August 2014 Moms
Options

**Breastfeeding

Use this thread to talk about dem boobies. Or ask about increasing supply. Or ask about decreasing supply. You get the idea.

Re: **Breastfeeding

• Options
    My boobs are so weird! Either I barely pump enough for his bottles or there's milk spraying across the room and into his face. There's no happy medium where milk flows at a normal pace and doesn't choke him and I pump an extra 4 oz a day for my stash.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kareik01kareik01 member
    edited January 2015
    My boobs are so weird! Either I barely pump enough for his bottles or there's milk spraying across the room and into his face. There's no happy medium where milk flows at a normal pace and doesn't choke him and I pump an extra 4 oz a day for my stash.

This.

I nursed DD this morning before grandma came to babysit. DD was popping on and off constantly because I was spraying so much she couldn't keep up. Every time she came off it would spray her face, my arm, the chair, her clothes, etc. And I'm sure when I pump here in half an hour I'll hardly get anything. My body has things mixed around.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sort of have a conspiracy that my pump is sentient....

and an asshole

=))
  • Options
    @mmsweeney1‌ recipe please!
  • Options
    You know those delicious no bake cookies with oatmeal, cocoa, and peanut butter? Yeah... I just made those today as "lactation cookies." I'll let you know if they help my supply. ;)
    I have a recipe pinned for lactation cookies that are basically no bakes with brewers yeast.  They are amazing but my last can of brewers yeast appears to be nasty so I had to trash an entire batch.  I was so sad  :((
  • Options

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    I have a nipple clamper. He tucks his chin and clamps hard. Omg I hope this stops.
  • Options
    I have a nipple clamper. He tucks his chin and clamps hard. Omg I hope this stops.
    If I interact with DD while she's nursing and she smiles, she clamps down with her gums and will turn her face because she acts shy when she smiles. I have to grit my teeth every time.
  • Options
    I need some advice on this.
    I nurse at home I had a small supply and now im down to three bags of milk. I start working on the 26th how can I increase my supply. I pump maybe twice a day and get two oz what is she gonna do with 2oz! I use fenugreek well very rarely it taste horrible! But I've got to get this supply up and going because I'm not investing in formula. I think it really decreased because they was a lot of alcohol consumption for the holidays.
  • Options
    Anyone have a comfort nurser? DD still is a huge comfort nurser at night. I'm not sure if I should try to wean this or just let her do it. Any STM have any advice on this? DH thinks this is the reason she won't sleep longer than 2-3 hours a night. I don't mind it usually, but it's starting to get a little frustrating when the only way she will calm down at night is by nursing for a couple minutes.
  • Options

Anyone have a comfort nurser? DD still is a huge comfort nurser at night. I'm not sure if I should try to wean this or just let her do it. Any STM have any advice on this? DH thinks this is the reason she won't sleep longer than 2-3 hours a night. I don't mind it usually, but it's starting to get a little frustrating when the only way she will calm down at night is by nursing for a couple minutes.

Yep! I said in the sleeping thread that we are leaning towards CIO. Probably with the Ferber method. I can see this helping her wean off of comfort nursing to go to sleep. She has to nurse to fall asleep and then as soon as she's away from my boob she wakes up and screams.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kareik01kareik01 member
    edited January 2015
    AyannaPC said:
    I need some advice on this. I nurse at home I had a small supply and now im down to three bags of milk. I start working on the 26th how can I increase my supply. I pump maybe twice a day and get two oz what is she gonna do with 2oz! I use fenugreek well very rarely it taste horrible! But I've got to get this supply up and going because I'm not investing in formula. I think it really decreased because they was a lot of alcohol consumption for the holidays.

I always go to Kellymom when I have breastfeeding questions.

ETA: Trying to add link... https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

• Options

AyannaPC said:

I need some advice on this.
    I nurse at home I had a small supply and now im down to three bags of milk. I start working on the 26th how can I increase my supply. I pump maybe twice a day and get two oz what is she gonna do with 2oz! I use fenugreek well very rarely it taste horrible! But I've got to get this supply up and going because I'm not investing in formula. I think it really decreased because they was a lot of alcohol consumption for the holidays.

