August 2014 Moms

Momma's That Work Long Hours

Hi there! Long time creeper, first time poster here. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm hoping this hasn't been discussed before...

... And I'm a rebel and I'm not posting it in the sleep thread... I know, I know... I suck.

I work 12 hour days (8am-8pm). DH and I are going to start sleep training next month and I'm trying to figure out how we're going to handle bedtime. I know we should be getting her down between 7-730, ideally. DH could absolutely handle bedtime alone, but that would mean I would only see DD for half an hour in the morning on work days. I know it's selfish, but I want some time with her at night, too...

How does everyone deal with a situation like this? Am I too selfish in wanting to keep her up later? Any suggestions are welcome... This all seems dumb now that I've written it out...

Re: Momma's That Work Long Hours

• My kid doesn't go to sleep until about 9. He sleeps about 10 hours. If I put him down earlier he wakes up earlier. Do what works for you and your family best.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO goes down between 8-8:30. Sometimes even later. Do what works for you. I only work part time and so don't leave until noon. When he is ready to sleep 12 hrs...I would love him to sleep until 8-9 am so I like bedtime where it is. My LO is also still taking a late afternoon nap because he doesn't map well at daycare.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am jealous of you guys. I often don't get home until 6 but LO wants to go to bed at 730. I feel like I never see him. Anyone have luck pushing bedtime later?
  • I work 12 hour days 7A-7P (14 when you add commute) and My LO goes down at 7/7:30. I don't see her at all when I work but thank God it's only one day/week. I say try the later bed time it can't hurt. If she's not havin it then put her to sleep earlier. Welcome and Good luck sleep training!
  • Thanks, everyone. I figured I'd get a lot of 'do what works for you & baby' but I like the reassurance and knowing we aren't the only ones!
  • I am jealous of you guys. I often don't get home until 6 but LO wants to go to bed at 730. I feel like I never see him. Anyone have luck pushing bedtime later?

LO and I get home around 5 and start bedtime routine at 6. I tried pushing it back, as H doesn't get home until 7 or 730. It was a fail, to say the least. She was miserable and it was not at all worth it. So, H sees her in the morning for a few minutes and on his days off, and I get about 1.5-2 hours with her before bed. Sorry my story is not encouraging.
  • LO goes to bed between 9-11 for us... I work restaurant hours so the nights that I work I'll get to spend time with her before I go in (about 3pm) and my husband will usually put her down around 9 since I don't usually come home until about 10-11
  • I go to the office 3 days/week and work from home the other days. When I go to the office, DH puts Nico down for his bedtime at 6 (I'm never home in time), so the only time I get with him is the first feeding if the day at 6am.

Has anyone successfully pushed bedtime back an hour or so? Will it happen naturally as they get older?

• I don't think you are selfish at all. Our guy usually goes to be around 7:30. I get home at six and he is usually cranky even then. We tried going later (and will if he is acting ok) but he gets so fussy it's not even worth it. I was just telling DH that I miss my happy day time baby. Seeing him for only an hour at night when he is cranky really sucks. Being home during the holidays spoiled me I guess...
  • @lizziebennett‌ That's pretty much what I've been doing for the past 3 months after work. I've invested in more pump parts so I can wash every other day instead of having to do it every day after work. That's made it a lot better for me.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I appreciate it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"