Baby Names
Options

Rowan - boy or girl?

Does Rowan strike you as a boy's name or a girl's name?

Re: Rowan - boy or girl?

• Options
    All boy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rowan is a boy's name. Super masculine. Can't imagine naming a girl this name. 

I do like Rowena, as previously suggested. It reminds me of that beautiful girl in the film "Mr. Holland's Opus" that sings the Gershwin review in the school musical. Have always thought it was an unusual but very pretty and interesting name. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    BOY.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
  • Options
    Haha I have to be the one to go against the grain. I love the name and have considered it myself for boy OR girl. 
    I have also toyed with "Ronan". It's all a personal choice. =D
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Options
    I think it's a boy's name, but wouldn't side eye it for a girl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP: 9/30/14 EDD: 06/10/15
  • Options

The first time I ever heard this name was when my cousin chose it for his daughter. So, it's hard for me not to immediately connect it to a girl, since I don't know any others with the name.

That said, I will completely admit when I first heard I thought "Eww. Sounds like a boy name".

• Options
    The only (one) time I have heard the name Rowan is on a boy, but honestly when I heard it, I first felt like 'hmmm, that sounds kinda like a girls name' but then I tried to imagine it on a girl and I hated it even more. 

I guess it's just NMS but the experts decree it is a boys name.
  • Options
    GSUDavisGSUDavis member
    edited January 2015
    Idani said:
    GSUDavis said:
    Haha I have to be the one to go against the grain. I love the name and have considered it myself for boy OR girl. 
    I have also toyed with "Ronan". It's all a personal choice. =D

You can't seriously be considering RONAN for a girl? 
    I'm guessing you missed the personal choice part. 
    It's Gaelic meaning "little seal" and I think it's a great name. Eitherway, Ronan as a male or female is *far* better than some of the names that people on this planet are currently saddled with. I'm not splitting hairs over it. It's a personal choice. Name your kids whatever you'd like. =)
  • Options
  • Options
    It's actually a pretty solid unisex name. Besides the fact that we're talking pure personal opinion here I don't see why anyone would be blasted for using this gender ambiguous name for a boy or girl. As I'm sure you know the name derives from a Norse name for a tree. A very sacred tree that is still honored by many cultures including calling the same tree 'Witchbane' and 'Witch Wood.' 

Despite the fact that the SSA list favors the name for a boy I've met more females with the name Rowan than males. 

Does that mean it can't work for a girl? No. 

Is it only 'for the boys'? No. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    GSUDavisGSUDavis member
    edited January 2015

In this day and age, names and gender roles are becoming more and more ambiguous.

Feel free to lambast all of the girls/women on the planet currently named Ronan or any other name that people are ambivalent toward.

• Options
    Boy! Boy! Boy!
  • Options
    ramy3 said:
    GSUDavis said:

In this day and age, names and gender roles are becoming more and more ambiguous.

Feel free to lambast all of the girls/women on the planet currently named Ronan or any other name that people are ambivalent toward.

Yeah, screw thousands of years of Irish heritage and culture. We do what we want!!!

Alas, people do it all day, everyday.
  • Options
    I recall a song named "Boy named Sue".

I'm not going to continue to go 'round on this. I'll name my children whatever DH and I decide, just as you and your DH will or have named yours accordingly. I did as the OP requested and gave my opinion. That's that.
  • Options
    Boy. I really love this name and hate to see it being used as a unisex name. Rowena is an awesome choice for a girl, though.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
  • Options

Boy.  Could you name your daughter this?  Yes.  It's your personal choice.  But, you would be giving her a boy name.

