TTC after 35

Second Opinion Meltdown

edited December 2014 in TTC after 35
So, I set up a consult with the other fertility clinic in town, because I'm getting so frustrated. I feel like our RE won't level with us about our chances, and won't give us straight answers about our diagnosis. I have a blocked tube, then I don't. I have extensive endometriosis, then it's mild. 

I asked DH to go with me, because I get overwhelmed when I need to process a lot of spoken information very quickly (mild learning disability). He started making jokes about how he was no help because he was just going to read a book while he was there anyway. That's when the bawling, mouth open, ugly crying started, I am very, very not up for jokes right now. Luckily he backpedaled and apologized right away, but I basically had to lay it on the line. I have been through an abusive upbringing, unemployment, an eating disorder, a divorce, you name it. IF is the worst thing I've ever been through, because it just goes on and on. There's no fix and no relief. 

So, here's hoping the new RE helps. At the very least, I want somebody to tell us the truth so that if parenthood isn't in our future, we can let go and move on.
Me: 38 DH: 40 TTC#1 (and likely only) since 9/13. Saw RE 5/14, SA good, AMH 2.36, FSH 7.2, estradiol 69.6 indicating good egg reserve. Using OPKs. First Letrozole cycle 6/14, a burst cyst and a BFN. Second Letrozole cycle 7/14, BFN. 

Update 11/14 - had laparoscopy 10/28, good news is that my uterus and left tube look good, and they were able to drain the cyst on my left ovary. Bad news is that right tube and ovary have endo and scar tissue, so they're pretty useless.. Best news is that we finally have some answers and a path forward. Taking 7.5 mg letrozole CD 2-6 to put that good left ovary through its paces. 

UPDATE 2/2015 - We switched to another fertility clinic, but fortunately we don't have to start all over. We're doing two cycles of Clomid plus IUI, if neither of those take, we'll do IVF in April, potentially with ICSI. (DH's SA has gone downhill, likely due to excessive exercise.) IUI#1 2/25/15....

Re: Second Opinion Meltdown

• Big hugs to you.
    I hope you get some strait answers. Maybe tell the doctor right away that you want him to to be honest and upfront about everything. No sugar coating.
    Let us know how it goes.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• tons of hugs! hope the appointment gets you some answers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs!!  I hope your appointment goes well. I agree with @hooligans4 Let the Dr know you would appreciate honesty.  You are a strong woman!!!  
    ****Siggy Warning***
    ~Formerly ABabyMabe4us

Me(35) Him(35) Untied for life 4/1/2015.
    TTC Our 1st since 8/2014
    MC @ 7 weeks 5/2014
    Me: DD#1 3/2000, DD#2 6/2001, DS 5/2003
    BFP: 2/19/2015 EDD: 11/1/2015 IT'S A BOY!!!!

• so many *hugs* to you, hon. You've been through a lot! 

I hope that you like the new RE. Make sure you let them know you don't want anything sugar coated. 

I understand your frustration. More *hugs* just because :)
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Another wish that the new RE gives you some answers and straight talk.
    me:41   dh:43 
    Off Mirena Nov 2013, On Nuvaring end of Jan, Back off Sept 2014.  Never ending cycle starting end of Sept... 
    11/14 Provera failed... cycle continues 
    12/14 High FSH (57 "midcycle")  OBGYN had no clue... about anything 
    01/15 More lab results coming back from RE. U/S showed small (1")cyst on left ovary, thin lining, and couldn't locate right ovary so  possibly straight to DE and IVF 

Occassionally mess with the chart below to see "what if" and learn (not to make it pretty but because FF stays drunk with me).  

My Ovulation Chart
  • Hope you have a very positive visit with your new RE and you get the answers your hoping for! Sending positive vibes your way!
    Me: 40  
    TTC #1: 3 years
    Me: Type II Diabetic
    Started with RE 11/2014
    Going through IUI with Donor Sperm

• edited December 2014
    Thanks y'all. DH deals with things by making dumb jokes or shutting down, which leaves me feeling abandoned. We're dealing with it, and he's gotten better, but sometimes it flares up.

