December 2014 Moms
Options

Newborn breathing

I've noticed my newborn's breathing patterns and have walked his pediatrician if the periodic shallow, rapid breathing, etc is normal and have been assured that it is. The past couple days I've noticed that our LO is grunting. Kind of sounds like he holds his breath and then grunts. Does anyone else have a LO doing this? I am going to call the pediatrician later, but wanted to hear any of you.

Re: Newborn breathing

• Options
    Mine is very vocal. I'm nursing him right now and he is humming. I actually want to record him sometime bc it is so cute. Check with your doc, but i bet it's normal!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hollycnhollycn member
    edited December 2014
    I've asked my pediatrician about it and she says as long as LO is not turning blue and it is not disrupting her sleep, then it is completely normal for her to make a racket. That said, if she seems mildly uncomfortable, elevate her when she's sleeping, make sure to burp before you put her down, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup I get no sleep she's so loud!
  • Options
    My LO grunts and snorts like a little piggy when she eats, or tries to eat.
  • Options
    Mine makes noises like all sorts of farm animals. Squeals, grunts, hum/whines like a baby animal. Sometimes she breathes in her sleep like an overweight man with sleep apnea. It's entertaining and totally normal. My husband didn't sleep the night after we got home, though, because he was so freaked out by it. He just watched her "to be safe". :)
    D14 June. Favorite TV Dad(s).image
    12/31/13: BF Proposes
    2/14: First month off OCP, cuz, hey, why not? He put a ring on it.
    3/31/14: POAS: BFP!
    6/21/14: It only looks like a shotgun wedding.
    12/09/14: EDD

Why just plan a wedding when you can plan a baby AND a wedding?
  • Options
    I call my LO a squirrel or goat bc of all the noises he makes. That's def something I never knew about newborns! It's freaky when he makes the sounds and even freakier when he's not making them.
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • Options
    Our baby was grunting a lot and always turning red. Our pedi said it was gas causing it and to try cutting out dairy and caffeine ( including chocolate). I did this and she has stopped and actually sleeps more. I ate chocolate yesterday without thinking and she was back to grunting. It could be you just need to do trial and error with foods and keep a food log. Some foods- especially milk protein is harder on baby's stomach.
  • Options
    My baby screams in his sleep in a way that sounds a hell of a lot like a pterodactyl. Not at all unnerving...

Always ask your pedi if you are concerned but I bet it is just normal baby noises. Newbies are surprisingly loud.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have lots of grunting and turning red...usually followed by rumbling from the bottom....this little boy has soo much gas. I have been trying to find a formula that helps and nothing seems too.
  • Options
    Lol I call our daughter a boobie gremlin she grawls as she breastfeeds really loud and she does the same shallow then deep breath thing too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"