March 2015 Moms
Options

Breech babies?

Anyone else find out that their baby is still breech at 30 weeks?the doctor said if the baby hasn't flipped by my next appointment we need to start discussing a Caesarian. I know there is still plenty of time to flip but I'm worried if he doesn't I'll have to have a Caesarian. 1st time posting so if the post if messed up sorry!

Re: Breech babies?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought it was awful early too :/ I love my Dr. He was absolutely amazing with the delivery of my first son so when he seemed concerned it definitely concerned me but I guess I'm going to try and take it easy and not stress about it so much. I am just super terrified of having a c-section :/ Thanks for the replies guys it does help ease my mind :)
  • Options
    My baby was breech at 30 weeks too - and my dr also said I have plenty of time for him to flip.

I think there are also things you can do - maybe called spinning babies? I have heard of things - but not sure if anything really works (I am a FTM).
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Options
    I am in the same boat! I am concerned but my doctor and the nurse practitioner said there's nothing to worry about until at least 34 weeks. There are lots of tips online about spinning the baby like doing down dogs a few times a day and some other exercises. Others say you can use cold or peppermint oil at the top of your belly to get baby to move away from it and flip. Acupuncturists and chiropractors can also do some things (that seem non invasive).

I haven't tried anything yet. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and want to be sure he's still head up. In talking to moms in the past two weeks I've come across two who had babies flip at 37 weeks. There is still time!
  • Options
    Like PPs, my OB said 34 weeks is when he starts looking at where baby is. They move too much before then. In fact, I asked out of curiosity at my 30 week visit and OB said "I could tell you, but he'll probably be in a new position by the time you get to the parking lot." Good luck that LO turns on his own!
  • Options
    My boy is breech right now and I tried to bring it up at my last appt. My OB echoed the sentiment that many posters above have said. Right now is too early to worry about it, they do not expect them to be/remain head down until 34-35+ weeks. Also, even being head down right now does not ensure they will remain that way and they still have a ton of space to move positions at this point. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Pregnancy Ticker
    image <3 Suzyq 
  • Options
    On Tuesday we had an ultrasound and LO was breech. The dr. mentioned it but said she still had plenty of time to flip. I'm not really worried about it now because it's still early and she changes position throughout the day.
    M'15 January Animals Being Jerks Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OMG I would have laughed in his face. No need to worry until 34 weeks, & they can flip even after that. I would switch OB's if version wasn't an option. And I'd demand an u/s to confirm breech prior to a scheduled c/s. Discussing c/s for breech at 32 weeks??!!! SMH -- sorry, girl. Ask about external cephalic version if baby hasn't flipped by 36-37 weeks. Chances are baby will flip on it's own though! There is a >95% chance of vertex ( head down) position at birth.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else that it is absurdly early to discuss a C-section because of a breech baby. I would actually be seriously questioning my trust in that doctor for pushing a C-section on you... Anyhow, my baby is breech, I'm almost 32 weeks and have been doing spinning babies. If next week at my appt they say he is still breech, I will visit a chiro and acupuncturist as well as continuing spinning babies. My last baby stayed breech until 34 or 35 weeks I think. There is plenty of time for them to flip yet.
  • Options

OMG I would have laughed in his face. No need to worry until 34 weeks, & they can flip even after that. I would switch OB's if version wasn't an option. And I'd demand an u/s to confirm breech prior to a scheduled c/s. Discussing c/s for breech at 32 weeks??!!! SMH -- sorry, girl. Ask about external cephalic version if baby hasn't flipped by 36-37 weeks. Chances are baby will flip on it's own though! There is a >95% chance of vertex ( head down) position at birth.

^^wss <3
  • Options
    @FrecklesInside‌ when did you start SB? I'm convinced baby E is breech b/c I feel nothing except bladder & colon kicks. It's lovely. But at 29 wks I'm like - what's the point, he'll flip when he's ready...and flip again, & again...
  • Options
    My first was breech and I was adamant I didn't want c section. Dr told us at 34 weeks if they are going to turn they will have turned by then. I was certain that it would be right. Sure enuf by time I was induced at 42 weeks she'd turned x x we were prepared for vaginal delivery even tho hospital wanted c section. Go with your instincts and very best wishes
  • Options
    @FrecklesInside‌ when did you start SB? I'm convinced baby E is breech b/c I feel nothing except bladder & colon kicks. It's lovely. But at 29 wks I'm like - what's the point, he'll flip when he's ready...and flip again, & again...
    I started two weeks ago, so at about 30 weeks. I don't do inversions *every* day but I also use mantras. Some people think they're silly, but I like it and more than one midwife I've had has suggested it. We tell him "My sweet Pip, turn around, flip upside down, you need to be head down before we can meet you." 

