Baby Names
Options

Full name for Hosie?

So, we love the nickname Hosie but want to back it with a "real" full name. Obviously Hosanna would be great, but DH loathes it even though he admits he likes Hosie. Are there any other girl full names out there that could work for using Hosie as nn? Just wishful thinking? :-/

Re: Full name for Hosie?

• Options
    Yeah yeah, there's always the teasing in middle school..
  • Options
    Yeah yeah I know, and the perfectly noble name "Hosanna" by itself, with no nn, will have "ho" jokes. I got it, thanks.

Yeah I know one Hosie (distantly) and think it's adorable on her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rather than avoiding every name and every detail of life that could possibly bring teasing upon my daughter, instead I plan to raise her to be higher than the teasing she will endure (no matter if her name is or is not tease-proof) and make sure the village who helps raise her does the same for their kids.
  • Options
    erinmserinms member
    edited January 2015
    MUD? Please be MUD.

ETA: ok, I see you have several other posts, so I'm going to assume this isn't MUD. I don't think people are trying to be mean by pointing out the teasing, and I'm sure you'll teach your kids to rise above petty teasing. Unfortunately, your village will only extend so far and the name Hosie feels like a big set up for teasing. More so than 99% of other possible names. Seems like a decent thing to consider when choosing the name.

Why do you love Hosie? Maybe we can come up with some other great ideas that you would also love.

Other ideas:
    Josie
    Eloise
    Posie
  • Options
    Because a name as simple and innocent as Hosanna shouldn't be "ammo." It's like calling the name Amanda "ammo." Amanda is a perfectly ok name, but the most name teasing I remember in middle school was about that name: "She's a MAN, DUH!" I'm not going to not give my kid a perfectly nice name bc other kids are stupid for a few years.

Giselle is beautiful too. Maybe not for us, but it's nice name.
  • Options
    MamamadsMamamads member
    edited January 2015
    It makes me think of Josie, do you like that name? I'm not familiar with this name but agree with you that it's silly to name your kid in a way to prevent any chance of bullying because really kids will tease about anything. Not sure what the long version of that name is though :-S

Is Hosie pronounced like Josie but with the Hoe sound?
  • Options
    Yes- Hosie like Josie or Posie :) I think the full name for Josie would be Josephine. It's cute but we have a closer friend with that name :/
  • Options

Yes- Hosie like Josie or Posie :) I think the full name for Josie would be Josephine. It's cute but we have a closer friend with that name :/

Ah gotcha!

• Options
    Maybe Rosie for Rose, Rosemary, Rosalie, Rosalind?

Or Posey? Which I don't love as a standalone but you could stretch it as a nickname for Penelope or something.

Josie for Josephine would be my ideal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    Josefina, which is pronounced ho-se-FEE-nah.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I grew up with a Giselle. She never got teased for her name. My mind doesn't stray to the gutter often so I need help with understanding this kind of thing. I also never teased kids growing up so I'm probably not your biggest concern. 

I'm digging the Josefina NN Hosie if that's really the NN you want.  I agree that I prefer Josie, Posey, Rosie much more. Hosie is a pretty much unknown NN though so I can see the teasing. Mostly I just don't like it.

The only name I can think of which I think automatically gives way to teasing is Virginia. Virgin, Vagina, etc. and that name is popular around here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Teasing a kid with "ho" because they have that syllable in their name is mean; naming your child Hosanna is not mean. It's ridiculous that people are more appalled that someone might choose a perfectly fine name like Hosie or Giselle or Virginia than they are that kids might call them with Ho or Jizz or Virgin one day. Hint: what's wrong with that scenario is not the names. I bet most of yall wouldn't dare blame a girl wearing a tight skirt to a club at night for getting raped, but you'll blame what parents name their kid (perfectly fine names!) for their child being victims of bullying.

Thanks for the suggestions but I can't use Posie or Josie due to others in my closer circle using those names.
  • Options
    Well this would be the third time I've named a kid for the nickname (the previous 2 being Eli and Liv) haha so I guess it's a personal trend for me now. Maybe because my first full name is a common nickname (and I like it), so that's what I gravitate towards. I can understand hating Hosanna; I used to before I heard it shortened to Hosie which I still think is cute. Thanks for the reply.

I agree that parents have a responsibility to name their child well, and to me, Giselle, Virginia, and Hosanna/Hosie all fit that bill just fine.
  • Options
    Hattie instead?
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but Hosie is a VERY unpleasant nickname.

• Options
    I'm sorry for what I'm about to type, but all I hear is pantyhose :/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't love Hosie, but Josefina is gorgeous and lends itself to the nn naturally. 
  • Options
    Why are you dead-set on Hosie? Are there any other NNs you like that we can come up with full names for? I agree, Hosanna is lovely and the natural full name for it, but if that's a no, then maybe come up with something else.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Why on earth would you knowingly and intentionally give a child a name for which they're going to get tormented?! That's like wrapping a kid in raw meat, throwing them into a lions' den, and saying, "Be above the lions, kid."

Every kid is traumatized by middle school to an extent, but setting them up for bullying is cruel and stupid. You're not going to change the culture, and no child is impervious. Kids are very good at being hurtful, and even the best raised child can get true emotional scars.

