2nd Trimester
Options

Headaches

Hi everyone! I am 14 weeks today, and up until recently, have had a very easy pregnancy. No morning sickness, no major symptoms. I did find that sugar started bringing on headaches, and I cut back on sweets and it seemed to help. The past week though, I have had headaches nearly every day. They are not debilitating, but are making my life very uncomfortable. I don't like taking medicine every day, but I don't know any other remedies to try. I drink plenty of water, only take acetaminophen, and am continuing to cut back on sweets. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or anything that worked for you?

Re: Headaches

• Options
    A little caffeine helps mine a lot.
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    I had headaches for a week or two when I hit the second trimester. I took half a dose of tylenol one day because it was one of those where I had it prior to going to bed and it was still there in the morning. I figured it was caffeine related. I addressed it with my OB and she said it was normal (all my vitals were within normal limits).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree....caffeine helps me if meds and water, etc. dont

• Options
    I'm going on 26 weeks and I get headaches/migraines pretty much every single day. I refuse to take any sort of medication or pain killers so I just have to keep a cold compress on my head and I do keep Coke in my refrigerator and when I feel one coming I drink 1 glass. The caffeine definitely helps.
  • Options
    I've never been a big caffeine drinker, I do have a cup of tea in the mornings. I'll try a coke, they've helped me in the past with migraines!

• Options
    If you do t want to take medicine you can do peppermint oil behind your neck and around the forehead. Indonsthis for headaches that are still bearable , I use doTerra. If you do meds drink a soda with Tylenol.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had headaches as well around weeks 15-20.  The caffeine would help but not consistently.  I called and asked my midwife and she said that it's pretty common and the reason could be due to the increase in blood volume.  More blood coursing through your veins could mean more pressure in your head.  Not to worry.  I only get them here and there now and I'm 26 weeks.  It gets better soon dear.

imageimage
  • Options
    I had an easy time in my firs trimester as well. I have been getting headaches recently. I had a terrible migraine yesterday, and I think it was due to barometric pressure in my area. Check into how the weather could be affecting your headaches. Of course, it could also just be hormone related. 
  • Options
    Is anyone else getting headaches? I had a few in the first trimester but they seem to be more frequent and migraine like (sensitive to light). Any idea when these will settle down? I've never had headaches before my pregnancy. Blood pressure is fine too.
  • Options
    I stopped getting them regularly after a couple weeks. I honestly found a bottle of coke to be the best solution! 
  • Options
    I just hit second tri and have been having more frequent headaches. I remember this happening for a few weeks early in 2nd tri with my son and then it eased up. I try caffeine or Tylenol, and a cold wash cloth on my head. If it's really bad (I get migraines) I have a rx for fioricet.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I suffered from chronic headaches prior to getting pregnant. I had to immediately stop taking the medications I was on as they were not safe for pregnancy. My first 14 weeks of pregnancy were pretty awful with nausea and headaches. I was taking multiple doses of Tyelnol every day and calling out of work a lot. My midwife recommended and prescribed me Fioricet which has helped tremendously (I take 1 when it's really bad and I'm usually good for the day!) but I still don't like the idea of taking meds much while pregnant. Fioricet doesn't have much research behind it but my MW reasoned that taking 1 Fioricet/day was definitely better than 6 Tyelnol/day.

As my pregnancy progresses they are less and less frequent and I really only need meds about 3 days a week instead of every day. If I'm not at work I lean towards alternatives as a first course of action. Here are a few suggestions that I find really helps: warm baths with epsom salts (cannot stress the benefits of epsom salts enough!!), chamomile tea or ginger tea, ice packs, and good old fashioned sleep. 
  • Options
    ruby2315ruby2315 member
    edited January 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"