3rd Trimester

Too little weight gain?

With my first child, my daughter, I was 98lbs pre-pregnancy and gained 45lbs. This time around, I was 118lbs pre-pregnancy and as of 32 weeks, have only gained 16lbs. Is this normal? I feel like I should gave gained much more by now. My belly is measuring right on track but I'm really worried my baby is going to be too tiny bc im not gaining enough weight. Advice? Suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Too little weight gain?

• I had a lapse in my prenatal care right before my 28w check up so I havent been seen since 24w. My drs office dropped me as a patient and the soonest I could get it with my new dr will be this coming friday (ill be 33w then). The nurse I saw didnt mention anything about my weight gain so I guess it wasnt an issue but it still worries me. I just want a healthy baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first child, my daughter, I was 98lbs pre-pregnancy and gained 45lbs. This time around, I was 118lbs pre-pregnancy and as of 32 weeks, have only gained 16lbs. Is this normal? I feel like I should gave gained much more by now. My belly is measuring right on track but I'm really worried my baby is going to be too tiny bc im not gaining enough weight. Advice? Suggestions? Thank you!

I had a lapse in my prenatal care right before my 28w check up so I havent been seen since 24w. My drs office dropped me as a patient and the soonest I could get it with my new dr will be this coming friday (ill be 33w then). The nurse I saw didnt mention anything about my weight gain so I guess it wasnt an issue but it still worries me. I just want a healthy baby.

Why did your dr drop you?
  • I wouldn't worry too much. I gained the most with my first pregnancy. Nearly 60lbs. I started out at 100lbs. But with the next 2 I only gained 20 or just near 20lbs. This time I am at 15lbs total at 37weeks. Of course I am on a GD diet. But everyone is different.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • My dr droppede bc they said I was too high risk for them to continue my care bc o had a few episodes of preterm contractions, but the way they did it was totally unethical. They wouldnt refer me anywhere or give me refills on my Lovenox until I found another dr :( it was just a bad situation. I see my new dr for the first time on Jan 2.
  • etoille said:

My dr droppede bc they said I was too high risk for them to continue my care bc o had a few episodes of preterm contractions, but the way they did it was totally unethical. They wouldnt refer me anywhere or give me refills on my Lovenox until I found another dr :( it was just a bad situation. I see my new dr for the first time on Jan 2.

Lol thats pretty much it.. I showed up for my 28w check up and they told me they couldnt continue my care and that I would have to find a new dr. No referrel, no suggestions, nothing. Wouldnt even give me refills for Lovenox to hold me over until I found a new dr. Luckily, I called the hospital and the charge nurse helped me get an appt through the high risk clinic so my first appt with them is jan 2.
  • etoille said:

etoille said:

My dr droppede bc they said I was too high risk for them to continue my care bc o had a few episodes of preterm contractions, but the way they did it was totally unethical. They wouldnt refer me anywhere or give me refills on my Lovenox until I found another dr :( it was just a bad situation. I see my new dr for the first time on Jan 2.

Lol thats pretty much it.. I showed up for my 28w check up and they told me they couldnt continue my care and that I would have to find a new dr. No referrel, no suggestions, nothing. Wouldnt even give me refills for Lovenox to hold me over until I found a new dr. Luckily, I called the hospital and the charge nurse helped me get an appt through the high risk clinic so my first appt with them is jan 2.

The same hospital that you hate?

cnu_gurl said:

My doctor i am fine with, it's the hospital i have a problem with. My second child was born via c-section, and ended up in NICU, i am trying for a VBAC this time. I have been reading online about the L&D unit at my hospital, and it is real nice, i finally go in for my tour.... there is no NICU at this hospital!?!? If something happens they will transport baby to a hospital that is over an hour away. I would not be transported, I would have to wait to be discharged, which they said they would do right away, but what if i can't/shouldn't be discharged right away? I have never been in a hospital where there in no NICU, and now i am having major anxiety over this. My hospital is about 20 minutes away, the next nearest hospital(not the one they would transport baby to) is 30 minutes away, in the opposite direction, but they have a NICU. If I change hospitals, i change doctors. I'm not sure what to do. I'm 33 weeks, has anyone ever changed doctors this late in the game, or been in a hospital without a NICU. Am i worrying over nothing? Help!!

