March 2015 Moms

Those with belly button piercings

Do you still have yours in? I took mine out a few months ago and tonight noticed the hole is red, itchy, some crust inside and now there's a red ring around my belly button. Regarding that I'm definitely calling my dr cause I got this done almost 6 years ago and it should not be showing signs of infection..

Has anyone else had problems with theirs? Did you take it out or still have it in? I wonder if this would be happening if I had used a pregnancy belly ring..

Re: Those with belly button piercings

• I had a belly button ring with my fist baby and while I never had that experience the only stretch marks I ever got was coming from where the ring was. I do think your sounds infected and you should definitely have it looked at before it becomes a problem.
  • I took mine out. The only issues I'm having is the scar tissue tingles and itches when baby and I go through a growth spurt.

Good luck and I hope all turns out fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Took mine out a year before I got pregnant. But I have a friend who kept hers in with her first pregnancy, and is carrying her second child and still has it in. She says nothings happened. She just uses a plastic or flexible ring instead of metal.
  • janda426 said:

Do you still have yours in? I took mine out a few months ago and tonight noticed the hole is red, itchy, some crust inside and now there's a red ring around my belly button. Regarding that I'm definitely calling my dr cause I got this done almost 6 years ago and it should not be showing signs of infection..

Has anyone else had problems with theirs? Did you take it out or still have it in? I wonder if this would be happening if I had used a pregnancy belly ring..

The EXACT thing happened to mine. I hadn't worn a ring in it for years and hadn't had any problem with it until last week. Red, itchy and crusty. I cleaned it well in the shower and put some triple antibiotic on it with a bandaid for a few days - it's now closed through and healed. My Dr saw it Tuesday at my appt. I thought it may have stretched a bit too much and was inflamed/started the healing process. She told me not to worry about it unless it got worse, but it's better now.
    For SuzyQ0525 and all other M15 losses

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • @chilibeansm0m‌ - I could have put my ring back in until it went all odd last week - and now it's closed.

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • I took mine out 3 years ago. It still hasn't closed up, and now that I'm pregnant and it's getting stretched some goopy hard stuff keeps randomly coming out. I just take alcohol and cleaned it. I would clean it real well and if it's still red in a day or 2 I would call.
  • I kept mine in my whole first pregnancy, tool it out prior to delivery. I put a ring back in it after a couple of months and I took it out when I found out I was pregnant again. I've had mine done almost 12 years and I'm sure I could still put a ring in it. It hasn't given me any trouble, no itching or pain .
  • I took mine out for my laproscopy surgery a little over a year ago. I've had it for 12 years, but I'm sure it's closed now. It's gets red, it's not now, but it was looking like you were explaining for awhile. My doctor has seen it at every appointment and hasn't said anything and it looks fine now.

I'd maybe try cleaning it and put some Neosporin and see if that helps it get better!

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @chelc32188‌ okay I'm glad I'm not the only one, it's freaking me out. I have an appt on Friday but I'm gonna call before then, in the meantime I'll clean it out with soap and water and put an ointment on it. What ointment did you use?
  • I still have mine in, with a pregnancy belly ring. I also agree with the others that it sounds infected. Probably because you are no longer able to get soap in there and clean since the ring or barbell is no longer in there. Definitely call your doctor, but in the mean time get a water bottle with the sports style cap on it. Also get some hibaclense from the drug store mix a 1:1 ratio and when showering squirt some into the piercing hole as best as possible. This should help clean it out and get rid of the crust. This is what a physician told me to do when I was having a nickel allergy. Good luck
  • @janda426‌ i used neosporin or whatever generic version I had in the band aid box

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • @janda426‌ i used neosporin or whatever generic version I had in the band aid box

Ok cool that's what I just used. Washed it with soap and water, did the neosporin and a bandaid. I'll call tomorrow. Thanks!
  • I took mine out months ago and have two stretch marks coming from the top holes (I got mine repierced at one point).
  • I have no experience with this yet as I just took mine out and it's my first pregnancy but I will say the pregnancy belly button ring stopped being comfortable and caught on everything the less deep my belly button got so I had to take that out too. Also, a long time ago when I got mine pierced the only thing that cleared my terrible infection I got was salt water rinses! I mixed it in a little tiny Dixie cup and held it over my belly button for five minutes a day.
  • I'm kinda jealous of you ladies who took it out with your first and it closed. I took mine out with R but it isn't closed. I'm pretty sure I could put a ring in now if i really wanted to.

