May 2014 Moms

stuffy little nose :(

springbeduk2springbeduk2 member
edited January 2015 in May 2014 Moms
Do your babies still let you use the nose Frida on them? Mine was never great about it but I used to be able to do it when she nursed but no more. She either makes a game out of grabbing it or freaks out like her life depends on keeping that thing away from her nose. I don't dare keep trying then as she moves around so much i am afraid I'll poke her eye.

Any tips or tricks?

She has a similar response to saline though sometimes I can get a few drops at least near her nose when she is lying down for a diaper change.

She also fights a warm wet washcloth. Or any other nose wiping.

The problem is that the stuffy nose seems to wake her up and she is already a bad sleeper and doesn't go back to sleep on her own.

I don't think she is sick - I think it's just regular winter nose. But we still have a good 4 months of winter to go here!
Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!

Re: stuffy little nose :(

• I have DH distract her and hold her arms while I use Nose Frida or saline. I've also learned when she's in the car seat she can't move her head as much.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We've used ours consistently all these months, so he still lets us.  Some mornings he fights it more than others.   He actually likes the saline.  I guess it tickles because he smiles every time.  :)
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Loading the player...
  • We just hold him down. He used to let us do it and now nope fights us every time.
  • DS freaks when we wipe his nose. He had a cold and I think it got sore and hurt when we tried to wipe it.
  • DS gets held down... It's become a two person operation to clean his nose. It's for the best though, so I don't feel bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • What everyone said. One person pins the baby down, one person uses the nose Frida or saline. (Same thing when we have to clip DD1's toenails!) Also run a humidifier in the nursery. We have our humidifier going almost 24/7 here and it helps a lot.
  • What everyone said. One person pins the baby down, one person uses the nose Frida or saline. (Same thing when we have to clip DD1's toenails!) Also run a humidifier in the nursery. We have our humidifier going almost 24/7 here and it helps a lot.

+1 We use a cool mist one so his room doesn't get all muggy but it really helps his nose clear up.
  • Another one that pins baby down here. Both saline and nose frida are a 2 person job and DS throws a s**t fit every time I wipe his nose. I think it's been sore this week since he's been sick
  • ns1ns1 member
    DS hates the thing too.  I stretch out my legs on the floor, put DS on his back on my legs, hold down his arms with one hand, and use the nose frieda with the other.  He still tries to arch his back and wiggle away sometimes though.  

One of our pedis also said to not worry about sucking snot unless you can see it, so unless it's bad, I just leave it alone.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wahh we are goinb through the same thing. First bit of congestion here and it was hard keeping her asleep last night and bonus I had snot all over my boobs ;)

She loathes the nose Frieda but with two of us we can have minor success. Going to try saline today for the first time, hoping it's not too terrible!
  • My little guy hates the nose frida too. If I'm by myself and don't have DH to hold him down, I can usually at least get some saline in. The saline helps loosen things up and usually makes him sneeze. He can always blow out SO much with his sneezes! We call him Snots haha.
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited January 2015
    She'll sometimes let me do the saline if I distract her. Like others have said, the nosefrida is at least a four-arm maneuver which involves DD screaming and crying over the parental betrayal.

Things that help us:

- cool mist humidifier on almost all the time (our monitor shows the humidity and it gets very dry without it).

- use saline first. Often it will help her sneeze things out, and if not, it softens the snot up so it comes out easier with the nosefrida.

- if possible, do the nosefrida after her bath, which also helps loosen things up.

- lots of distraction (singing, animal sounds, etc)
  • +1 for DD hating anything to do with her nose! Like people said it's a two person job! Some times it's better than others but we do what we can! We also run a cool mist humidifier every night and have been for a while. It seems to work well! The other I do when she is really stuffy is get the bathroom really steamy before I give her a bath and then bring her in there and let her hang out for 10 minutes or so and the give her a bath.
  • This child knows hand coming toward face = GTFO and scream bloody murder. Lotion on the face, nose wipes, sucking the nose, wiping food off face, all means go hysterical. This weekend DD has a leaky nose, just a constant drip so it's been fun. We're right there with y'all.
  • QOTR said:

We've used ours consistently all these months, so he still lets us.  Some mornings he fights it more than others.   He actually likes the saline.  I guess it tickles because he smiles every time.  :)

So, can your little guy have a chat with the rest of our kiddos? Please?
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • I feel your pain 100%. We have been dealing with this for the last week and a half. DS used to sleep through the night but now he's been up every 1-2 hours fussing. We have a humidifier, saline and we steam him. Nothing works and I'm at my wits end. I miss my sleep and I'm stressed that this is going to be my reality till the end of winter. May be time to move to a warmer climate. There's not enough coffee to get me through this.
  • She screams, we just hold her down, use saline and boogie wipes once everything drips out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"