January 2015 Moms
Options

Free The Nipple!

edited December 2014 in January 2015 Moms
Hey ladies! So I've been reading some articles about Chelsea Handler (along with other celebs, Rihanna, Alyssa Milano, Miley Cyrus, etc) and how she continues the fight to #FreeTheNipple and I wanted some opinions. what do you think about freeing the nipple?

Personally, they're my nipples and if I feel like showing them, I have every right too. Why is it okay for guys But not girls when it's the exact same thing?

This starts going into the whole breastfeeding in public as well, I'm not going to starve my baby just because you don't understand what breasts are for. If it makes you so uncomfortable just don't look. My baby comes before anyone and everyone. You can go take yourself outside if you want or in the bathroom, but I'm not about to go anywhere else to feed my child. (Unless the place offers one of those nice decked out nursing rooms!)

Re: Free The Nipple!

• Options
    It's not like the entire boob is already exposed, what is the deal with the nipple? I know I'd keep mine hidden from certain men I know because I just don't feel comfortable with that (mainly my MILs bf who is like 8 years older than me and my BIL, cause he's just a dweeby creep) but otherwise I could care less. In public I'll use a scarf to shield view but no way will I remove myself. It's something our society needs practice with and exposure to and that has to start somewhere. They are only boobs FFS
    January J'15 Siggy Challenge: Baby FAILS

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Chelsea Handler pics... I personally think they are hilarious but people seem to be reeeeeeally offended by them!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1PWXaxCQAE0gAK.jpg

.image

• Options
    I'm all for people breastfeeding in public, but I was so not comfortable nursing DS in front of people ...in my own home I would give ample warning and attempt to cover, but DS refused to let me use a nursing cover of any sort in public. So I would go to my car or a bathrown or store fitting room or if I was lucky there would be a nursing room. My sister on the other hand, would nurse Her son anywhere, walking down the street, shopping, getting groceries etc, and she used a cover but she was so slick most people had no idea what was happening! I commended her but her little man allowed the cover to stay in place :) I'm hoping for that this time around.
  • Options
    I breastfed all of my kids in public. And I guess one can be discreet in how much you expose. I have breastfed while having meals with friends in restaurants and they didn't even notice.
    At the end of the day we should all do what feels comfortable for us.
  • Options
    I LOVE to see bf'ing in public. Not just since having a child of my own, I always have. I also think it's more "accepted" up in my area to do so. I don't know if it's like this all over in Canada, or just my area? I haven't been here long enough to know/say. But I see women bf'ing here all the time and not as many covers used as where I previously lived. And no one bats a lash or looks.

I did bf in public in the beginning, but I covered. That was more my own personal thing. Not a fear of what people would think, but I'm just a more modest person.  But I still did it in public.  In my home I typically just took my shirt completely off and fed. It was easier as I was learning how to do it. Only my H and mom were there.  If we had other company, I kept the shirt on but didn't cover.

As far as randomly going topless when not feeding a child? Not really my thing. But whatever? It doesn't offend me or anything, it takes a lot to offend me.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    I get it and it makes sense but it's not a cause that I would openly back by exposing my own nipples. I would support the cause in other ways if need be but I'm not down with freeing my own nips.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    I think it depends on the place. Perhaps in a park where there are a lot of moms and kids may be suitable. However, at your local walmart there are always a handful of total weirdos so if it doesn't bother that some perv may stop and gawk then go for it but you most likely will encounter a lot of attention. I do plan on breast feeding but personally if I'm at a restaurant and some lady is exposing her entire breast at her table I wouldn't be comfortable, especially if i can visually see her pull it out if babies mouth and the nipple is chapped/ red/ puffy /swollen:/ wouldn't make me that hungry anymore... Let's at least try to be somewhat discreet right?
  • Options
    I'm not comfortable with my national geographic boobs... maybe if I had cute perky ones like Chelsey I wouldn't care as much... I'm already weirded out that my whole boob has become a nipple.  It's like my hormones have made my whole chest darker...

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My baby wouldn't eat under a cover and I have pretty big boobs. So even if not a lot is 'out' there is still 'too much' showing. The whole modesty thing is beyond me because it's not a modest/immodest action to feed a baby, it's a motherly action and a necessary bodily function. I wouldn't attend free the nipple events because I love my bras and my girls need support to make me comfortable. But whatever floats your boat!

I did warn DH's best friends when I was going to BF so they could leave the room if they wanted, and at the IL's they had a really nice sitting room I would escape to to feed the baby, but mostly because I was so emotional I couldn't handle them.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but I'm HOPING LO will cooperate with a cover.. I have no problem BFing in public but I prefer a cover just because.. if LO doesn't like the cover then I'll have to find other options but FX he's ok :-)
  • Options
    All I can think.of when I see those pictures or Chelsea Handler is that she has a great rack. And the one about Putin made me laugh.

I'm all for breastfeeding in public and whatever else. Your boobs/body do what you want with it. I myself am not comfortable enough with my body to put.it all out there.
  • Options
    STM. Never bought a cover with DS. I didn't even know there were such things as covers until I was at one of my first mom's group event things and saw someone putting one on. I though it was apron :-/ I always just figured I was feeding my baby - what would anyone have to be offended by; my boobs are awesome ;)

I remember a big mommy uproar in that same mom's group when one of the local coffee houses had a barista who made the mistake of telling a woman she should breastfeed in the bathroom. There was a comment thread a few hundred deep, a call made to the local paper, a nurse-in planned for the next day...it all was resolved in the end (public apology from the barista and the owner) but it was a BIG deal.

