March 2012 Moms
Options

.. and so it begins.. the parental block LOL

I removed the internet access from the tablet and have been keeping my phone out of reach as much as possible.  for the most part I am fine with him surfing netflix and youtube he has only come across one or two posts that made me go "WTH is that??" ....and to be fair I mostly removed access because the tablet was getting sluggish and I did a total reset to get rid of junky apps too.

Out of nowhere .. my kid is suddenly saying DOUFUS  .. like wth ?? where did that come from.. He thought it was hilarious and was grinning like a nut. Wherever he saw, or heard it must have been on youtube or netflix.  I couldn't help but hide a grin.. it was rather amusing.  However I would rather he didn't go around shouting it out ... at least I hope he doesn't do it in public LOL... because I really would have a hard time not laughing.

I decided to keep the tablet without access and I have been ripping his DVD's to smartphone format and loading them up on a big SD card so he has plenty of his favorite shows to watch without the internet.  Seems like you can't uninstall the damned youtube apps, removing them from the desktops is worthless because he just goes straight to the installed apps in settings and opens it from there LOL.  

He seems happy enough without it and I'll get through his DVD collection sooner or later and just keep cycling through them and switching them out every week or two.

..ah the joys of parenthood V Censorship haha
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: .. and so it begins.. the parental block LOL

• Options
    I know exactly what you are saying my dd loves watching parodies by a farmer on youtube, and of course her favorite Taylor Swift.
    Well needless to say my MIL got my dd a tablet with the internet for Christmas. WTF does an almost 3 year old need a tablet with the internet for?? It was a horrible idea. I told my dh he is going to be the one handling that conversation with his mother. Christmas day when she unwrapped it I thought maybe his mom used the box for her real present... Oh No! She should have got a picture of the look on my face, because I think my eyes were the size of silver dollar coins. Then when my dd thought it was an IPAD and wanted to use it I said no. Well my MIL spoke up and said go ahead grandma is the one paying for the internet. Hope my dh has fun with this conversation with his mom. I think he's going to pay her a visit about this issue on Wednesday.
    -To add she specifically asked me what I wanted her to get dd. I said maybe like a 3 month pass to the YMCA so she can take swimming lessons over the winter. She said oh that sounds like a good idea, but nope! She wonders why she and I have a strained relationship...
  • Options
    LOL... well now that you WENT THERE...    to cut a long story short..  because no one wants to hear how pissed I am at the inlaws LOL..  

My inlaws bought him a F'in Robotic dinosaur.. he is not even 3 years old..and yeah he may like technology.. but you buy a almost 3 year old an $80 dinosaur so it can be taught to burp and fart..  when he can't read, he has limited vocab  and none that would help worth a crap with a toy like that and two parents that have no intention of teaching it anything.

They came to visit 2 days after Xmas and kept gushing about what a great toy it was while my son hid behind my DH from this roaring green and white plastic..  yeah great gift . can you tell he loves it?  *rolleyes.  My MIL spent an hour the last time we visited trying to teach her robotic dog to piss on the floor.. yeah I was real impressed..NOT

Needless to say its up on a shelf out of the way and if he wants to take the batteries out of it and play with it.. if it gets broke.. oh well.  Like you  I always post a tonne of pics and links stuff to share ideas with relatives on facebook and let them know what he is into... not so they can buy stuff for him.. for the most part its just things we are thinking about getting or have just got him.. 

Pretty damned sure that wasn't anywhere on my list.  However that really cool supernova toy that cost about the same and would have been awesome for the lil guy... yeah forget that he might actually enjoy it right?

ok end of rant.. phew!!  lol  I managed to hold that in for the 2 and a half hours they were here.. only because I went and did house work and  barely said two words to anyone.  Pretty sure no one was under the impression  I was amused and feeling social LOL  

The giftcard they gave me went to get lil guys some new movies and stuff.. 

So not looking forward to DH's graduation which is coming up soon... I see more family BS ensuing when they don't get their way over that too.. OH WELL.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ..yeah... THAT WAS the short version I promise  lol
  • Options
    That really is a terrible gift. Definitely sounds like it is aimed for older kids, and ones that like dinosaurs. I definitely seeing its demise in the future, much like my dd's tablet. Why buy them something so expensive that WILL get broken?!?
    Please tell me your MIL doesn't have any real actual pets other than a robotic dog. If she thinks a robotic dog pissing on the floor is hilarious I would be scared at what she is teaching her real pets. :|
    Please be sure to definitely share how your dh's graduation goes. Sounds like it might be another interesting read!
  • Options
    I actually would love to buy my DD a tablet. Probably a Kindle Fire with the kid case for it. And by buy it for my DD, I mean buy it for the whole family to use. lol. But she would totally not need mobile internet for it or anything crazy like that. I mostly want it for videos and games in the car sometimes. We spend a lot of time in the car in the summer. Books and toys only go so far and my phone is often in use.