What happened to your supply?  When you offer a bottle you should pump to replace what was used.  If you are EBF, 2 oz is not bad.  You just need enough to cover the bottles you need for your first day back.  Things to increase supply (without fenugreek) are oatmeal, water, mother's milk teas.

Idk its just not what it used to be. I don't usually give her bottles. Her dad, my mom and everyone else does that. So if she's with me all day she will just nurse.
    Where can i get mother's milk teas?
  • Options
    AyannaPC said:
    I need some advice on this. I nurse at home I had a small supply and now im down to three bags of milk. I start working on the 26th how can I increase my supply. I pump maybe twice a day and get two oz what is she gonna do with 2oz! I use fenugreek well very rarely it taste horrible! But I've got to get this supply up and going because I'm not investing in formula. I think it really decreased because they was a lot of alcohol consumption for the holidays.
    I am also trying to get my supply up before I go back to work (Jan 20). I am just like you because I would only pump once after she goes to bed and I get 2 ounces each night. I have been pumping much more often between her feelings now to stimulate milk production. It seems to be working and at the same time I've built up my freezer stash to over 50 ounces. I think it was down to 10 oz at the lowest. Also I think if you join some of the formula websites like Similac and Enfamil you can get free samples. I have a sample from a doctor's office and I have used it here and there to take away some of the stress of pumping enough.

• Options

Yep! I said in the sleeping thread that we are leaning towards CIO. Probably with the Ferber method. I can see this helping her wean off of comfort nursing to go to sleep. She has to nurse to fall asleep and then as soon as she's away from my boob she wakes up and screams.

This is my life. The boob is DD's best friend. I really think CIO is the only way to solve this at this point. She still sleeps in the rock and play and I'm worried a transition to the crib AND weaning comfort nursing might be a lot at once... Any thoughts?
  • Options
    @AyannaPC‌ Try pumping after the first morning feed. I didn't get much at first but now I am able to get 4 oz and that's how I got enough for my first day. Now I need it to make enough for DC. Other things that help me- Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of food, oatmeal + brewer's yeast, a dark beer in the evening
  • Options

I would order Mother's Milk tea from amazon because you have to drink so much a day.  I would make a big pitcher at night and drink it all the next day.  Do you have enough milk for the first day back?  I also make this lactation cookie recipe.  https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lactation-Cookies/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=lactation%20cookies&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I think you have enough time to get your supply up without having to get formula.

Does it help? What is your experience with the tea? My boob is no longer my own as well she is on it right now! Even at night when we sleep she just rolls and gets it herself. Okay fine help yourself! Lol I will give it a try. I have about 18 oz in the freezer.
  • Options
    jamjoyfuljamjoyful member
    edited January 2015

This is my life. The boob is DD's best friend. I really think CIO is the only way to solve this at this point. She still sleeps in the rock and play and I'm worried a transition to the crib AND weaning comfort nursing might be a lot at once... Any thoughts?

**********quote fail**********

Here's my thought process although my kid will probably prove me wrong. If I can use the Ferber method to teach her to sleep on her own then night weaning will go hand in hand with that. At this point she needs the boob to fall asleep and stay asleep. If the Ferber method works then she should be able to self-soothe which eliminates her need to comfort nurse.

Right?! Someone tell me this will work!!

I'm fine with nighttime feedings but I don't want to hold someone all night long. My arms and back hurt all day now.
  • Options

AyannaPC said:

I would order Mother's Milk tea from amazon because you have to drink so much a day.  I would make a big pitcher at night and drink it all the next day.  Do you have enough milk for the first day back?  I also make this lactation cookie recipe.  https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lactation-Cookies/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=lactation%20cookies&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I think you have enough time to get your supply up without having to get formula.