This. I've had mine out for years but I'm pretty sure I could put another ring in pretty easily. It's red and crusty but has been the entire time. I just assumed it was because it is stretching. My doctor has seen it at every appointment and never said anything and it doesn't bother me.
    Married the love of my life June 18, 2011 -- Me (28) DH (29)
    TTC #1 since June 2012
    BFP #1 6.29.12 EDD 3.12.13 MMC discovered 8.11.12 9w5d D&C 8.15.12
    BFP #2 11.2.12 EDD 7.14.13 MMC 6w5d discovered 8w6d 2 failed rounds miso D&C 12.27.12
    BFP #3 8.5.13 EDD 4.18.14 MMC 7w4d discovered 9.25.13 at 10w6d -Trisomy 13- 1 round miso & emergency D&C 10.2.13
    RPL Testing. DX Asherman's November 2013. Low AMH (0.44) January 2014. 
    Operative Hysteroscopy January 2014 to remove scar tissue.
    BFP#4 6.18.14 EDD 3.3.15 Team Pink
    --AL always welcome--
  • I took mine out years ago (at least 10). It healed over completely and I thought nothing of it until about the middle of second tri my belly stretched it out and made it this dumb red dot on my stomach. The scar tissue isn't dealing well with the stretching. I really regret ever getting it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I took mine out around the 5 month mark. The hole itself never got red but the skin around it does get really dry. I've been putting lotion on it and it's been much better.
  • I had mine done 15 years ago and took it out maybe 4-5 years ago. I had gained some weight and just thought it didn't look good anymore. Pre pregnancy it still looked like a distinct hole, but I tried to put a ring in it just for fun and it won't come through the top. I threw all mine away at that point because I'm never getting re pierced (feel like I'm too old at this point). It's now stretched like crazy and is a flat hole. Sometimes I wish I had listened to my mother and not gotten it! Ha. But yes sounds like you have an infection but you're definitely doing the right thing already :)
  • I will second what everyone else is saying. I took mine out about a month ago and it closed up immediately. As my belly has gotten bigger the area where the scar tissue is from the piercing has gotten redder and redder... It's not very appealing. I am afraid at times that that area isn't stretching as well as the rest of my skin so I try to keep it clean and moisturized. The hole closed up almost immediately... I fear I should have gotten a flexible ring or something to put in place...

Does anyone have any experience with repiercing after the baby is born? I don't know if I want to be stuck with my red dot on my belly without a distraction from it at least! Haha
  • chaysefaithchaysefaith member
    edited January 2015
    I took mine out over a year ago and it's still not closed. Mine isn't red and crusty but it looks like it's full of flakey dead skin. I keep cleaning it but the dead skin look won't go away.
  • I took mine out around 12, maybe 14 weeks. It does look more red some days but I try to make a point to clean it & put moisturizer (Vaseline) on it, which seemed to make the redness go away. I don't think it stretched well at all. I can't tell if it's all closed or not...I don't want to try to stick a ring in it now invade I tear it.

I am a little bummed though, I really liked having it pierced, and it stretched further to the right then the left. So it's way off center now. I can't imagine it just goes back to the middle? I'm glad none of my tattoos are on the belly!
  • I just took mine out 2 weeks ago at 27 weeks. No issues and Fingers cross I don't have any. When I first got it pierced it got infected and I would use warm salt warm in a cup.
  • Mine is still in. I've had it for 15 years , but I'm pretty sure I need to either take it out soon or buy a pregnancy one. It's starting to stretch
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • rebmit32 said:

Had mine pierced like 10-11 years ago. I took it out probably 5 years ago. My piercing was done with a hollow needle so it will never close. However, it looks pretty freaky now that my belly has expanded and sometimes I wonder if it's going to tear, but not much I can do about it now! 

