Cloth Diapering

News and NCDR question

Soooo...we got a very surprising Xmas present. Bfp. Totally unplanned, as a matter of fact I was trying to go back on bcp but my ins had denied my rx so I was trying to sort it all out. Too late. Oops.

I think this would be exciting news but honestly I'm terrified. I had such a horrible experience with my daughter. I don't know how I can go through it again and take care of a toddler. Did I mention I'm terrified? Ok I'm TERRIFIED.

So my question which I'm really hoping one of you know the answer to is about coffee. I'm not supposed to drink any because I'm AMA with a history of loss. But drinking coffee helps me clear the pipes so to speak. In first tri with my daughter my constipation was SO BAD that I was constantly in pain and had to resort to extreme measures. I will spare you the TMI. I was on Zofran for my extreme morning sickness and I know that made it worse. I took colace 3 times a day and it didn't help. I tried to drink tons of water but my ms was so bad it was really hard. I tried miralax too but it only helped the first couple times. Nothing worked.

Do you know if drinking decaf would have the same benefit as regular coffee or is it the caffeine that has the effect? I'm trying to prevent living the same Hell twice. I'm desperate. Especially if I have to take Zofran again I know I'm going to have the same problem. Anyone have any wisdom here?
Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.

Re: News and NCDR question

• @Mapleme‌ thank you- is that prune juice blend you're talking about? Prune/pineapple?

@stoneycakes‌ thank you and,

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Guennie, if you don't mind my asking, where is the info coming from on the not drinking coffee?  I'll be in the same boat as you with any future pregnancies and I was planning on having a cup a day for the exact same reason as you.
  • Wow! Congratulations! I don't drink coffee, but I wanted to send hugs and hope. My second pregnancy went a lot different than my first and in most respects was easier. FXed that you have an easier boat to row this time, too!

• Guennie, if you don't mind my asking, where is the info coming from on the not drinking coffee?  I'll be in the same boat as you with any future pregnancies and I was planning on having a cup a day for the exact same reason as you.

My RE said no coffee for me. He said there is a possible link to miscarriage especially if you are AMA. It's constantly debated but I wasn't willing to take the risk.
  • Hey, congrats mama! First-- take a deep breath. You can do this! Every pregnancy is different, so maybe you wont need the Zofran and get so backed up. I work with patients recovering from surgery, so I think about 1/4 of my job is helping them poop. Here's what I know, but I'm not sure which are safe for preg: Colace, senokot, miralax, metamucil, water, water, water, apple juice, prune juice (hot if you can stand it), activity, fiber, enemas. The list goes on and on. I would say take preventative measures if you can so you don't get behind it. And yes, it's probably the caffeine that makes you go with coffee, but like stoney said, maybe check with a provider about risk/benefit because I've never heard of no caffeine for AMA. Best of luck-- you got this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congrats! I know it's pretty terrifying (unplanned baby on the way), but it will all be ok in the end.

I was very strict about no caffeine during the first 12 weeks. What I found helped alot was a type of decaf coffee that is Swiss water processed, which means it isn't decaffeinated using the chemical processes most decaf coffee goes through. I found mine through Black Coffee Roasting Company, which offered a mail subscription. It helped me stay regular and still have my coffee!

I still drink it even, because 8oz of regular coffee has more than twice the caffeine as a 12 oz can of mountain dew! I generally let my one caffeine source a day be cherry Pepsi (totally a random pregnancy craving).

Hope this helps!
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NvywifeNvywife member
    edited December 2014
    Congrats! I lived on a steady diet of zofran and stool softeners (not all stool softener are created equal, mine is prescribed) for the first 7 months. I found that I still had to take milk of magnesia once a week. Also eating things high in fiber like oatmeal right from the start helps. Fingers crossed you have a much easier pregnancy this go around.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • I agree with @mamalamb10‌ about a cup of hot water helping wih digestion. It does work
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Wow! Congratulations! I don't drink coffee, but I wanted to send hugs and hope. My second pregnancy went a lot different than my first and in most respects was easier. FXed that you have an easier boat to row this time, too!

Thank you, I so hope I can somehow manage to avoid going through the same thing twice!!
  • Congrats! I know it's pretty terrifying (unplanned baby on the way), but it will all be ok in the end.

I was very strict about no caffeine during the first 12 weeks. What I found helped alot was a type of decaf coffee that is Swiss water processed, which means it isn't decaffeinated using the chemical processes most decaf coffee goes through. I found mine through Black Coffee Roasting Company, which offered a mail subscription. It helped me stay regular and still have my coffee!

I still drink it even, because 8oz of regular coffee has more than twice the caffeine as a 12 oz can of mountain dew! I generally let my one caffeine source a day be cherry Pepsi (totally a random pregnancy craving).

