August 2014 Moms

BFing mom sick, two dry diapers

I got a stomach bug today, and started vomiting severely accompanied with diarrhea around 2:00 today. At 6:00 pm I went to the ER to get some fluids back in as I was still having large amounts of liquids leave my body. They got me back there about 7:30, gave me some Zofran and liquids via IV. I'm still nursing and he seems to be eating, but he hasn't had a wet diaper since 1:45 pm. It's now 12:15 am. Thoughts? Should I supplement and pump? TIA.

Re: BFing mom sick, two dry diapers

• Not sure about your LO, but I'm wondering about your supply. Do you pump or already supplement? I'd hate to see your supply tank just because the demand decreases (if you supplement for the first time).
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • I had the stomach bug earlier this week. I just kept nursing like crazy, despite how awful it was, and we made it through. I did give her one pumped bottle I already had in the fridge after a few dry diapers, but I made sure to pump even though very little came out. I noticed my supply was back to normal once I started eating again.

To answer the question on what you should do, like PP said, do you already supplement? I would not go to that, unless that is something you already do. Try and eat something, keep drinking what you can, and keep nursing. Call the pediatrician though if you're still concerned! Good luck and feel better!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you @Elaina22‌ and @raquelynn714‌!! I should have mentioned that I'm at my IL's so I don't have any pumped milk available. The nurse at the ER said I should pump and supplement depending on how much I get out. I was worried that it would ruin my supply, but I don't know how long I should let LO go with dry diapers. I'll put a call into his doctor.
  • Eena1242 said:

Thank you @Elaina22‌ and @raquelynn714‌!! I should have mentioned that I'm at my IL's so I don't have any pumped milk available. The nurse at the ER said I should pump and supplement depending on how much I get out. I was worried that it would ruin my supply, but I don't know how long I should let LO go with dry diapers. I'll put a call into his doctor.

Ugh. Terrible time to be at your IL's with no milk on hand. As long as you pump anytime you supplement, your supply should be fine. And like I said, eat and drink as much as you can!
  • I don't have any advice to add, but I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ick! I hope you're feeling a bit better! As far as LO- I think we worry more when things like this happen and maybe having dry diapers isn't that unusual for her, you're just being more vigilant about checking them? I'm in the camp of trusting my body to take care of LO (even at my expense usually). That said, def give the pedi a call and see but try not to worry momma! Rest and take care of yourself.
  • I can't imagine going through all of that at my ILs.  So sorry for you.  How is your LO acting?  Is he acting hungry or frustrated?  Does he have any signs of dehydration (dry lips, sunken soft spot)?  If so, I might consider supplementing as needed for a day or two.  If not, I wouldn't worry about it.  Your LO may have a mild form of what you have and not really feel much like eating.  At four months your supply has regulated and isn't nearly as touchy as in the first 3 months.  Even though you get a dip with this illness, it will return to normal as long as you don't decrease demand by supplementing without pumping. 
  • dvmmomma said:
    Ick! I hope you're feeling a bit better! As far as LO- I think we worry more when things like this happen and maybe having dry diapers isn't that unusual for her, you're just being more vigilant about checking them? I'm in the camp of trusting my body to take care of LO (even at my expense usually). That said, def give the pedi a call and see but try not to worry momma! Rest and take care of yourself.
    This, all of it. If LO isn't fussy at the breast or acting hungry, I try not to worry.

I'm so sorry you are so sick and not at home. Here's hoping things get better very soon.
  • I just went through this two weeks ago! I am so sorry. Hope you feel better soon. The biggest issue i has with this crud was staying hydrated myself, enough to make milk. It lasted two days for me, then after, I nursed every hour and a half to two hours to remind my body what it needs to do.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Eena1242Eena1242 member
    edited December 2014
    Hey everyone! We are doing a lot better today. His diapers are back to normal and I've been able to keep in pedialyte and ensure. We slept most of the day. I have no idea what hit me last night, but it was awful! Thank you all for your advice and for checking in on us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"