I'm really not looking forward to the IL's getting here for Christmas - FIL loves useless platitudes ("just adopt" - sure, let me run on down to the Baby Store!), and MIL fancies herself a medical expert and will ask if I should really be having that glass of wine. They mean well, but I feel nitpicked instead of supported. 
    Me: 38 DH: 40 TTC#1 (and likely only) since 9/13. Saw RE 5/14, SA good, AMH 2.36, FSH 7.2, estradiol 69.6 indicating good egg reserve. Using OPKs. First Letrozole cycle 6/14, a burst cyst and a BFN. Second Letrozole cycle 7/14, BFN. 

Update 11/14 - had laparoscopy 10/28, good news is that my uterus and left tube look good, and they were able to drain the cyst on my left ovary. Bad news is that right tube and ovary have endo and scar tissue, so they're pretty useless.. Best news is that we finally have some answers and a path forward. Taking 7.5 mg letrozole CD 2-6 to put that good left ovary through its paces. 

UPDATE 2/2015 - We switched to another fertility clinic, but fortunately we don't have to start all over. We're doing two cycles of Clomid plus IUI, if neither of those take, we'll do IVF in April, potentially with ICSI. (DH's SA has gone downhill, likely due to excessive exercise.) IUI#1 2/25/15....
  • I'm so sorry, and I'm sorry you have the in-law visit hanging over you, too.  I'm right there with you on that one.

I agree with PPs that letting the Dr. know exactly what you're looking for is a good idea.  I hope you're able to get some real answers!  Hugs.
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Thanks y'all. DH deals with things by making dumb jokes or shutting down, which leaves me feeling abandoned. We're dealing with it, and he's gotten better, but sometimes it flares up.

I'm really not looking forward to the IL's getting here for Christmas - FIL loves useless platitudes ("just adopt" - sure, let me run on down to the Baby Store!), and MIL fancies herself a medical expert and will ask if I should really be having that glass of wine. They mean well, but I feel nitpicked instead of supported. 
    MH is a jokster by nature, it only took a few times of me punching him in the face before he stopped. (ok, I didn't really punch him in the face..maybe the arm :)  ) 

I am sorry about your IL's visit, that would be very tense. Can YH talk to them and ask them not to try and "help"? 
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• First off, it is super common to be overwhelmed in those appts...they are very emotional, a lot of information is being thrown at you, you never know if you can trust what they are saying (let's face it, it is difficult to get two doctors to agree on anything complicated). So I wouldn't blame it on a learning disability (if so, I've got it too!) Do you have a recorder on your phone? ;)

These holidays really tend to amplify difficult IF feelings. Anybody have a quaalude? Do they still make quaaludes?? GL.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • That might not be a bad idea. MIL is sensitive about alcohol as it is (issues run in her family), so I think that's a factor in the hovering. Maybe I can ask DH to fetch them at the airport alone, and say something to them about not judging or making comments.

• Hope the appointment goes smoothly and a straight forward  plan evolves, best wishes with the IL's..
  • Good luck at your RE appointment and I hope the visit with the IL's goes well!  ((hugs))
  • I hope you get answers from the new RE.  When were you able to get an appointment?  Soon, I hope.  My husband is also one to make jokes at not quite appropriate times.  Most of the time, I just give him "a look" but during our infertility struggles, there has been more than once when I've lost it.  Luckily, my husband, like yours, is smart enough to know when to backpedal and apologize.  It's just the way they deal with things, I guess.  My heart goes out to you though, because I totally understand how you probably felt.  

