Cloth Diapering

TT MA bread makers

Recommendations? Are they worth the money and counter space? Will it make me more inclined to make my own bread?

Re: TT MA bread makers

• I have one and I LOVE it. I use it a lot. The bread comes out great. I have a cuisinart programmable machine. It wasn't cheap but its worth it. I did get a good deal on it from Amazon though. It's easy to clean and I haven't had any issues. I've been using it weekly for over a year.

The zojirushi brand is also excellent.

If you are going to get one, do not get a cheap one.
  • Had one, rarely used it.  Got Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook - most weeks we have fresh bread 3 - 4 nights.  
  • Loading the player...
  • DM718 said:

Had one, rarely used it.  Got Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook - most weeks we have fresh bread 3 - 4 nights.  

+1 on this series. It's super easy once you get the hang of it.
  • ovenrack said:
    Had one, rarely used it.  Got Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook - most weeks we have fresh bread 3 - 4 nights.  
    +1 on this series. It's super easy once you get the hang of it.
    Agreed, it is really good.  
    Was going to say the same thing. Also, if you have a nice food processor, you can use it to make single loaf amounts or pizza dough quick and easy.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Since I'm dairy-free, my bread maker is my best friend. Ours was a hand-me-down, probably kinda cheap, and is at least 12 years old. When I am not using it, I store it in the utility room.

Also, I recently bought the bread box that MK recommended, and my bread stays fresh a lot longer!

• Mapleme said:
    @unaveragejane‌ can you link to that bread box again? I need to get something that will keep DH from putting bread in the fridge because ew.
    https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Adjustable-Bread-Keeper/dp/B001BB2LMM/ref=zg_bs_13880451_1

I think this is the one. I have it too.
  • Yes, that's it, @Brandiewine11‌. Thanks!

• Mapleme said:
    Oh and anyone who does the 5 minute breads, do they have a good whole grain bread? I'm struggling to find a whole grain recipe/method that will yield bread that I consistently like.
    One of the books in the series is Healthy Breads in 5 Minutes a Day, and has a number of recipes incorporating whole grains. I've tried a few of the recipes and they're not bad. Once you get the main concepts down you can tweak things to suit your taste. When I was baking bread a lot I think I based our light rye off of their recipes.
  • I know I once made a nice wheat bread in a pan in the slow cooker. It turned out really well-- I found the recipe on Pinterest somewhere...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• So those of you that love it, what makes them so great? Do you just dump everything in and walk away? Sorry, I obviously know nothing about them.
  • Yes! Throw everything in and you have a warm loaf of preservative-free bread in 3 or 4 hours. I found an easy recipe for white bread that is great for sandwiches and so far has been fool proof, except for the time I forgot to put the mixing paddle in the pan. I'm still working on finding a wheat recipe I like, but I'm going to try the one mentioned above.

• Can you do specialty breads in a bread machine? Like a zucchini bread or something?
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • ovenrack said:
    The problem with even super simple recipes like ABI5MAD (ha ha ha ha ha) is that sometimes you forget to take the dough out at the wrong time, or don't let it rise long enough, or can't take it out of the oven at the proper time.  

I mean, that's pathetic, I know... but it is the truth.  

I literally have had baby poo on my hands when an oven timer went off.  And then I forget... and then things are burnt... I've become less scatterbrained, but bread machines are great in that you load in ingredients, and LITERALLY can press 'go' and then leave it, and it turns into bread.  Fully formed, warm, delicious bread.
    I hear you. This is why I haven't done much baking since DS came along. But with a bread machine, I can't see getting a really good crust. Or has anyone managed to solve that problem?
  • My machine has crust settings. The darkest gets a pretty thick, crunchy crust.

• That's why I was thinking of getting a bread maker. I seriously doubt my commitment top mailing fresh bread all the time with two kids. But I can handle dumping stuff in. So, is this something that I should buy new, or check out goodwill/thrift stores since some people obviously hate them?
  • As much as I love thrift stores (and I do) I think I'd buy it new, or ask friends/family if anyone has one they'd like to get rid of.
    Why?  Because you can't try it out in the thrift store, and if it doesn't work then it's pretty much just a ginormous paperweight.
    Also...if you get one with a non-stick coating, which makes it much easier to remove the bread, then a secondhand one may have scratches, defeating the non-stick.

We have one that my hubby swore up and down he'd use every week to make bread.
    I don't think we've used it once since our son was born (he's nearly 17 months old).
  • As much as I love thrift stores (and I do) I think I'd buy it new, or ask friends/family if anyone has one they'd like to get rid of.
    Why?  Because you can't try it out in the thrift store, and if it doesn't work then it's pretty much just a ginormous paperweight.
    Also...if you get one with a non-stick coating, which makes it much easier to remove the bread, then a secondhand one may have scratches, defeating the non-stick.

We have one that my hubby swore up and down he'd use every week to make bread.
    I don't think we've used it once since our son was born (he's nearly 17 months old).

That's kinda what I was thinking. Jane, what brand do you have?
  • Mine is a West Bend America's Favorite. I threw a loaf together this morning while L chilled in the RNP and N stood on a stool "helping." It is cooking now, and I am just about ready to tear the house apart to eat everything bc the bread smells so good.

• Now you've got me wanting bread.  Mmmm bread.
    May have to get the breadmaker out.
  • Mine is a Breadman Pro. Got it off my wedding registry about 5 years ago. I love it, except DH will never eat the bread after the first day. I'm going to have to get one of thise bread boxes. I usually pair fresh bread with my crockpot meals. Put all the ingredients in in the morning and set the timer to be ready just before dinnertime and dinner makes itself!
  • I bought a bread maker. Here's to hoping that I'll make lots of tasty bread. 
  • Oh! This reminded me: I looked at the back of my breadmaker, and it was manufactured in 1995!! Apparently these things last forever. :) Here's to all the frsh bread, flumma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"