Hope this helps!

I'm going to look this up!! Thank you!!!
  • Thank you so much everyone! I'm really trying to find a way to prevent it before it even starts this time. I so appreciate your suggestions as well as your positive messages!!
  • To answer the question...yes, decaf will probably have the same "effect".
    As one of my friends used to say... "Decaf is for people that like to pee a lot" or in this case poo.
  • Skipping all the responses to say that I was 42 with 3 miscarriages in my history when I got pg with ds2 and mfm never said a word about coffee.....I had to avoid it due to pg aversion (it caused me to puke) but not because I was instructed to.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I don't have much advice as I too struggle, but I just wanted to say congrats!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

• My doctor said not to drink decaf.  They said you don't actually know how much caffeine is removed and the chemicals used to remove it are worse than the caffeine.  They said 8 oz of regular per day is fine.

Congratulations on the new little one!
  • My doctor said not to drink decaf.  They said you don't actually know how much caffeine is removed and the chemicals used to remove it are worse than the caffeine.  They said 8 oz of regular per day is fine.

Congratulations on the new little one!
    According to my research, this is true which is why I only drink the Swiss water p processed decaf.

Also -chia seeds are an awesome suggestion!!! My mom makes this porridge stuff with them and it is incredibly helpful. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. I've soaked them in just water before and drank them and it has helped.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can also shake the chia seeds vigorously in milk or chocolate milk and it's like pudding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Pumpkin also works wonders for constipation! If you can mix it into a smoothie. It's really yummy with a banana, milk, ice and cinnamon. You could also combine a package of cake mix, pumpkin and a bit of water. Bake in muffin tins. I call them the Consitpation Cure Cupcakes. lol.
  • Um, also-bananas are binding.
    I've heard greener ones are binding, but ripe ones do the opposite.  It seems to be true for DS, who is a banana connaisseur.
    This makes so much sense!!! I love bananas and only learned recently that they are binding, which surprised me, because I had never noticed that. But I am way into super ripe bananas. I like them right around the same time the fruit flies start taking an interest.
    That's really weird, I've never heard that. We don't eat them when they're green, but I do notice like when L or I have had too many. It's also part of the BRATY diet for diarrhea. We don't wait til they are brown bc we buy a ton and the kids can't handle the wait, but usually they end up that way before the last one is gone. So is "ripe enough" when they are turning brown?
    I think once they're speckled.  I don't really notice a binding effect from the less mature ones, but I feel like the spotted ones make DS poop shortly after.
  • Now that I think about it I think this is true about bananas...if I eat one before it's all the way ripe it constipates me but if it's getting brown it does the opposite.
  • I wonder about the pumpkin... I make pumpkin apple curry soup. I could try that if I'm able to stomach it. Where do you get chia seeds? Are they hard to find?
  • Hmmm, I always thought bananas were part of the brat diet due to digestability without causing further irritation....not for any impact on constipation/diarrhea.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Yes, yes, yes. Always listen to @Chickypoo2468‌. I just meant regarding the caffeine.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • @Chickypoo2468‌ when say add a tiny bit of chia seeds to juice, are you thinking a 1/2 tsp or a pinch? DH wants to try this, but I don't want to be responsible for making his belly miserable ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Hmmm, I always thought bananas were part of the brat diet due to digestability without causing further irritation....not for any impact on constipation/diarrhea.

I thought the same, as I believe they are the same recommendations as when you are vomiting.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • scaggsed said:

Hmmm, I always thought bananas were part of the brat diet due to digestability without causing further irritation....not for any impact on constipation/diarrhea.

I thought the same, as I believe they are the same recommendations as when you are vomiting.
    Bannanas make me vomit. This is a terrible suggestion. Ewweeewww! ;)
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Decaf will definitely keep you moving. So will taking some natural calm magnesium supplement every day.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to say congratulations!!

Bannanas make me vomit. This is a terrible suggestion. Ewweeewww! ;)
    You and @TJ1979‌ are going to get along like a house on fire.
    My thoughts exactly!
  • Thanks again everyone. My mom suggested magnesium too.

Things have been stressful. I found out my dr isn't doing OB anymore so I have to find a new dr. Nobody will see me without reviewing my records first because they consider me high risk. So I have been left hanging in limbo and I haven't even been able to do a beta draw yet. My emotions are all over the place since I don't even know if this is a viable pregnancy.

The good news is my h really pulled himself together since his initial freakout and he is being very supportive. So at least I don't have to worry about that.

I started an arsenal of prune juice, pineapple juice and high fiber cereal LOL. With any luck maybe I can prevent disaster before it happens.

Sorry I'm not on here much right now, this has just been overwhelming.
  • I'm sorry, that sounds incredibly stressful.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"