GOOD LUCK with your in laws. I had my family Christmas on Saturday and not a single person asked me about TTC!  I couldn't believe it.  I had prepped myself to deal with it the day after my negative beta, but I didn't even have to!  Maybe they're learning.  I think it's a GREAT idea to have your DH pick them up and say something to them about not judging.  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • I'm sorry you're having to go through this and feel like your doctor isn't giving you straight answers. I hope this new doc is a better fit for you and you find out all you need.
  • I am sorry about the IL. I hope it goes smooth.  I told my SO when we first meet that if he never meet my mother, it meant I really really liked him.  He now understands what I meant. :(
    ****Siggy Warning***
    ~Formerly ABabyMabe4us

Me(35) Him(35) Untied for life 4/1/2015.
    TTC Our 1st since 8/2014
    MC @ 7 weeks 5/2014
    Me: DD#1 3/2000, DD#2 6/2001, DS 5/2003
    BFP: 2/19/2015 EDD: 11/1/2015 IT'S A BOY!!!!

• I hope the next RE shoots it straight and you like them. Every appointment is overwhelming for me too and the holidays seemed to have amped up the TTC failure crazies for me as well. Totally understand!
    Good luck with the in-law visit. It sounds like a good idea for your DH to get some alone time with them to maybe squelch the topic.
  • Big hugs for you! I hope the new RE gives you straight answers. I agree with all the other ladies in letting hime know that you're looking for honest answers. When is your appointment? Hope you don't have to wait too long.
    peregrinefalconx I must have it too. Whenever I have a Dr appointment I somehow forget most of the questions I had before I walked in and forget half the info I was given as soon as I walk out the door. 
    I hope your husband can buffer you IL over the holidays. 
    ****Loss Mentioned***
    Me: 41 Him: 41
    TTC since December 2013
    HSG 9/18/14 = Tubes open but T shaped uterus
    IUI #1... 1/6/2015 + 50mg Clomid = BFN
    IUI #2... 1/29 & 30/2015 + 50mg Clomid +Tigger +Progesterone = BFN
    3/14 BFFP! Natural w/acupuncture & herbs only
    EDD = 11/22/15;  No heartbeat = 7/21/15
    Cooper Midnight Johnson born sleeping 7/25/2015

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hope your new RE helps you get some answers. Sorry to hear about upcoming IL visit I hope it goes well for u.
  • Thinking of you. I am so sorry you are facing this. It is not fun and it definitely feels endless. I hope you get the answers you need. I am glad YH saw his error quickly. Not that it makes it right, but he truly might have been trying to break the tension and perhaps he is nervous himself.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • I'm feeling a lot better today. Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing the IL's, I really do like spending time with them. And I can see things from their side - they want a grandbaby, and they don't want to see us suffer any more. So the suggestions come from a place of helplessness, not judgment or malice. Unfortunately, unsolicited advice just amps up the misery. Our appointment is Jan 16.

• I am glad you're feeling better today! 

• I can see that. We're trying not to talk to our family about the TTC process for that reason. But it's weird to keep something this big a secret.
    TTC #1
    me- 37, DH- 38
    Married 6.28.14, started TTC right away
    BFP Nov 2015, PPROM Feb 2016
    ER #1 May 2017, 15 retrieved, 10 fertilized, 3 day 5.
    ER#2 July 2017, 22 retrieved, 13 fertilized, 6 day 5/6
    9 embryos tested for pgs and pgd.  
    FET #1 9.29.17- 1 embryo-BFN
    FET#2 12.19.17- I embryo-BFP 1/1/18! Happy New Year to me! EDD 9/6/18
    Baby boy born 9.11.18- the love of my life!

• Just lending support. It's great that you can see that the ILs come from a good place.

It's hard to be on the outside when you just wish someone you love could be happy and there's nothing you can do really to help make it happen.

I hope your next appt is helpful and productive!
    36, DH 31 TTC #1 since we got married, July 2014. http://FertilityFriend.com/home/522fa4/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good luck at ur apt, hope you get the info 100%. Keep us posted
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"