Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Formula to homogenized milk issues

My son is 9 months so I've decided to slowly stsrt introducing homogenized milk in his diet. So what I've been Doing is giving him an ounce less of formula in his bottle, and give him about an ounce with his meals. 2 days have passed and I'm noticing his poos are less. Lately since he's been eating more solids he poos 3-4 times a day yesterday and today he had only 1 BM, and today's was much more firmer then it usually is. Anyway maybe I'm going about it the right way? Or maybe it's too soon? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks :)

Re: Formula to homogenized milk issues

• Options
    TeacherVickyTeacherVicky member
    edited December 2014
    Nine months is too young for WCM, especially for a formula fed baby. Apparently in Canada they say you can start introducing cows milk at 9 months but only for exclusively breast fed babies Formula has a lot of stuff that babies need. Human milk and cows milk are not the same but formula tries to be as close as possible. The risk with introducing cows milk too early is, among other things, it can contribute to them not getting enough iron. Which is very serious Just stick with the formula for now, even though it's expensive and a pain in the ass
    @somerandomchick BM also has a "lot of stuff that babies need". 

To clarify, WCM can be introduced to BF and FF babies between 9-12m of age, as per Canada's feeding guidelines. It should not replace BM or formula. There is noexclusion, whether you are FF or BF. 

Some dr's will sometimes recommend waiting closer to the 12m mark as WCM can be hard on their tummies. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    OP I would wait until after 11 months. Cows milk can cause constipation and be difficult on little tummies. No need to start this early. I didn't start either of mine until after 12 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    TeacherVickyTeacherVicky member
    edited December 2014
    Nine months is too young for WCM, especially for a formula fed baby. Apparently in Canada they say you can start introducing cows milk at 9 months but only for exclusively breast fed babies Formula has a lot of stuff that babies need. Human milk and cows milk are not the same but formula tries to be as close as possible. The risk with introducing cows milk too early is, among other things, it can contribute to them not getting enough iron. Which is very serious Just stick with the formula for now, even though it's expensive and a pain in the ass
    @somerandomchick BM also has a "lot of stuff that babies need". 

To clarify, WCM can be introduced to BF and FF babies between 9-12m of age, as per Canada's feeding guidelines. It should not replace BM or formula. There is noexclusion, whether you are FF or BF. 

Some dr's will sometimes recommend waiting closer to the 12m mark as WCM can be hard on their tummies. 

Right, which is why she said exclusively BF babies can get cows milk - because they are getting what they need from BF, by choosing how much breast milk to drink. They won't nurse less on their own unless they don't need it. When mom makes the choice to cut out formula in place of WCM, that is not good, because compared to formula, WCM doesn't have what a baby needs. She wasn't saying formula is better than breastfeeding.
    Right, and I'm saying that BM and formula are both important and should not be replaced by WCM at this age but that here, the recommendation is that it can be introduced to both BF and FF babies. 

ETA: Anyway, the point of my response really was the clarify what the recommendations and guidelines were here. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Great thanks for all the info. I Took a short break from homogenized milk but I've started up again. Just putting a small amout in with his bottle, it seems to be working better instead of giving him the milk just by itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"