You have every right to be worried! I would definitely talk to your dr about this and see what their thoughts are. Is it the same dr that delivered your other child? I def feel your pain. I was dropped by my dr at 28w and now I had to change drs and hospitals. I HATE the hospital that I will have to deliver at but its bc they have the best NICU that I have to go there. I hate it bc the drs are all residents that arent much older than me (im 25) and I dont like the way they do things there. Just checking my cervix during 1 visit, I had 2 drs and 3 nurses watching (both drs had to check me) and all but 2 nurses were men. It was extemely uncomfortable for me but I had no say in it :( I really hope everything goes well for you!!!

------------------------------
    Sorry I feel like there's more to the story here...as evidenced in your vent thread.  There sounds like a lot more going on than 'pre-term labor' as the reason your doctor 'dropped you'.  Like in another post you said the PTL started 26 weeks....your doctor decided in two weeks because of PTL (one of which you stated were BH contractions only) out of nowhere to drop you...after two weeks?  You also posted another weight - related thread at 21 weeks.  I am with other posters - between your posts here and your mental history as you discussed in your post (bi-polar, anxiety, depression) I think that you need to invest some time in researching mental health resources in your area.

Wow... Didnt think you would want my whole pregnancy history but here ya go.
    21w had a hospital trip for contractions. No dialation and was sent home bc they were just frequent BH.
    23w hospital trip for contractions. Was given breathene shot, stopped contractions. Was prescribed progesterone suppositories bc I was a fingertip dialated.
    25w hospital trip for contractions. 2 breathene shots, magnesium drip stopped contractions. Stayed overnight.
    26w hospital trip for contractions. 1 breathene shot and magnesium drip stopped contractions. Stayed overnight again. Was put on bedrest and upped dosage of progesterone bc I was also 50% effaced at this point and still a fingertip dialated.
    28w check up, dr dropped me as a patient.
    31w hospital trip for contractions. They were only BH but I was having 10-12 per hour.

Just bc im bipolar doesnt mean im randomly making things up to seek advice for... I was under the impression this was a place to simply talk to other women who might have personal experience and advice for what you may be going through...
  • etoille said:

etoille said:

The same hospital that you hate?

cnu_gurl said:

My doctor i am fine with, it's the hospital i have a problem with. My second child was born via c-section, and ended up in NICU, i am trying for a VBAC this time. I have been reading online about the L&D unit at my hospital, and it is real nice, i finally go in for my tour.... there is no NICU at this hospital!?!? If something happens they will transport baby to a hospital that is over an hour away. I would not be transported, I would have to wait to be discharged, which they said they would do right away, but what if i can't/shouldn't be discharged right away? I have never been in a hospital where there in no NICU, and now i am having major anxiety over this. My hospital is about 20 minutes away, the next nearest hospital(not the one they would transport baby to) is 30 minutes away, in the opposite direction, but they have a NICU. If I change hospitals, i change doctors. I'm not sure what to do. I'm 33 weeks, has anyone ever changed doctors this late in the game, or been in a hospital without a NICU. Am i worrying over nothing? Help!!

You have every right to be worried! I would definitely talk to your dr about this and see what their thoughts are. Is it the same dr that delivered your other child? I def feel your pain. I was dropped by my dr at 28w and now I had to change drs and hospitals. I HATE the hospital that I will have to deliver at but its bc they have the best NICU that I have to go there. I hate it bc the drs are all residents that arent much older than me (im 25) and I dont like the way they do things there. Just checking my cervix during 1 visit, I had 2 drs and 3 nurses watching (both drs had to check me) and all but 2 nurses were men. It was extemely uncomfortable for me but I had no say in it :( I really hope everything goes well for you!!!

------------------------------
    Sorry I feel like there's more to the story here...as evidenced in your vent thread.  There sounds like a lot more going on than 'pre-term labor' as the reason your doctor 'dropped you'.  Like in another post you said the PTL started 26 weeks....your doctor decided in two weeks because of PTL (one of which you stated were BH contractions only) out of nowhere to drop you...after two weeks?  You also posted another weight - related thread at 21 weeks.  I am with other posters - between your posts here and your mental history as you discussed in your post (bi-polar, anxiety, depression) I think that you need to invest some time in researching mental health resources in your area.

Wow... Didnt think you would want my whole pregnancy history but here ya go.
    21w had a hospital trip for contractions. No dialation and was sent home bc they were just frequent BH.
    23w hospital trip for contractions. Was given breathene shot, stopped contractions. Was prescribed progesterone suppositories bc I was a fingertip dialated.
    25w hospital trip for contractions. 2 breathene shots, magnesium drip stopped contractions. Stayed overnight.
    26w hospital trip for contractions. 1 breathene shot and magnesium drip stopped contractions. Stayed overnight again. Was put on bedrest and upped dosage of progesterone bc I was also 50% effaced at this point and still a fingertip dialated.
    28w check up, dr dropped me as a patient.
    31w hospital trip for contractions. They were only BH but I was having 10-12 per hour.

