Working Moms

Tuesday GTKY

To make up for missing last week we have a 3 question one today!

1. What's your weather like right now?
2. What are you reading now?
3. Some people are particular about their coffee, others about their soaps. What are you a "snob" about?
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tuesday GTKY

• 1.  Cooooooold.  Luckily it's sunny though.  We had a few weeks of rain/clouds and it was pretty miserable.  Plus, they are supposed to be painting at my house this week and I need it to be sunny to it dries properly.

2.  Does Twitter count?  I've been so bad about reading lately.  My only free time is past 7:30 and my brain can't function enough to read at that point in the day.

3.  Hair routine.  I have curly/dry/frizzy hair and I must to my particular hair routine in order for my hair not to be a wreck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• 1. About 20 degrees and cloudy. No snow though. Yet.

2. Flash boys - about high frequency trading.

3. Tea (large leaf loose only, preferably Ceylon). And kid shoes. When Zappos stopped carrying Ecco was traumatic for me.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
    1. 44 and sunny.  That is cold for Houston.
    2. I just downloaded some samples:  When Paris Went Dark (about WWII in paris) and Dawn of Belle Epoque (about Paris artists, writers, etc at turn of the century).  I'm trying to read up on Paris history before my trip in February.  Any recommendations?
    3. I can't think of anything besides certain things that have to be name brand: Tide, Hidden Valley Ranch... Also, I'd rather spend more on shoes/clothes than I use to so they last longer.
  • 1. 34.  I am freezing.
    2. I just finished Saving Grace (new Jane Green) and discovered there is a new Outlander prequel.  I didn't know there was a new Margaret Atwood!
    3. Cars.  Have to have a perfect safety rating and climate control, heated seats, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. It 30 degrees and super foggy, which makes it feel cooler than 30 degrees.

2. The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan.

3. Shoes - for me and the kids. Cheap shoes always hurt my feet and I end up regretting them almost instantly. Cheap kid shoes seem to fall apart so quickly. I'd rather spend more money and be comfortable and have shoes that last until my kids out grow them.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1. Brutally cold. We're stuck in an "Arctic Vortex" which is giving us temps of -37 Celcius.

2. A few things on the go: Bible, and some running books. Just finished "Run like a girl" and I highly recommend.

3. Beds, linens and pillows. I have a hard time sleeping on anything that's not 100% luxurious unless I'm camping.

• @beaubecca as opposed to my usual questions? How rude! Well, I hate Nicholas Sparks AND Wally Lamb. How you like them apples?

@potbellypig - holy cow that's cold! Have you read Born to Run? I really liked it (and I'm not much of a runner).
  • 1. So freaking cold and there is snow. Enough to give my husband a wake up call at 4:55am to go plow, waking me up in the process. I'm still bitter in case anyone is wondering.

2. For now, I read blogs, the bump and facebook.

3. I guess I'm a snob about jeans. I don't pay a ridiculous amount for them, but I feel $60 isn't unreasonable. I wear jeans to work and to meetings so I get my money's worth.

• 1. What's your weather like right now? Cold and snowing. We were only supposed to get an inch, but it's coming down pretty heavily.
    2. What are you reading now? I'm in between books right now. The last one I read was Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel- MAN was book that over-rated.
    3. Some people are particular about their coffee, others about their soaps. What are you a "snob" about? Coffee. And good quality ingredients for cooking.

• 2chatter said:
    1. 34.  I am freezing.
    2. I just finished Saving Grace (new Jane Green) and discovered there is a new Outlander prequel.  I didn't know there was a new Margaret Atwood!
    3. Cars.  Have to have a perfect safety rating and climate control, heated seats, e
    Apparently I just discovered this as well. Thanks! And my library even has it...score!
    DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • 1. It is 32 right now and I have become weak living in the south. I am COLD.

2. Does reading blogs/reddit in a Serial spiral count? I will now be reading the Outlander prequel thanks to @2chatter tonight though.

3. Food. DH makes fun of me because I am very meticulous with crafting food. Sandwiches, for example, need to be in a specific order and I will rearrange it.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • 1. What's your weather like right now? Sunny. High today 60. :)#dontmissthemidwest
    2. What are you reading now?sigh, I never read anymore besides to my kids
    3. Some people are particular about their coffee, others about their soaps. What are you a "snob" about?
    shoes. I won't buy cheap ones.

• 1.  Cold!  5 degress with wind chills to -30 degrees
    2.  Milked by Lisa Doyle.  It is a light read about a 21st Century wet nurse.  My sister's friend wrote it
    3.  My shampoo (Pureology) - otherwise my hair is so limp and blah. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • 1. 20 degrees and snowy
    2. Just finished the Ken Follet Century Trilogy, and loved it.  Searching for my next book.  I've been really into podcasts lately - serial (of course!), working and rediscovered my fondness for this american life
    3. wine.  while there are good inexpensive bottles of wine, wine is something where a few extra $$ goes a long way.  and any $$ spent on a good, quality california cab is money well spent in my mind!  i fail to see why people drink cheap and nasty wine!
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Single digits, sometimes with a windchill below zero, and light snow.

