Multiples

MoMs who took home preterm babes... Car seat question

I'm still thinking boys will be born around 34-35w due to IUGR w/ baby B. Im assuming I'll get to take them home by 36w gestation & they will be maybe 4.5 & 5.5/6 lbs. I have the chicco key fit 30 car seats. Do I need to buy the extra padded inserts? Or will the hospital let me put a little blanket rolled up around their head to leave? Or is the one built in to the seat ok?

Any advice on anything else I should order extra for tiny babes that I'm not thinking of? "Need" items only...

TIA!!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
             Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
             6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
             7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
             7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: MoMs who took home preterm babes... Car seat question

• I haven't delivered yet but at the hospital where I'm giving birth, they do 'car seat' tests for 1 hr on each baby before they are released. My Ob recommended I buy car seats that started at 4lbs just in case. The standard ones usually start at 5 lbs but I was able to find ones that were for 4lbs and up.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • We had Chiccos, one of my boys was 4.5lbs when we came home from the hospital and he was fine. I wasn't expecting him to be so small - his brother was 3 pounds bigger. I ended up sending my mom to Carters for some preemie clothes b/c the nb stuff was swimming on him. Other than that I didn't feel like I needed anything else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the chiccos and the pad that comes in it is plenty. Our hospital made us take car seat safety also (weird since we already have DD) but we learned that anything extra in the car seat isn't safe. Don't think I'm being preachy or judgy, cuz I do my fair share of no no's (my DD still has a crib bumper and was/is a belly sleeper).

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

• As PP mentioned our hospital also does the car seat test. We also have the key fit 30 & we were told they are the best for premies. My LOs left the hospital at 4lbs 6oz & 4lbs 8 oz. We did place a folded up burp cloth around their heads for extra support as recommended by the hospital. They also placed a rolled diaper at the bottom clip/ groin area to prevent sliding. We were also told no more than 90 minutes at a time in the car seat. If longer time is needed remove them for a half hour to stretch then they can be placed back in the seat.
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • My babies were just over 5lbs and just under 5lbs when they came home. I have Gracos but I made sure the weight limit started at 4lbs. My babies came home at 36wks gestational age, they were 4wks old.

It's def a challenge fitting small babies into the car seats. It's so much easier now that they are 8-9lbs. Like PP mentioned you should never buy anything extra to put in your car seat. The only things it is crash tested with are the things it came with.

I did buy some preemie clothes but by the time they came home they were pretty much out grown. The hospital did have clothes to put on them that were from donations and I'm going to donate their preemie clothes as well.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • My Chicco seats came w the infant insert and we used that when they did their car seat test. The came home at 35w6d weighing a few ounces over their birth weight of 5lbs and 5lbs 8oz

• I wouldn't worry about buying the extra infant insert.  If the hospital feels like it is necessary they will have you roll up a blanket. My girls came home in the Chicco Keyfits after being in the hospital for 5 & 6 weeks and they were roughly 5 lbs at that time.  Like others mentioned, the hospital did a car seat test before we left.
  • We had the KeyFit 30s, too. Mine were about 5 1/2 pounds when they came home (just 5 weeks apart). We did not use any inserts.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used the Chicco Keyfit as well. One of mine came home at 4lbs even and the padding that came with the seat was more than enough. Our hospital did the one hour carseat test and she passed just fine!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you all!!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'll add that ours were Graco rated for 4+ lbs and ours did fine, my littlest one was about 4 1/2 lbs when she came home.  I wanted to let you know that before the NICU would release us, they had to do a car seat test (90 minutes monitored in the seat) and nothing else was allowed in the seat with them for the test.  
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"