Also, @mches05I know some cool anesthesiologists who will re-pierce it for your right after you have the baby! 
    If they're done with hollow needles they never close?? I love my belly ring and am super worried about it closing since it took so long to heal. I won't get it redone again.
  • I had mine done with a hollow needle too about 14 years ago. The only 2 stretch marks I've ever gotten have been an "x" over the hole and they pretty much go away/aren't noticeable after baby. I have taken it out during all 5 of my pregnancies around this time- 30-32 weeks. After one of the babies it seemed to heal up and I couldn't get it back in but when I got preg again, the skin stretched and the bar went right through. Mine got painful this time and when I took it out, it crusted over as well but went back to normal within a few days. I checked a few days ago and it hasn't closed but it does get super itchy sometimes.
  • rebmit32 said:

Had mine pierced like 10-11 years ago. I took it out probably 5 years ago. My piercing was done with a hollow needle so it will never close. However, it looks pretty freaky now that my belly has expanded and sometimes I wonder if it's going to tear, but not much I can do about it now! 

Also, @mches05I know some cool anesthesiologists who will re-pierce it for your right after you have the baby! 

Really?! I don't know if I'd be down for it right after... Hahaha. Or maybe that would be better... Because I probably wouldn't care what's going on at that point.

I think I'm more for re doing it after I've had all the babies I plan to have so then I can not worry about having a funny little scar there.
  • I took mine out a couple months in. I had one on the bottom and one on the side. They aren't quite closed yet but definitely no redness, itchiness or crust. Definitely get it checked out!
  • My jewelry has been out for 15 years but when I had them, I had an allergic reaction to the metal, so I've always had two little dents/dots surrounding the top lip of the button. They're closed and currently not spreading ... Yet. :P
  • I kept mine in my whole first pregnancy and still have it in this time too. No plans to take it out. My belly button doesn't pop out, just stretches a little and gets shallower. I would take it out if it was causing any problems, but it hasn't for me, and I still like it. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • rebmit32 said:

Mine was dine with a hollow needle, and no matter what I did, never healed. I took it out and it's closed up just fine.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had mind pierced 15 or so years ago with a hollow needle. I took it out when I was pregnant with my son years ago, and it didn't close, so after he was born I put it back in. I had to take it out a few weeks ago (around 27 or so weeks) because it was uncomfortable. The hole won't close, and I'll likely put it back in after. Most of the time, piercings done with hollow needles will not close if the jewelry is removed IF the piercing is fully healed before removal. The hollow needle takes out a chunk of tissue, so healing closed is far less likely. 
  • bdazzldbdazzld member
    edited January 2015
    Took mine out early on as it was rubbing on my jeans--now it seems mostly closed up and mine is 18 years old also done with a professional hollow needle. :( Hoping I can get jewelry back in after the baby but no issues with infection though so hopefully the doc figures it out sounds very unusual.
    photo 2eaeec32-4781-4bd4-a9e0-fe86f486b516.jpg

~~~~For SuzyQ and all our loss moms~~~~

Met: 02.2007 / Engaged: 11.21.2009 / Married: 07.09.2010

EDD: 03.02.2015 / Scheduled Delivery Date: 02.25.2015

• I've had mine for almost 10 years. I wore a ring until about 16 or 17 weeks, when I had to take the balls off and just wore the barbell. At about 24 weeks (I think), I had to take the bar out because every time I coughed I could feel the hole "stretching" and it was uncomfortable. I haven't had any issues since then. I'm pretty sure it was done with a hollow needle and it looks like the hole is still open. I guess we'll see in a couple of months, won't we?
  • I took mine out five years ago and wish I had never gotten it pierced in the first place. It doesn't look too pretty when you get preggo. Can't change it now..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"