Multiples

Breastfeeding "preemies" question

Question about nursing & your experiences...

Had my twin girls on 18th - both immediately latched, have great sucking ability & nursed from start being held tandem football hold.

They lost too much weight after 24hrs and they implemented breastfeeding 15 min & then finger/syringe feeding to supplement. (While in hospital it was banked BM, at home formula as I can't pump yet what they need).

About 2 days ago we switched to preemie nipples on dr brown bottles instead of syringe feeding. 1: because on twin was getting lazy at breast & preferring to syringe feed . 2: we have a 4yo too.

Most of time both will latch & BF 15 min great + take full 30cc of formula. However, baby B has started refusing to BF, arches back. Screams, pushes head back etc. but, when offered bottle, immediately takes. So far today we've fed 6 times and 3 times she would nurse and 3 times wouldn't.

Suggestions? Input? When she does BF it's great - no issues.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding "preemies" question

• I'd XP on the BFing board, too.

My first thought is that B is pissed waiting for the letdown. How's their weight gain now? 15 min of BFing isn't a lot - how often are you feeding? Are you pumping after you nurse to "replace" the supplemental feed; otherwise, it'll be really difficult to ever catch up to them.

My twins were born at 34w and they had probs latching in the beginning but I tried putting them on the boob once a day. By the time they were 35w GA, they did much better and we could tandem. I nursed for 20-30 min and then they were given a supplement - at first formula bc my supply wasn't there and then as I pumped (30 min, 8x a day on top of whatever BFing I could do) my supply caught up w them.

I'll be honest, and in no way should you take the advice of the internet, but when they were discharged I was told to bottle feed half their feeds. I didn't. I switched to nursing exclusively on demand - which was 30-45min every 2-3hrs. They gained weight at their weight check and we never looked back. Honestly, their NICU was great but they weren't the most pro-BFing and I had nursed my oldest successfully so I knew what I was doing.

I ended up nursing the twins for 14 mo before they self-weaned.

• Thank you for your input! Yes I'm pumping as well... I nursed my older dd and followed my own instinct similar to yours w/ your twins.

I would love to drop the formula amount and increase nursing... Their weight loss was what worried me; I did not want to end back up in hospital. I have lactation appt Monday to see what they're weighing and input/output of breastfeeding. I plan to go from there I suppose.

I'm trying to nurse 1st diaper after now too; maybe B just gets impatient waiting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Bfing preemies is hard. I'm still pumping for my twins and giving them bottles.

Maybe baby B is just so hungry, how's your flow? Is it slow? If yes, then yah I would say she's just impatient. Have you tried a nipple shield, that may help?

Def seek out a LC and see what they think.

Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Maybe it's just a phase? Do you feel like they're emptying your boobs and getting a good feed? How do you think your supply is? Another thought: could it be reflux? Maybe it's her positioning before the milk flows to keep the acid down? One of my twins had it and he was effing miserable before meds. Check out www.refluxrebels.com. Fwiw, he outgrew it by 6mo actual.

See how they've gained on Mon and what the LC says. But also trust your mommy instinct, esp if you've done this before.

Good luck! Establishing a successful BFing relationship is a lot of hard work, esp w twins. You can do this.

• Thanks for the encouragement & tips!!! I believe my supply is doing well ! Not sure what I should expect to pump after feeding them, but I get a total of 20-30cc's? I was never productive in terms of producing much pumping w/ my first, so have no clue!
  • I had the twins last month and I also have a 4 year old.

Breastfeeding both was not working, so what we did in the hospital was that I fed one via breast and the other got a bottle and I would alternate feedings. As they started eating more, I couldn't keep up and so like you I was breastfeeding and then supplementing with a bottle. We are on a 3 hour schedule and it was just taking too long especially when you are 1 person doing all the feedings. I quit breastfeeding and we are strictly bottles (I pump).

You have to do the best you can whether it is breastfeeding, bottle, or a combination. Good luck!

• APRILMW said:

Thanks for the encouragement & tips!!! I believe my supply is doing well ! Not sure what I should expect to pump after feeding them, but I get a total of 20-30cc's? I was never productive in terms of producing much pumping w/ my first, so have no clue!

I'm mobile so I can't see tickers, but that's a good amount in the beginning. And also prob means they are nursing well and transferring milk. Hoping the appt on mon goes well and you can ditch the pumping after feeding - it's so time consuming.

• @carrotcake06‌ - haven't done anything with tickers - no clue what's even on mine! (Prob horribly outdated!)

Anyways- the girls are 10 days old (had them at 36wks)

Today went a bit better, until end of day at least. :smile:
  • How was your appt? I met with an LC today too! My twins were born 11/18 at 35/6!
    Two sets of fraternal twins, 23 mos. apart First set born 12/27/12 at 35w0d via IVF Second set born 11/18/14 at 35w6d via FET
  • Appt went GREAT! Both girls are above birthweight at 11 days new :wink: one was able to get 45cc's and other 35cc's. (Was a very sleep nursing session so they likely get more!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"