Hosie is just awful. For the love off all that is holy, please make a different choice.
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    For the last time: because Hosanna/Hosie is NOT raw meat for the lions. I'm not naming her "Sextoy" or "Easy." It's a perfectly fine name like so many others that get pulled into something they're not- the name is not the problem in this case (not saying that's true in every case).

Also, "for the love of all that is holy" is exactly why Hosanna is on the list.
  • Options
    I hear Ring Around the Rosie, pocket full of Hosie.  Agree with PPs who said this is an unpleasant sounding name with several opportunities for teasing.  While teasing can't be predicted and you can't control it, I would consider the warnings given by PPs.  PPs have given a lot of good suggestions- Josephine nn Josie, Eloise, Roseanna nn Rosie, etc.     
  • Options
    I just want to point out it won't be just middle school. All it takes is for her to makeout with one guy at a club in college before the jokes will continue there as well.

You obviously are very set in your opinions, and doesn't look like anyone trying to tell you otherwise will matter so I wish you and your daughter a happy life :) Keep us updated!
  • Options
    Actually, the first thing I thought was "hoser". Not good.

OP you're free to name your daughter whatever you want. You've gotten a few good suggestions for full names, if you really want to go that way. Just know that many people here (including me) think that nickname is awful and will draw unnecessary attention.

And TBH, I'm more a believer in letting kids choose their own nicknames or letting one emerge naturally as time goes on. Your DD might hate Hosie and choose something completely different.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It's actually pocket full of Posey/Posie, which several
    people suggested as a great alternative to Hosie. So I don't know where that is going.

Thanks; I don't mind the comments with opinions against Hosie, but I do mind the comments blaming parents who give their kids perfectly fine names for being the cause of all their kids' middle school issues.
  • Options
    DawnJM25DawnJM25 member
    edited January 2015
    It's actually pocket full of Posey/Posie, which several people suggested as a great alternative to Hosie. So I don't know where that is going. Thanks; I don't mind the comments with opinions against Hosie, but I do mind the comments blaming parents who give their kids perfectly fine names for being the cause of all their kids' middle school issues.
    I know the right word for the song is Posie/Posey, which I don't like as a nn, either.  Name your daughter whatever you want.  You asked for advice, and that's what you are getting.
  • Options
    That's because all urban dictionary is is making every word into a sexist, derogatory name.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ugh: iPhone fail. Give me a minute to edit this nonsense please.. Update: done editing the garble, sorry about that.

Because I'm not getting defensive about the criticism of her name, I'm calling out the act of casting out dozens of perfectly fine names due to childishness, which is all I'm getting on this board. Not true, helpful constructive criticism. I made it clear from beginning that I wasn't interested in middle school nonsense that comes up with a huge number names, Hosanna included, and no one could respect that. The worst name calling I heard in middle/high was a kid with the last name Horn; people called him Horny and Horndog. Yet there's nothing wrong the last name Horn. That's only point trying I'm trying to make. I haven't defended Hosie itself much this whole time, I've just been against the ridiculousness of so many names being thrown under bus without second glance because of that line of thinking.

I truly thank everyone for non-"ho"/"hoser" comments, and for the posey and Josie suggestions which I do think are adorable but will not work for us due to friends with those names. I accept further criticism of Hosie, but I'm really done with the ho, etc talk. I've said my piece on it (too much).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And just because I'm taking the time to reply to comments doesn't mean I'm "so defensive" and "so upset." Im good :)
  • Options
    TheAerialistTheAerialist member
    edited January 2015
    I couldn't agree with you more @ladybug7456, we don't need to rule out perfectly good names that we love because of some POTENTIAL teasing.  Kids will find a reason to tease if they want to tease, but I still need more of an explanation for your love for Hosie. Is it simply because you know someone else with that name?  

I just don't think that is an attractive name.  All of your reasonable arguments about naming kids go by the wayside when I think of calling a kid Hosie.  It's not a well-used, known nickname. I did a little googling and the top hits were a lot of nothing, this thread that we are currently typing on, and this entry:

It appears to be a boys name, not that it matters anyway since just don't think it's cute and it's really does only remind me words like hosier, panty hose, garden hose etc...

If you must, I did like PP's suggestions of: Hope Josephine and then calling her Hosie, or Heloise.  I also think Hattie is super cute!!

• Options
    Thank you very much for your reply @McSarah1104‌ . I don't like it because it is the name of someone I know, but I recently heard of it because I know someone distantly with that name, and I really like it because Hosanna means "redeem" and I think that is fitting since we just lost a daughter and this one will be our rainbow. And then I further love the nickname Hosie because it reminds me of the cuteness of Posie or Josie, without actually being that name since we have friends who have used those names.

I also really like the suggestion of Hope/middle name and using Hosie that way.

Thank you for your comment and info!
  • Options
    Thank you @ClaryPax‌ and @pavlovcat‌ for the feedback!
  • Options
    I can't think of a full name for Hosie, but I think Hosie is a silly, and very unattractive nickname. I would seriously ditch it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    Lol sorry, didn't mean to ignore the Rosie suggestion! Thank you!
  • Options
    You asked a question and we all told you the truth: Hosie is BAD, and the teasing potential is very high.

If you'd like to tell us other names you like, we could make suggestions to help you.

Another poster mention Jovana...you can use the NN Jovie. I had a family friend that was Johanna and her parents called her Jovie.

• Options
    Thank you for the Jovie suggestion
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"