Multiples

DNA results!

twinmom1121twinmom1121 member
edited December 2014 in Multiples
Just wanted to share that we found out yesterday morning that out di/di twin boys are actually identical! We thought from the very first ultrasound that they were fraternal but get asked every day if they are identical. So we decided to test them and got the results just in time for Christmas! So glad to be able to tell people for sure that they identical!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DNA results!

• Is this a test insurance covers and when do you usually get it done. After birth?
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• cls78 said:

Is this a test insurance covers and when do you usually get it done. After birth?

I didn't even ask my insurance. It wasn't very expensive. I used a company that only tests multiples to find out the zygosity, (whether they are ID or frat). It's called proactive genetics. You order a kit, they send you 8 cotton swabs per twin for their cheeks and then you send it back. Within a few days they test and send back the results. My boys are 13 months and since they were little we have wondered because they look way too much alike to be fraternal. You can get them tested at any age. We thought they were fraternal in the womb because they had their own sacs and placentas, which usually means fraternal.

• Loading the player...
  • My girls are di/di but I get asked all the time if they are ID (and they have the same blood type).  I hope to do the test for their first birthday!!
    Your boys are absolutely precious.  They have awesome hair!
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• cls78 said:

Is this a test insurance covers and when do you usually get it done. After birth?

I didn't even ask my insurance. It wasn't very expensive. I used a company that only tests multiples to find out the zygosity, (whether they are ID or frat). It's called proactive genetics. You order a kit, they send you 8 cotton swabs per twin for their cheeks and then you send it back. Within a few days they test and send back the results. My boys are 13 months and since they were little we have wondered because they look way too much alike to be fraternal. You can get them tested at any age. We thought they were fraternal in the womb because they had their own sacs and placentas, which usually means fraternal.
    My girls are most likely fraternal since I did a double embryo transfer and they are in seprate sacs. I guess I will wait to see if they look a like first before testing. Thanks for the info!
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• MrsP419 said:

My girls are di/di but I get asked all the time if they are ID (and they have the same blood type).  I hope to do the test for their first birthday!!
    Your boys are absolutely precious.  They have awesome hair!

You should do it!
    Thank you! Ya their hair is crazy and grows so fast!

• Aw, they def do look ID! My boys are very obviously fraternal but we weren't sure when I was pg if they would end up being di/di IDs. I would have tested them in a heartbeat if they even shared the same hair color, haha!

• They are soo stinking cute! 
  • We plan on testing our di/di boys. We think they are identical because they look exactly the same. They also have the same blood type and both failed the same newborn screenings. We also don't have twins in our family.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Aw, they def do look ID! My boys are very obviously fraternal but we weren't sure when I was pg if they would end up being di/di IDs. I would have tested them in a heartbeat if they even shared the same hair color, haha!
    Same here! Ours were spontaneous so we figured we would test once they were born...but no need there, they don't look like they even have the same parents lol
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Just wanted to share that we found out yesterday morning that out di/di twin boys are actually identical! We thought from the very first ultrasound that they were fraternal but get asked every day if they are identical. So we decided to test them and got the results just in time for Christmas! So glad to be able to tell people for sure that they identical!
    I'm glad you have confirmation!! I have always suspected they were ID!!! 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board