2. Random books that I got for free or cheap on my Kindle.

3. DH thinks I'm a furniture snob when it comes to wooden furniture because I want to buy nice pieces that will last, so they are expensive.  I try to explain that the price over 20 years is actually cheaper than the cost to buy a piece of junk that won't last 5 years.  Other than that, I guess I'm kind of a shoe snob for myself.  I'd rather spend $60 on a nice pair of leather shoes that will last for a year or more than a cheap pair of $20 that will hurt my feet and last 2 months.

• 1. I live in Texas so it's 46 right now but supposed to get colder overnight. I like the cold though. 

2. I'm listening to Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult in the car and I'm riveted! I was actually sad on Friday because I couldn't listen to the book for two days (I listen during my commute to work) and almost bought it at the Kindle store so that I could read it over the weekend.

3. Hmmm - I'm super cheap but I'm a snob when it comes to bed linens and jeans. I wear jeans to work so to me, that justifies the higher price. :)

• 1. 19 and snowing
    2. Game of Thrones Series
    3. Skin and hair products. I need quality hand cream, shampoo, conditioner, face soap and face lotion.
  • 1. 45 and sunny

2. Sarah's Key

3. My face wash and coffee

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • 1.  It's snowing and about 20 degrees.
    2.  Wetlands. I don't even know how to describe it.
    3. I'm too cheap to be a snob about anything.  My husband's the snob - shoes, hats, food, beer, everything.  
    litzo27 said:

• 1. 16 degrees and snowing a bit
    2. I finished Girl Walks into a Bar a while back (Rachel Dratch).  I downloaded Bright Lights Big City but haven't started it. 
    3. My shampoo and face moisturizer.  I don't go super fancy, but  I won't buy another brand
  • 1. Sunny and supposed to be 50 today. It was in the 20s this morning though

2. The Steampunk Chronicles. Also a book that was free on Amazon Prime last month. It's a mystery that takes place in Germany.

3. Handbags. Sheets. We only sleep on beechwood sheets. They are divine. Shoes for all of us. I was a ballerina and now have arthritis in the arches of my feet, so I'm prissy about good shoes for me and protecting my kids' feet with good shoes. DH is a serious runner and spends the GNP of a third world country on running shoes for himself.
  • 1. What's your weather like right now? 18 degrees, feels like 9 with the windchill, and snowing.  Tomorrow starts the polar vortex.  -2F without the windchill.
    2. What are you reading now? Nothing :\">  Really embarrassing, but I'm working day and night until 1/20 to wrap up a project.
    Hmmm... Parmesan cheese.  seriously.  That shelf stable shaker stuff is awful. I go to the specialty cheese section and buy a hunk, and eat it plain.  But that's about it.
  • litzo27 said:

1. Sunny, high of 14ish (Celsius)
    2. Embarrassed to admit I just finished The third (?) novel in the Bridgit Jones series. Predictable.
    3. I am super frugal to a fault so no consumer good comes to mind. But I don't cheap out on things that you can't take back.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • 1.  70s and toasty.

2.  A guidebook about Disneyland.

3.  Law schools. 

• 1. High 40s. Not raining, at least.
    2. Just finished Two Girls, Fat and Thin by Mary Gaitskill. Nothing new on deck yet.
    3. Shoes and bags. I don't have many but they're all leather. I like stuff to last.
  • 1. 17 now. Spent Sunday and Monday driving in single digits.

2. The Book Thief. I've started a wishlist on Amazon to keep myself occupied with reading and added quite a few of the ones mentioned above. Awesome and thank you.

3. My pillow, face lotion (a recent development - thanks, wrinkles), beer, spa treatments (a Groupon massage will suck 9 times out of 10). I'm also kind of a reverse-snob about anyone who I find too picky or who is judgmental about cheap stuff. Go figure...
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • I'm about 20% and loving it. The narration is very casual and easy to read. Descriptive without being tedious or moving the story along too slowly. And I can jump in and out of it due to the short chapters. Good WM material.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • I know I'm a day late but I like these so much I'm joining in :)

#1 = Coooolddddd and getting colder, but sunny (as opposed to snowing yesterday)

beaubecca mentioned looks like more fun :)

#3 = I'm super tall so I'm a snob about jeans only because very few brands are long enough.  Otherwise, I'd say beauty products.  Who knows if the expensive stuff works that much better, but it's got to be cheaper than plastic surgery!
  • vvvvvfeevvvvvfee member
    edited January 2015
    @beaubecca
    the book thief is great, but you'll need a box of tissues for later.
    :(
  • 1.  Cold and windy.  23*

2.  I listen to audiobooks in the car, because I don't have a ton of time to read.  I just finished "Cassidy Lane."  It was cute.

3.  I am a snob about my coffee.  If someone else goes to Starbucks, I get a latte, because regular coffee for me is too much of a PITA to have someone else make.

<3<3 "You know my name, not my story.
    You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through.
    If you were in my shoes, you'd fall the first step." <3<3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"