Does it help? What is your experience with the tea? My boob is no longer my own as well she is on it right now! Even at night when we sleep she just rolls and gets it herself. Okay fine help yourself! Lol I will give it a try. I have about 18 oz in the freezer.

I am jealous of this!

It is pretty good! But I always have to sleep shirt open facing her. It's good for now but when it's time to break the habit and get her out of our bed it will be tough.

• Options
    Thank you @sweetpies‌ and @christel811‌. Which grocery store did you find it in. I found it on amazon but if I can just go to the store I'll do that.
  • Options
    @jamjoyful‌ @Joycomesinthemorning‌
    My LO slept in the RnP for the beginning of the night then in my bed attached to the boob for the second half. (The aching back sounds so familiar!) With Ferber I got her to fall asleep on her own and stay in her crib all night with no swaddle. You can do it!

• Options

My LO slept in the RnP for the beginning of the night then in my bed attached to the boob for the second half. (The aching back sounds so familiar!) With Ferber I got her to fall asleep on her own and stay in her crib all night with no swaddle. You can do it!

How long did it take?
  • Options
    @AyannaPC‌ you can get the mothers milk tea at Sprouts or maybe whole foods. I drink mine like ice tea. It does help but you need to be consistent. Also pumping first thing in the morning is the best to get the most milk
  • Options
    I have a question: I give pumped bottles of milk very rarely, so when I do I've been running them through the sterilizer each time. I'm thinking of starting to supplement with formula soon though, which means running through way more bottles. Do I need to sterilize after each use, or is a wash with a bottle brush or in the dishwasher enough?

image    image
  • Options

You mean there's hope?! :)
    Every time I've attempted the crib, DD screams and it just breaks my heart. I can never stick with it. Is there some magical way to make this work? Or do I just need to keep trying?
  • Options
    I was super scared to try it because she has never been even close to doing drowsy but awake before. It really only took one night... About an hour total but definitely not crying the whole time. (It was hard on me though. I knew I had to be consistent because if I eventually picked her up I was putting her through the bad part but not letting her learn anything from it... Not fair!) She would cry then settle then cry then settle. I did 5 minute intervals though because I felt bad, so maybe I made it worse by going in so often. I fed her twice that night because pedi said she still needs to gain weight and she went right to sleep after. Every night after that less crying until now she just settles to sleep. Now she even goes to sleep for naps in her crib.

• Options
    FWIW there are ways to night wean that don't involve CIO. You can check out the Jay Gordon method, but he doesn't recommend night weaning until after 1. 

When N started waking only 10 minutes after being placed in his crib at bedtime, we switched to having my husband go to him while I stayed with do bedtime stories for D. For the first two hours after bedtime, N gets picked up and rocked by my husband which soothes him much faster when there aren't boobs right there. Since he wasn't snacking every 10 minutes, he ate much more at the 2 hour mark, kind of like a full dream feed. then he slept much longer. We're getting 5 hour stretches again. I think for us, we just needed to get past that first hard part of needing help to stay asleep, get him eating for real at wakeups again, and that helped him sleep longer. He's also taking 2 hour naps rather than 30-45 minutes too, but that could just be coincidence. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @AyannaPC‌ Try pumping after the first morning feed. I didn't get much at first but now I am able to get 4 oz and that's how I got enough for my first day. Now I need it to make enough for DC. Other things that help me- Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of food, oatmeal + brewer's yeast, a dark beer in the evening
    How much brewer's yeast do you add to your oatmeal? Thanks!
  • Options
    I put 2 big spoonfuls. Maybe 3 tbsp?
  • Options
    Pumping at work ?

I work 8-530(ish) and on work days I nurse LO at 630, pump after that, then pump at 10, 1230, and 3.  Then I nurse him when I get home. I set those pump times up in my schedule when I had no idea about pumping.  I get about 20 oz total which is what LO eats during that time.  It's really difficult sometimes to pump on time because I get behind, etc. I am wondering if I could get away with feeding him at 630, then pumping in the car after I drop him off at DC at 730, then 1200, then 445? Or do you think this would decrease my supply?