Just bc im bipolar doesnt mean im randomly making things up to seek advice for... I was under the impression this was a place to simply talk to other women who might have personal experience and advice for what you may be going through...

And yes, most of these visits were at the hospital that I hate. Bc of how far along I was, my dr told me to go there bc they are the only hospital in my area that is equipped to care for a preterm baby bc of their NICU. I was sent there every time. I also was seen there throughout my pregnancy with my daughter where my preterm labor was much worse and more frequent but it was different then bc that was the hospital where my dr practiced at the time. He switched hospitals the first of the year when I was pregnant with her and she was born Jan. 5 at 39w.
  • @samantha1508‌ : are you managing your mental health? In my experience, OBGYN's don't just randomly drop a patient without a very legitimate reason. If they believe you to be "too high risk" then they'd refer you out.

Do you have insurance or other resources to get proper care? Going to the hospital for every BH contraction episode is gonna wrack up a hell of a bill! Call your OB & ask for a referral. Either that, or talk to your insurance provider.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• @samantha1508‌ : are you managing your mental health? In my experience, OBGYN's don't just randomly drop a patient without a very legitimate reason. If they believe you to be "too high risk" then they'd refer you out.

Do you have insurance or other resources to get proper care? Going to the hospital for every BH contraction episode is gonna wrack up a hell of a bill! Call your OB & ask for a referral. Either that, or talk to your insurance provider.

The only reason my dr gave me was that i was "too high risk". I finally have a new dr but finding one was hell bc of the way the previous dr did me. I've found out through talking to many different offices that what they did was illegal, but even knowing that, it was still done and there was nothing I could do about it except speak with a lawyer. All that aside, only 2 of my visits were BH contractions and I was told to go in bc of the frequency of them. Hopefully the next time I have to go in will be for his birth! Im not seeing anyone for mental health right now bc up until a few weeks ago, I was better than ever. I do plan on resuming my mental health treatment after I give birth tho bc I went through bad PPD with my daughter so I want to catch it early if it comes this time around.

The only reason my dr gave me was that i was "too high risk". I finally have a new dr but finding one was hell bc of the way the previous dr did me. I've found out through talking to many different offices that what they did was illegal, but even knowing that, it was still done and there was nothing I could do about it except speak with a lawyer. All that aside, only 2 of my visits were BH contractions and I was told to go in bc of the frequency of them. Hopefully the next time I have to go in will be for his birth! Im not seeing anyone for mental health right now bc up until a few weeks ago, I was better than ever. I do plan on resuming my mental health treatment after I give birth tho bc I went through bad PPD with my daughter so I want to catch it early if it comes this time around.
    Again, we are only getting your side of the story. I'm hesitant to start talking about an OB doing anything illegal. You aren't necessarily entitled to care with any OB you choose. I really feel like we aren't getting the whole story about why the OB dropped you as a patient.

In any event, I'm glad you are getting care.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Again, we are only getting your side of the story. I'm hesitant to start talking about an OB doing anything illegal. You aren't necessarily entitled to care with any OB you choose. I really feel like we aren't getting the whole story about why the OB dropped you as a patient.

In any event, I'm glad you are getting care.
    The only reason I say it was illegal is bc thats what I was told by every drs office I had to contact afterward to try to find care. I was supposed to still be under their care for 30 days until I found a new dr and they were still liable for anything that happened until then. All that aside, im pretty sure the reason I was dropped was bc the hospital they use only has the most basic level nursery equipped to deal with term babies. I've been their patient for over 7 years, since I was pregnant with my daughter, but then they were at the hospital which I have to go to now. They didnt switch hospitals until the first of the year when I was pregnant with my daughter and she was born jan 5. Regardless of the dr situation, its in the past now. I'm just very relieved that I now have a new dr and I pray that no one has to go thru what I did in this whole ordeal bc it was very scary not knowing who to turn to if a problem arose with my baby. I dont care for the hospital I will be delievering at bc of the fact that its a learning hospital and it almost gives you the feeling of being a show and tell project every time something is done to you, but as long as my baby is delivered safely and is taken care of, thats all that matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"