VBAC

VBAC after single closure c-section

So my practice will do a VBAC but does not traditionally support them if you have a single closure on your uterus after your c-section.  I wish I would have known and said, "hey, double close me!" during my c-section (kidding).  There may have been a reason they only did a single closure, anticipating I would not be a candidate for VBAC for other reasons (I feel like something was mentioned about the birth canal being too narrow).

We are just starting the conversation and they are still open to it once we weigh all of the risks and benefits.  I was just curious if anyone has had this and been successful.  The thought of a rupture terrifies me so I'm okay with going c-section if it's the best decision for my health and the baby's...but I wanted to try VBAC if I could!

DD was born in January so these two LO's will only be 17 months apart if that is important...

Any help would be wonderful.  TIA!
Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
image imageimage

Re: VBAC after single closure c-section

• Actually research shows no benefit to double vs single suturing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the response!  I finally had my consult today and she said the risk of uterine rupture is around 1% whether double or single.  That being said, I have some other risks to weigh so it is looking like a second c-section for me.
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I know this thread is a few weeks old now, but I'm in a similar situation, and am curious what your Ob said about the difference in closures. I have a single layer and my midwife is recommending a repeat c. I haven't had a chance yet to discuss vbac further. In my research so far, I have seen a slight increase in risk of uterine rupture but only if it was done with a certain older type of material. Any other info on this topic, I'm very interested in. Hope all goes well for you!
  • I am soooooooo grateful I just read this post! It's been 9 years since my C-section and my Dr is pushing for VBAC, your post gave me a ding ding, moment where I remember they had to suction my daughter out of my pelvis DURING surgery. I had totally forgotten this importnat fact. So thank you!
  • Hi! I will be having the same convo w my dr soon. She brought it up but we have lots of time to decide since I'm only 2 months. My first daughter is 2 1/2 and exercise and lifting her all tug at my incision, kinda feels like it did after surgery. I'm nervous - has this feeling happened to any of you? Tx
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ryemoryemo member
    gdgrl711 said:

I am soooooooo grateful I just read this post! It's been 9 years since my C-section and my Dr is pushing for VBAC, your post gave me a ding ding, moment where I remember they had to suction my daughter out of my pelvis DURING surgery. I had totally forgotten this importnat fact. So thank you!

That's actually pretty common in CSs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"