• Options

LO started daycare this week and hasn't been eating well. Then she's ravenous at the end of the day. I can't keep up and feel sad about the wasted milk during the day. Mostly I'm concerned she's not getting enough. Hope she gets more comfortable soon!!!

Wasted milk?
  • Options
    So I got a question ladies.  I am very, very, very tired all the time.  My LO sleeps from 7pm to 7am and I get ~ 8 to 9 hrs of sleep a night  and a nap when i'm not working...so I know it isn't the lack of sleep thing.  I EP (~40 + oz a day) and was wondering if maybe this was why I am always so damn tired??  Anyone else think that BF'g wears you out??  

YES YES YES!

I actually get my fair share of sleep too most nights and yet I ALWAYS feel like I could sleep at least 2 more hours. Of course right now I have a sleeping baby on my lap and should just go to bed, but its only 9:20 for pete's sake.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options
    hmctagg01 said:

Is anyone else dealing with extreme distracted nursing? We're to the point where she maybe eats once during the day and the rest is like 3-4 minute snacks that I basically force her to eat. Go in a dark, quiet room/ she talks to the crown molding. Blanket? Fine, I'll chat with that! The only good feeds are MOTN and right before bed. It's to the point where she's having less diapers. Pedi says it's fine since no weight loss, but my poor boobs are so confused. She got her 4 month shots a few days ago. Is it maybe still a side effect of that?

Totally normal. Keep up with the dark quiet room -- some babies are just more distractible than others. You could pump to keep up your supply/relieve the engorgement if you're concerned. But I would save it for later -- they can be distracted with bottles too. Another possible thing to try is a nursing necklace (designed for LO to play with) or holding up a toy for LO to interact with while still latched on and hopefully nursing.
  • Options
    @lizziebennett‌ I EP and when I went back to work, I cut down to 4 times a day and was getting 24 ounces each session! Then I cut to 3 and still got 24 ounces each session. Now I'm down to 2 times a day and still get 24 ounces each session.

I was eating a lot to keep up my energy and my blood sugar from dropping. I was eating small meals every couple hours plus orange juice for the sugar. Now that I'm down to 2 times a day, I noticed I am eating less and having to drink less juice. With that, I've also noticed my energy level has increased. I really think pumping that much milk was draining my body!

I never had issues with low blood sugar but I noticed that drinking orange juice consistently throughout the day helped with fatigue and energy which is a symptom of low blood sugar.

I would try paying attention to what you are eating and making sure it is a balanced diet. I also lost a ton of weight fast after the baby. Have you experienced that?

Just my experience and thoughts!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

So I got a question ladies.  I am very, very, very tired all the time.  My LO sleeps from 7pm to 7am and I get ~ 8 to 9 hrs of sleep a night  and a nap when i'm not working...so I know it isn't the lack of sleep thing.  I EP (~40 + oz a day) and was wondering if maybe this was why I am always so damn tired??  Anyone else think that BF'g wears you out??  

If I go to bed when LO does I get 7-8 hours but I still feel like I could sleep for days. I assumed it was sleep debt from earlier but maybe it is BF. I have fantasies about going to a hotel by myself and sleeping for an entire weekend.
    @SoSayWeAll‌ sometimes I think about hiring a babysitter so I can go upstairs and sleep while they care for LO for a few hours I-)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @weeklyplanner‌ yes, now that I only pump twice a day, it is so much better!! I could never get it under control. Next baby, I will really have to be careful, I don't know how it happened. I spoke to multiple LC and they could never give me an answer or a solution that would work other than cut down the number of sessions slowly!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LO has been nursing around the clock lately. I decided I am going to start supplementing and when I mentioned it to my sister (the one I actually take advice from) she wondered if maybe he isn't getting enough BM from me and that is why he has been so fussy. Tonight he is nursing on both sides before bed because he finished one side and just screamed until I put him on the other side. He spends all night attached to the boob too and I'm not having any issues with engorgement and I am actually pumping less than normal, which isn't much to begin with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"