I've had more movement up in the ribs and under my breasts lately but still some movement down low. The higher movements feel more like stretching. I'm hoping he MIGHT have flipped...we shall see next week. If not, I'm off to the chiro. Like I said though, E didn't flip until 34 weeks or later, so I feel pretty hopeful/positive. 
  • Options
    I have one head down and one breech right now. My doctor said even with two in there, there is still plenty of time to flip, but we need to start thinking about the possibility of it not happening if the one is still breech at my next appt because they are going to run out of room sooner than a single. He wants to avoid a c section because he feels the recovery is dangerous due to skinfold sweat and developing bacteria. He did tell me that even a vaginal delivery will take place in the OR because once baby A is out and baby B has a lot more room there is a good chance of him or her flipping.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who has no idea what position LO is currently in? :-/

I'm not concerned or anything at this point but it hasn't even been discussed at my appointments so far. I assume it will be brought up at my next regular appointment or my growth scan.
  • Options
    I don't know either, @urani‌ & @jcar2‌ but now I'm really curious. Fascinated by all these turning options!!
  • Options
    DD was breech around 36 weeks, and within a week or two, she turned on her own, and I was able to have a vaginal delivery. There's still time for your little bun to flip on his own. Hope they don't opt for a c-section before it's medically necessary. Best of luck!
  • Options
    urani said:

I'm not concerned or anything at this point but it hasn't even been discussed at my appointments so far. I assume it will be brought up at my next regular appointment or my growth scan.
    I don't. I know she's up and down based on where I get punches/kicks, but no idea which end is which! Definitely something I'll try to find out on Mondays appointment! :)
  • Options
    urani said:

The only reason I know is because I had a foot sticking out just below my left rib cage the other day.  I'm assuming her hand isn't that big at this point so it had to be a foot.  And then using a mapping technique I found her butt and the only way for the butt and foot to be in those positions she would have to be head down.  Doesn't mean it won't change tomorrow!

OP, you have nothing to worry about yet, and your doctor needs to not even touch the c-section discussion for weeks!  I had a friend go in for her c-section only to discover at 39 weeks that her son was head down.  He's been breech even the day before!  She got induced instead.  Still wound up with a c-section but that was for other reasons.  So your baby can switch and flip for a long time still.  Even if you schedule a c-section I'd push it as long as your can and then have them check you before they start.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    urani said:

Nope you aren't.  It actually is kind of meaningless to know this early, actually.  When i went in last week for my ultrasound to check on the placenta, she was head down.  But I'm pretty sure the next day she moved around again.  The position now has little to do with what they'll be doing at birth.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Last pregnancy my daughter was head down but flipped to breech position last minute. I had a Csection. I missed experiencing the whole "push, she's almost here!" moment but it turned out just as amazing. The recovery is longer but some women bounce back quick. It does sound early to be discussing it but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Either way, baby will be here soon and that's a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    urani said:

I only know because I know what a breech baby felt like from last time and I'm really anxious about this one being breech as well and having another c/s. So I'm constantly poking myself in the belly.

30/32 weeks is a little early to need to discuss a c/s, the chances of baby turning head down are still high. At the same time it may be a good thing to be aware of baby's position since many of the methods used to turn a breech baby (exercises, chiropractic care, acupuncture, a version) are more successful before 37-40+ weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's exactly what my doctor told me. Notbi g to worry about yet. I'm 31 weeks today and the baby is moving around.
  • Options
    I have NO idea either, so don't feel bad! My Dr is really laid back - and said we'd worry about that when its more important, so for now I am taking her approach! 
    For SuzyQ0525 and all other M15 losses

BabyFruit Ticker
    It's a BOY !!!
  • Options
    DD was breech from 25w onwards and never flipped back. Had a scheduled c/s and had a really lovely experience.

If your heart is set on a vaginal delivery, you can try acupuncture, tips on Spinning Babiss, and the chiropractor.
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had a growth ultrasound earlier this week and she was breech. Both my boys were head down every time they were checked (after 28-30 weeks) so this has me nervous even though there's still plenty of time. At least now I know why I can't breath half the time- she's pushing her head into my lungs. And I'm thrilled I get to experience being kicked directly in my bladder, never noticed it with my boys. I'm just hoping she turned at my next growth scan!
  • Options
    My dr said my boy was flipped at my 30 week appt, but I still feel low movement at times. Could be be punching me in the bladder?

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• Options
    lisap0924 said:
    My dr said my boy was flipped at my 30 week appt, but I still feel low movement at times. Could be be punching me in the bladder?
    Punching or head butts.  Even if they are head down they aren't that low.  I just got two feet up top and some other limb really low.  Not sure if it was the head or a fist.  Either way I got very bumpy for a few seconds.  Now she's playing with my bladder.  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"