Cloth Diapering

Craft Fun

I've finally found the time to start some projects.  This is definitely not saving me any money, but I find projects fun and really enjoy seeing things come together.

So what is everyone working on lately and what projects do you have planned?

I'm currently working on a rug for my daughter's room.  It's turning out pretty cute, but I'm a long way from done.  I'll post some pictures later.

I'd also like to start getting into knitting. Does anyone have some good sites with beginer instructions?

Re: Craft Fun

• Tell me more about making this rug.  Rugs are soooooo expensive.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have extra fabric in the house, so I've purchased some. Which made this not a cheap project.

But I like that I can customize the colors for her room.
  • I made a braided rug in high school and still have it. Unfortunately, it is so bulky and heavy that it's hard to wash, so I don't use it much.

• emmyg65 said:
    I learned how to knit from the book Stitch and Bitch.
    Thank you.  Looking into it now.
  • I really want to make a t-shirt quilt from all my old college shirts, but I'm so afraid it will turn out looking terrible that I haven't even started.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• rugbymama said:
    I really want to make a t-shirt quilt from all my old college shirts, but I'm so afraid it will turn out looking terrible that I haven't even started.
    My mom does these a lot for family and friends.  I think it only takes about a week to do them.

The important thing is that they are a cotton t-shirt.  It's an easier material to work with.
  • sarenu1 said:

rugbymama said:

I really want to make a t-shirt quilt from all my old college shirts, but I'm so afraid it will turn out looking terrible that I haven't even started.

My mom does these a lot for family and friends.  I think it only takes about a week to do them.

The important thing is that they are a cotton t-shirt.  It's an easier material to work with.

Is it as easy as cutting squares and sewing them together in straight lines then adding a backer fabric? I was also just reading about rag quilts and those seem easy enough
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• rugbymama said:
    rugbymama said:

Is it as easy as cutting squares and sewing them together in straight lines then adding a backer fabric? I was also just reading about rag quilts and those seem easy enough
    She adds a panel of fabric between the shirt squares.  I'm pretty sure she cuts them into even blocks,  Adds a block of fabric between each shirt square.  Let me see if I can find one.
  • Similar to this:
  • My mom probably wings it when she makes them.

She does a ton of quilting so this is a simple project for her.
  • sarenu1 said:

My mom probably wings it when she makes them.

She does a ton of quilting so this is a simple project for her.
    I just made it up as I went also.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2014
    Is there special thread or needles or stitches that need to be used or can a cheap sewing machine with regular thread and needle do the job? Sorry, I'm apparently very needy today with all the questions.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• This looks pretty basic for instructions.

It also says to use a higher quality thread, such as cotton, that will hold up longer.
  • There are a lot of helpful videos at knittinghelp.com, and they have a great little mobile app too. It's the only app that I have ever spent money on, and it's worth every penny.

If you create an account at ravelry.com, you can search for groups and classes in your area. Their forums are also really great for asking questions, because they tend to be very active and you can get help really quickly.

Youtube can be good for specific knitting techniques but can be a bit of a time sink if you don't know what you are looking for.

If you buy pretty much any basic intro to knitting booklet or pattern book, they will have a lot of the same diagrams showing the basic stitches. The main thing to know is that the two most common styles are English and Continental. They have other names, too, but I just woke up and this is what is at the surface. For English you hold the working yarn in your right hand, and Continental you hold it in your left. Try both ways to see what is most comfortable for you.
  • I'm going to try and make breasts pads on the serger I got for Christmas. Hopefully I don't sew my fingers, still a little afraid. It's a beast of a machine.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • Nvywife said:
    I'm going to try and make breasts pads on the serger I got for Christmas. Hopefully I don't sew my fingers, still a little afraid. It's a beast of a machine.
    I made my own breast pads and they were great! I just used three flannel layers and a fleece layer, all from extra receiving blankets I had already. I didn't have a serger, but the zig zag stitch worked pretty well. Not perfect, but since they were in my bra, it didn't matter much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I had to get my machine out and tune it up to make LO's Christmas stocking, so now I've got the bug to sew again. I just made an evening g bag from the velveteen scraps from the stocking (along with some new stuff I bought) for my BF for Christmas. I really miss crocheting too, so in the New Year I am going to make sure I take time to do my crafting/creative stuff. I need the outlet.
    As for knitting, I don't knit, but allfreeknitting.com has tons of patterns, great for project ideas at all levels (I use allfreecrochet.com all the time). I find Pinterest is good for ideas, but so many pins are actually linked to items to buy on Etsy, not instructions or patterns for them. Also, I thought myself to crochet using YouTube and a stitch pattern book. I'm sure that knitting would have the same resources. Good Luck!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I learned the basic knitting stitches from YouTube videos. Then googled to find a website that had photos of what things looked like with different row variations.