• Options
    Boy Name

baby development
  • Options
    To me, it is a boy name. However, I don't know a single boy named Rowan.....they are all girls. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Not a fan either way but I like it better for a boy.
  • Options
    IRL i only know girls named Rowan, but think it is a very masculine name. Also, how is it correctly pronounced? As one person pronounces Row-ann(row as in another word for an argument) and the other like Ro-in.
  • Options
    Just in case it needs to be said again...boy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Boy! Though the only Rowan I know is a girl.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I only know one toddler boy with this name. It's a boys name.
  • Options
    This post was enlightening because I have only met girls named Rowan and when friends of mine named their son Rowan I thought "what is wrong with them giving him a girl name!!!" Now I know the truth! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it could go either way honestly. The first time I ever encountered the name Rowan , was when I was younger and reading The Witching Hour. The main female protagonist was named Rowan. 
  • Options
    I think of it as a girl's name. It's one of those names that may have been a boy's name ... But people are starting to name their girls it. So, it's definitely changing over.
  • Options
    teeveemom said:

I think of it as a girl's name. It's one of those names that may have been a boy's name ... But people are starting to name their girls it. So, it's definitely changing over.

Nope. Definitely not. It is on my short list for a boy, though.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
  • Options
    bromios said:
    teeveemom said:

The name is a boy name and a million ill-informed parents have no power to change that fact.

On a separate but sort of related note, after that one awesome post a few days ago, is anyone else rediscovering their love for Lindsey/Lindsay on a boy? I always thought I hated the name, but I am realizing that is because it wasn't ever supposed to be put on girls.

Yes! I thought that too. I've never liked it as a girl's name because I thought it sounded masculine. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

Idani said:

And now @joy2611 is dying

I'm in Fantasyland of Disney World. So fitting.
    I am so jealous. Disney World is like home to me. Seriously. I get homesick for it.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    jelina said:
    brita722 said:
    bromios said:
    teeveemom said:

The name is a boy name and a million ill-informed parents have no power to change that fact.

On a separate but sort of related note, after that one awesome post a few days ago, is anyone else rediscovering their love for Lindsey/Lindsay on a boy? I always thought I hated the name, but I am realizing that is because it wasn't ever supposed to be put on girls.

Yes! I thought that too. I've never liked it as a girl's name because I thought it sounded masculine. 
    Yes!Yes!Yes! This is one of several "girls" names that I always hated growing up until I realized why. They're boy names! See also: Sidney, Leslie, Shannon, Kelly, Ashley
    Yep! I actually came back to this thread to add Kelly, Sidney and Shannon to my post. Forgot about Leslie and Ashley, but totally agree!
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    brita722 said:
    jelina said:
    brita722 said:
    bromios said:
    teeveemom said:

Yes!Yes!Yes! This is one of several "girls" names that I always hated growing up until I realized why. They're boy names! See also: Sidney, Leslie, Shannon, Kelly, Ashley
    Yep! I actually came back to this thread to add Kelly, Sidney and Shannon to my post. Forgot about Leslie and Ashley, but totally agree!
    This is truly a question out of curiosity.  What is the evidence that the name Shannon was originally meant to be a boy name?  I understand that when it started to be used in the US, it was mainly on boys but isn't its history traced back to a goddess (Sionann) named after the river?
    It doesn't bother me either way on a male or female (obviously), I'm just sincerely curious about the origin of its use.
  • Options
    I thought boy... But then a friend just named her daughter Rowen Jane & I semi love it! My cousin has Rowan picked for her 2nd boy due in July and I just like it better than her son Ridge's name... Yes Ridge. Odd.
  • Options
    Whether you think you 'know' all the history and origins of the name it's still personal opinion. Neither sex owns one name or the other. Naming trends change over and over again. I can find several sites that claim Rowan as feminine and I'm sure there are several sites that claim Rowan as masculine. Because it's the internet and you can find whatever you want to support your own opinions. 

There's no naming laws that state you have to stick to one typical gender name for your child. If we all went with 'girl' names on girls or 'boy' names on boys the world would be a pretty boring place. If it's a legitimate name and spelled correctly so be it. Our kids will make fun of names by observing our opinions and behaviors on how we react to names. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"