That dinosaur is.....odd.

We don't really have to deal with parental block type stuff yet. DD isn't really into technology and I already screen most of what she watches before she watches it or while we are watching it. What bugs me is the ads on YouTube you can't skip. I really shouldn't have to deal with a very adult commercial before my child can watch that episode of Thomas or classic Sesame Street.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    kaleb87 said:
    That really is a terrible gift. Definitely sounds like it is aimed for older kids, and ones that like dinosaurs. I definitely seeing its demise in the future, much like my dd's tablet. Why buy them something so expensive that WILL get broken?!? Please tell me your MIL doesn't have any real actual pets other than a robotic dog. If she thinks a robotic dog pissing on the floor is hilarious I would be scared at what she is teaching her real pets. :| Please be sure to definitely share how your dh's graduation goes. Sounds like it might be another interesting read!
    Haha I love you Kaleb... a lady after my own heart.  they actually have two dogs and I said  much the same thing to DH the other day after we left. Love them dogs but they are so untrained  that the one and only time I attempted to take them for a walk with DH was a huge battle of wills lol.  I am used to trained dogs, partly due to the fact my ex was a breeder and also because we tended to have what are considered the larger  more "aggressive" breeds.. Doberman's, Rottweilers German Shepherds.

I say considered .. My Rottweiler was the softest puddle of poo you ever met .. never barked at anyone.. not even visitors to the house.. but heaven help you if you tried to leave lol.  We never worried about burglars cos we knew they would still be there when we got home haha.  He was such a a puddle  my old cat could and did  beat on him constantly and he never once snapped at my cats.

The IL's dogs are lovely dogs and I think it's great they adopted  shelter pets.. but  their lack of training drives me nuts.  They have a large back yard to run wild in and chase each other but  they never get taken for an actual walk .. kinda sucks... but heh.. they are well fed, loved and looked after  and loving and gentle and sweet .. just a bit boisterous.

.. DH's final academy test is tomorrow..I am so ready for this to all be over.  If they all pass this last test tomorrow they only have the State Peace Office test to take .. 

I don't know what tablet you have but I can honestly tell you that the Hannspree I got from Walmart the other year is still going strong LOL.. and trust me that thing has been dropped  A LOT.  I bought a 2 year extended on it because I was certain we would be needing to replace a screen here and there.. but nope... It has no protective case  ( looked but couldn't find anything I liked) and gets used  a lot and  other than doing a reset to get rid of junk that was slowing it down.. we have had no issues at all.  Power button got a bit pushed in but that's not a major issue..it works fine.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your DH'S graduation coming so soon! It has to be a HUGE relief to have it coming to an end. However, it also probably has to be frightening with all the tension with police officers and retaliation. I could not even imagine how mentally tormented these officers must be every time they have to report for a shift.
    I understand what you are saying about your inlaw's dogs. I think it is almost as hard on the dogs to not be trained than it is on everyone around them. So I think they did a huge disservice to them by not training them. As long as she's not encouraging them to piss on the floor though I guess.
    ;)
    Your tablet being tough is not what I was hoping to hear! All I know is that it is made by Samsung and she bought it at Verizon and it is under a 2 year contract with the internet service?? No idea on even how much data per month is available.
  • Options
    Haha if its on Verizon do they even do an unlimited plan ??.. soon as your kid finds Youtube  she better hope so haha.  We have Metropcs unlimited everything and it's set up to use our wifi at home..I hate unexpected overage charges so refuse to be tied to a plan with minutes.

I am not saying their are all unbreakable.. but trust me this  Walmart Hannspree has been dropped plenty  without a case.. lol.

.. I haven't been back on to post an update.. Hubby and his class all passed.. so now they just have to do the State test which is apparently a  walk in the park compared to the Academy's own tests...  They do that Wednesday and then Graduate Thursday night.  I'm afraid I can't post any pics, it's a no no to post pics in uniform on social media etc.. not that that stops some people lol.

However, it also probably has to be frightening with all the tension with police officers and retaliation. I could not even imagine how mentally tormented these officers must be every time they have to report for a shift.

Yeah, even one of their instructors told them it was a testament to their commitment that  no one had dropped out of the academy with all of the stuff going on atm with Police Officers.  I'm lucky in so much DH isn't going into a big city PD

• Options
    Congrats to your H!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"