I'm super jealous of those that got/have a serger. I've never used one but have been eyeing them for awhile. Anyone have a good review for a beginner serger?

I need to get some batting and backing to finish the quilt I started for the nursery. I have the front all seen together, just need the rest of the parts!
    I cleaned my art room and made a throw pillow today out of one of the scrap fabrics from said quilt. I'm feeling accomplished but I still need to make curtains also. And another embroidered painting to match the first.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 2015 is really going to be about finishing projects, since there's a good chance we will be moving again and I could see moving as something that would really kill any uncompleted projects. 

I've been working on a rocking horse from a kit for DS, but I'm worried he has nearly outgrown it! Maybe I'll finish it off and ship it to my new nephew after we move.

Uncompleted sewing projects in my pile are unpaper towels, pillow cases, a shopping bag, and a babywearing blanket.

I usually have a half dozen knitting projects floating around at any one time so I will have to come up with a strategy to get those done. I have a serious case of start-itis coming on ... DS's big gift for Christmas was a play kitchen/market stall, and I want to make a bunch of little amigurumi foods for him. But I have no idea where I will find the time to do this.
  • 2015 is really going to be about finishing projects, since there's a good chance we will be moving again and I could see moving as something that would really kill any uncompleted projects. 

I've been working on a rocking horse from a kit for DS, but I'm worried he has nearly outgrown it! Maybe I'll finish it off and ship it to my new nephew after we move.

Uncompleted sewing projects in my pile are unpaper towels, pillow cases, a shopping bag, and a babywearing blanket.

I usually have a half dozen knitting projects floating around at any one time so I will have to come up with a strategy to get those done. I have a serious case of start-itis coming on ... DS's big gift for Christmas was a play kitchen/market stall, and I want to make a bunch of little amigurumi foods for him. But I have no idea where I will find the time to do this.
    My sister made some adorable pancakes, bacon, pop tarts,eggs and bread felt items for my kids.

I think she did those pretty quickly from patterns off she got free.  If you are interested I can post a picture so you can get an idea.
  • sarenu1 said:
    2015 is really going to be about finishing projects, since there's a good chance we will be moving again and I could see moving as something that would really kill any uncompleted projects. 

My sister made some adorable pancakes, bacon, pop tarts,eggs and bread felt items for my kids.

I think she did those pretty quickly from patterns off she got free.  If you are interested I can post a picture so you can get an idea.
    Would love to see ideas! I think the projects I have been looking at might be too ambitious in terms of time required, but sometimes one just needs to re-prioritize ...
  • TJ1979 said:

@sarenu1‌ I want to see the ones your sister did out of felt! Can you see felt with a regular sewing machine?

You would need to hand sew a lot of them. Most of them have stuffing. I'll post some pictures later tonight.
  • I have a pile of diapers that need new elastics so they can be sold. After that, I want to make a quilt or two to try to sell on my FB dip group. I also had a ton of fun making g1's doll, so I want to make more of those once my "in progress" pile gets under control.
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I would love to make something like this: image
    This is the cutest thing ever!  I really want to make a play kitchen for DS for his birthday and these would go along with it so well!
    I think these are my favorite. Screw felt.
    Right?  I totally discovered a quilting fabric store in my neighborhood, too. So many cute pattern options...
    I think these are my favorite. Screw felt.
    Right?  I totally discovered a quilting fabric store in my neighborhood, too. So many cute pattern options...
    Love it!  Care to share any pattern links? These would be SO much faster than knitting or crochet.
  • I really want to make felt food and a play kitchen for M. I love the play kitchens you can make from old TV cabinets. It feels ambitious, but she's only 8 months, so I've got time. Also, I got inspired today and made a tshirt bag! I hemmed the bottom to give me practice with my sewing machine and so it wouldn't have a little hole in the bottom like the no-sew version. It was satisfying to do a project that took less than an hour to the finished product.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"