Special Needs

Gross habit

greyt00greyt00 member
edited December 2014 in Special Needs
Anyone else have a kid who likes to put their hand in their butt crack and then sniff their hand?

I wish this was a joke. It's so gross. I will email his BCBA about it, but, ew! Is there anything I can do? Drawing attention to something I don't like is just about the worst thing I can do. *sigh*  This is DS1 who has ASD. He is 3 years and 10 months old.

Re: Gross habit

• It was bedtime so I wanted to wash his hands and hope that he'd stop if he went to bed. It may go away soon if we ignore it but it's jsut so gross. I don't want him touching his butt hand all over everything in the house. And then if he puts it in his mouth, that's a health risk. Ugh. I emailed his BCBA so I will see what she says.

• DS did this, but we found out he had pinworms - its quite itchy and uncomfortable for them.  :(
    The first sign was sticking his hands down his pants in public.

Some doctors need visual proof before writing a prescription, DS went 4 months without an prescription because one of his doctors needed visual confirmation.  However other doctors know that visual confirmation is almost impossible - and will take a parents word, and write a prescription.

I would first rule out pinworms before writing it off as a bad habit.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • greyt00greyt00 member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward it just being something interesting to him and not a health issue. When I saw it he was barely putting his hand in there. He hasn't been scratching. I will see if they have noticed it at school and then watch him tomorrow. I'm not saying I won't investigate further for medical problems, but at this point, I don't think that's what it is. His bottom was dirty yesterday; they hadn't wiped him well.

On attention, what I mean is that DS1 is an attention whore. HE LOVES ATTENTION. He often thinks it's funny when we give negative attention to something. So for the more harmless stuff, we ignore as much as possible. Next best is to redirect/correct him without speaking. So I'm going to take him to wash his hands, and not say anything, when he does this again. That's what his BCBA said to do.

• greyt00greyt00 member
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, we need to work on wiping.  I don't know how you teach them to do that well.

Edit: I missed the part about "do they have a plan" -- I need to check.

• Thanks. Our BCBA says she has seen quite a few other kids do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"