ate a couple things here and there when she was 5 months so I thought she was more than ready. Any thoughts?

We started about three weeks ago and DD is just now starting to get the hang of it. I would just keep offering it to her each day but not forcing it.

Me too - we have been working on it almost every day for the past 3ish weeks. Last night was the first time he actually opened his mouth for the spoon, but I am still not sure if he did that on purposeor if it was an accident. He has finally started to not make gagging noises every time he gets some food in his mouth, but he still doesn't seem too excited about it. I am planning to just kep trying every day, but as pp said, not forcing it.

Same here! I started right at 6m, he just now a month later is a little more interested. He refuses solids in the AM but lunch and dinner he eats pured food. Also he won't eat if he is starving so I give milk first and then give food and sips of milk when he starts to moan bad fuss lol just keep trying it's all just exploration now anyways :)
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone posted this before. My friend recommended this page to me. It's basically a guide to when babies can start eating certain food and it says it is on the conservative side. LO is 7 months and she has definitely tried things that is on the 8-10 mo the list. Of course it has the "disclaimer" that you should listen to your pedi.
    https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfoodchartbyfood.htm#.VKTIgoo77CQ
  • Options
    @mullenem how will you be providing the proteins? In puree form or no?
  • Options
    @Katherine200713 my dr was the same , she told us to wait on nuts, citrus, eggs and milk till DD is 12 months but with everything else to "experiment". Baby is 6,5 months now and that was about month ago.
  • Options

snuff9861 said:

kaysa2 said:

@bridie926 - yes.  DD eats around two tablespoons of oatmeal (that is dry, before mixing - after adding milk it is more) and then a jar of puree for dinner.  She has a similar amount for lunch.  BUT it has not affected her milk intake either, which is around 40 ounces / day of BM / formula combo.  She is also literally off the charts for growth (maybe biggest baby on our BMB?), so I assume her caloric needs are probably a bit higher.

Riiiiiiiiight.

I know for a fact there are bigger babies on the board. Arrogance is not becoming.
    I didn't get arrogance from this at all. I got that she was asking a legit question, she's got a big baby. Chill out.
    I took it as kind of competitive-y tbh. But, she apologized.
    She didn't apologize for being competitive-y, she apologized if it came off that way. There was no need to apologize. I still feel like it wasn't even worth mentioning. And "arrogance is not becoming" sounds super condescending. She's not kaysa's mom.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    snuff9861 said:

snuff9861 said:

kaysa2 said:

@bridie926 - yes.  DD eats around two tablespoons of oatmeal (that is dry, before mixing - after adding milk it is more) and then a jar of puree for dinner.  She has a similar amount for lunch.  BUT it has not affected her milk intake either, which is around 40 ounces / day of BM / formula combo.  She is also literally off the charts for growth (maybe biggest baby on our BMB?), so I assume her caloric needs are probably a bit higher.

Riiiiiiiiight.

I know for a fact there are bigger babies on the board. Arrogance is not becoming.
    I didn't get arrogance from this at all. I got that she was asking a legit question, she's got a big baby. Chill out.
    I took it as kind of competitive-y tbh. But, she apologized.
    She didn't apologize for being competitive-y, she apologized if it came off that way. There was no need to apologize. I still feel like it wasn't even worth mentioning. And "arrogance is not becoming" sounds super condescending. She's not kaysa's mom.
    YOU felt it wasn't worth mentioning. Yet there are plenty of mom's here, myself included, who are having weight/growth issues with the littles. She apologized and everyone let it go until you dragged it up. So you must have thought it was worth mentioning after all.
    You projected your own issues, which I'm sorry you are having, onto her statement. I brought up your rudeness, not her original statement.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MrsAyMrsAy member
    edited January 2015
    sjdihle said:

@MrsAy  LO won't eat solids either.  I'm not pushing too hard.  Kinda baby lead weaning-ish.  I'm really in no hurry for the nasty poos.  Pedi just told me to start introducing by 9 months, so maybe by then she'll put things in her mouth and swallow them.  

I've also been taking a more BLW approach this week, not full on I'm too nervous for that, and she's been eating more that way. My pedi told me to do three meals a day so I'm offering her food everyday but not pushing it as I was at the beginning, more letting her do her thing.
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Options
    At his 4 month visit, we were told we could try anything - with the exception of honey. We were also told to do runny purees and cereal.

We've instead done a middle of the road BLW/traditional schedule at 5 months with some purees/mashed and some finger foods, and no cereal. He seems to do better with the finger foods and being able to guide the spoon for preloaded yogurt etc. We feed him once a day or every other day at lunch. He's had oatmeal, meats, veg, fruit, nut butter, eggs - all of the allergens so far except for shellfish. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the support, guys.  TBH I had already given him some chicken (and a little ham at Christmas) so I'm going to just keep going.  I told DH I'd hold off on strawberries and kiwis though (insert eye roll here).  He's such a nervous nelly, that one.

@chickpea912 - funny you say that about the pureed meats - I had pureed & frozen some steamed chicken for LO and when I took it out of the freezer last night, I gagged.  I don't think LO is a big fan of it, either, he'll only ever eat about an ounce and never seems to enjoy it (as opposed to 3-4 oz of everything else).  I'm going to have to figure out a better way to give it to him.

image        image

• Options
    So my LO has been eating three meals a day for a couple weeks now. However, the last couple days he seems really constipated/backed up. He still takes around 30 ounces of breast milk every day. He is pooping a couple times on a daily basis however the poop is very firm and he grunts and strains a lot in order to get it out. Should I cut back on his solids? I haven't really tried any proteins yet he's just had cereal/oatmeal, different veggies and fruit. He loves eating. He's always anxious to get the spoon in his mouth faster.
  • Options
    @lest12, I would mix it with veggies.  That always does the trick for my kids.  Pureed meat straight is gross. 

@AbbySeiden, can you try adding in more of the foods that should help with that?  I wouldn't cut back on solids, I would just refigure what you are giving him.  Pears, prunes, peaches should all help him poop easier (and for my kid blueberries do the trick as well).  Bananas and cereals can be more constipating. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

Thanks @lilygrace48!  I don't know why I didn't think of that. 

@abbyseiden - to tack on to what lilygrace suggested, squash always seems to help LO move things along :)

image        image

• Options
    Thanks ladies, I've been trying to add some of that in, put probably not for enough days in a row (plus the fruit is the stuff I don't make on my own so I have less of it). I'll give it a try and report back on the diaper contents :-P
  • Options
    @AbbySeiden‌ We basically did what Lilygrace said. We stopped giving DD cereal and started giving her pears and peaches. We tried a little prune juice but she wasn't a fan.
  • Options
    Once we stopped cereal things got so much better for LO in the poop department'
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"