In Toronto, ladies are legally allowed to go topless. When the law was passed, maybe 12 years ago?, I was a lifeguard. We had to go through PR training of 'what to do if a patron complains about a woman being topless' (basically, tell the complaining patron they can stuff it). It never once happened, but there's also a separate nude beach on the island that I assume gets all the boobies.
  • Options
    ShuShubeeShuShubee member
    edited December 2014
    I am a FTM and plan to breastfeed. I will probably use a cover, just because I think I will be uncomfortable without it. We will see though. I am sure I will get to a point where IDGAF.

However, I have never even looked twice, or barely even noticed, when someone is breastfeeding in public. I guess I just grew up with having people nurse their babies, and it never occurred to me to be offended by it.

I just don't get it. It is the most natural thing in the world, so why is this an issue at all? That is what angers me. There isn't anything to "defend" here, IMO - it's feeding a baby and nothing else.

I realize this is not how the world works, but it should.

• Options
    @ShuShubee‌ I couldn't have said it better, thank you! I grew up in a family where all the women breastfed and it is just the norm for me. My DH on the other hand has never been around breastfeeding and is VERY squeamish about me ever breastfeeding in public without a cover because he "doesn't want men looking at us". I'm hoping with time he will see it for what it truly is, me nourishing our daughter in a very natural way but I will still wear a cover or go somewhere private for modesty if need be.
    .image

• Options

@ShuShubee‌ I couldn't have said it better, thank you! I grew up in a family where all the women breastfed and it is just the norm for me. My DH on the other hand has never been around breastfeeding and is VERY squeamish about me ever breastfeeding in public without a cover because he "doesn't want men looking at us". I'm hoping with time he will see it for what it truly is, me nourishing our daughter in a very natural way but I will still wear a cover or go somewhere private for modesty if need be.

He will probably get desensitized eventually, even if it's not until your second child. My dh couldn't care less about seeing a mom bfing her child. There was a really funny article I posted months ago, parodying men who were so over come with lust at the sight of a nursing mom... It was hilarious and a total joke.
  • Options
    We had an issue here where I live where a nursing mom wanted to nurse in a crafting room at a Michaels.  Michaels told her No and said she could nurse outside in the 104 degree heat.  She told them that was actually against the law and then the other ladies in the crafting room told the employees to just let her nurse.  So they gave her a chair in the room facing the corner.  Yeah the corner.  

Now that I am having my third I have become so much more vocal about breastfeeding in public.  I know first hand that sometimes you simply can't cover up, well unless you want to fight with your baby the whole time.  
  • Options
    I am probably in the minority, but I appreciate modesty. I try to BF discretely and I appreciate when others do as well. I was always able to use a cover with my son and I did so when outside the house or when we has guests. I know not everyone can stay covered, but there are still ways to be more discrete about it and if it is possible I think it is a good thing to do. I do support BF in public though, if that makes sense.

FWIW I also prefer man boobs and midriffs to be covered as well. I prefer modest dress across the board. It isn't something I would ever call someone out on. Just my preference.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    @GirlWithAnchors‌ That was hilarious!! Thank you for sharing!
    .image

• Options
    That was exactly it @GirlWithAnchors‌!! I love that one, it really shows how ridiculous the whole idea is!
  • Options
    This has got me thinking how my IL's might react when I choose to breast feed at family functions. I won't go to a quiet room like another new mom in the family does. Hell, I might even do it at the table. Sure, I'll use a scarf so there won't be much staring... They'll just have to get used to it. I wonder what DH thinks about that? I'm sure he'd be supportive of my choice, but now I want to have that conversation with him.

And that article @GirlWithAnchors was just priceless. I had to share it on FB. It may prepare a few friends and family members for my stance on breast feeding in areas where I can be seen by others. I think there is a balance between modesty and not being shunned to a private room!
    January J'15 Siggy Challenge: Baby FAILS

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was the first person that my ils knew who nursed. At least in the family. I didn't hide when I did it with dd, but I didn't flaunt it either. I used a muslin blanket to cover when I latched her on and them I kept it close to use as needed. Was never an issue. I also nursed wherever I was and didn't (once I got comfortable) go elsewhere.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Saw this on my Instagram and thought it was hilarious, so I figured I would share it with you all! = )
    .image

• Options
    My family and IL's have big long family functions and I actually embrace the opportunity to go to a quiet room to nurse. That being said if I don't want to leave the room or public place I don't. Especially when you have a good handle on nursing it is easy to do discreetly in public. I have no problem with someone completely exposed either though. Sometimes nursing can be used as a nice excuse to get away for a little bit!
  • Options

I breastfed my daughter whereever I needed to. Sometimes, because I enjoy the privacy or she would eat better with a little quiet, I would remove myself from loud places: ie restaurants, shops, but i HAVE fed her at the table in a restaurant, Sat down in the corner in a store. No one has ever said anything with the exception of woman who smile and say, " I remember those days"

I dont see what all the fuss it about. In public or at home - I dont usually take my freakin top off to fed the baby! A nursing tank and a hoodie or a cardigan allows you to nurse, without showing the whole world your breasts - or at least no more than a busty woman in a v-neck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"