November 2013 Moms
Options

The Great Toddler Eating/Drinking thread

Since the daily started to move towards so many discussions about what the kids are eating or drinking (or aren't) I thought it might be helpful to have a consolidated thread for that. I don't mind it in the randoms but maybe if there is a central place it will be easier for the moms that have specific concerns to find answers.

Perhaps we can also link recipes, post sample menus, work on alternatives to certain foods for the kids with MSPI?

I'll start it with a list (not comprehensive) of calcium sources that are non-dairy since A has to steer clear of WCM and strictly limit his other dairy products. Of course we want to make sure they are getting the requisite amount Vitamin D also.

- Blackstrap molasses
- Sesame seeds, sesame butter
- Tofu (firm)
- Canned salmon, sardines or mackerel (good luck with that)
- bok choy
- spinach
- kale
- mustard, turnip, or dandelion greens
- soy
- alfalfa
- mung
- brown rice
- quinoa
- oats
- calcium fortified corn tortillas
- seaweed
- romaine lettuce
- lentils, split peas, black beans, navy beans, Lima beans, garbanzo beans
- sunflower seeds
- hazelnuts
- walnuts
- almonds

Some herbs that have calcium also but are probably not used in great enough quantity (dried) to be of consequence:

- thyme
- dill
- celery seed
- marjoram
- Rosemary
- basil
- sage
- oregano
- parsley

Re: The Great Toddler Eating/Drinking thread

• Options
    sunshin41 said:

ooo, i would like suggested prep for tofu. I feel like our stirfry sauce might be too salty. Maybe I should try a peanut sauce since he seems ok with peanut butter

I've tried pan-frying it (extra firm) after cutting in cubes with some garlic, basil and oregano. A seems to like it okay but it's not a favorite.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cagoldicagoldi member
    edited December 2014
    A mostly plays with spoons ATM. He might take a bite or two like Maggie, but it's such an inefficient process he wants me to shovel it in for him because, faster.

He did eat off of a real plate the other night, which surprised the heck out of me! Maybe that's progress. I don't want to use plastic flatware because I know for a fact he will bite down on that fork and break off little pieces of plastic. We're still using toddler utensils for the time being.
  • Options
    L likes to play with spoon/bowls, but hasn't quite figured out how to feed herself.  I am not mess averse, so I let her go nuts.  She usually uses the spoon to catapult some food as far as she can, then may bring it to her mouth a couple times, then uses it to dump all the food out of the bowl and onto her tray, where she can then eat it by hand.  But hey - twice last night she put the spoon in the bowl, and then brought it to her mouth - so I look at that little bit of progress :).  We have a large tarp under her eating area.

She's in this phase where if I try to give her food which is not exactly what we are eating, she throws a FIT.  The up side to that is that DH and I are trying to eat a lot healthier now! :)

I was really proud of what I made for dinner last night (at least I think it's healthy).  I had ingredients so I made a recipe up off the top of my head, and it turned out pretty good!

I diced some onion, shredded some carrot, and was going to do thin celery slices, but we were out.  Sautee in olive oil, then added some low-sodium chicken stock, and red lentils, just a very little salt, garlic, and curry powder (enough for flavor, but not enough to affect her).  Bring to boil, then simmer until the lentils are cooked (red lentils cook faster than others).  

• Options
    N mostly puts the utensil in his right hand and grabs food with his left and shoves it in his mouth, but we're getting there.  He's starting to use them more.  We've had the best luck with the Skip-Hop fork and spoon- I think he likes the chunky handle.  He does OK with the fork, but the spoon is super messy.  If he's going to be getting a bath after mealtime I give him the spoon and some yogurt, oatmeal, etc. to mostly play around with and get a little in his mouth.  I figure he'll get better with practice.  

I'm not much help with food ideas.  I feel like this time of year we're always eating the same things because DH and I work a lot so it's quick and easy food at home for the most part.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    fitmama418fitmama418 member
    edited December 2014
    Wrong thread, disregard.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Options
    At @elvk583‌ we do smoothies sometimes. No recipe really. I just do spinach or kale, chia seeds, Silk, carrots, pear, banana, and blueberry. I add more water than I normally would so it's thin enough to drink with the sippy. I would like to add orange or pineapple but he can't eat either of those.
  • Options
    My son is on team eat everything. Seriously. He finds day old Cheerios on the floor and eats them. Can't get food in his mouth fast enough. When we ask if he wants some food or a snack he runs to the kitchen and stands by his chair or tries to climb up in it. Doesn't know how to use silverware though. We had some baby/toddler ones but the spoon got eaten by the garbage disposal and the fork is no where to be found. At one point we could stab something with the fork and hand it to him and he would put the fork in his mouth but mostly just uses his fingers. He loves cheese. Oh and he throws a fit when we open the fridge and he can't get in there and pull stuff out.
  • Options
    We're with you @Eboote my girl is an eating machine and its her favorite activity! She will shove food into her mouth, it looks like she's gonna eat her own hand! 

B usually eats with her hands but she can hold a spoon and dip it into a bowl like others have said, she only gets small amounts of applesauce or yogurt that way but she likes to do it. Haven't tried a fork yet, probably won't, we still need to battle the sippy cup hurdle first.

@TJHine my kid is also fascinated with our dogs kibble! and trying to play in his water bowl!
  • Options
    @CaiShov since V is not a great eater and is still working on a bad rash and has fluid on his ears I might take it more slowly with the sippy transition. That's just me, but better to have him on the bottle than not getting any nutrition at all.
  • Options
    But in all seriousness ladies, when does it become concerning that T really barely eats any solids still?

He had been getting a little better ie. a mini waffle w/ pb and half a yogurt for breakfast, no lunch, and guacamole and chicken for dinner. Now he doesn't even do that.
  • Options
    @TJHine‌ Is he still nursing or taking formula at all? When you offer food is it because he's hungry or are you trying to stick to a schedule?

Is he eating purées and just refusing table food/finger food?

My kid eats pretty well. He was definitely helped by daycare and seeing all the other kids eat. If he refuses what I serve at home he gets a pouch so I can feel like he's getting something.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Kfran84‌ I still nurse. About every 4 hrs during the day. I have a very flexible schedule for him and try to make sure I feed him solids before I nurse. He literally won't eat anything - purees or otherwise. Like a bite or two here and there, but otherwise nothing. So frustrating!
  • Options
    CaiShov said:
    Yeah @cagoldi‌ I was thinking that too but the pedi wants us to rush it because we're having so much trouble with his ears. That's what sent me into overdrive :(
    It got better for us around day 3 of no bottles. We found a cup he was able to easily get stuff out of (the tommee tippee explora easy flow), and just kept it around him as much as possible. I'm sorry it's a rough transition, I hope it gets easier soon.

• Options
    TJHine said:
    But in all seriousness ladies, when does it become concerning that T really barely eats any solids still? He had been getting a little better ie. a mini waffle w/ pb and half a yogurt for breakfast, no lunch, and guacamole and chicken for dinner. Now he doesn't even do that.
    We still supplement with purees when G isn't eating much solid food. His pedi told us it can take kids their age 10-12 exposures to new foods to be consistent in eating them. I feel like the stage G is in with eating can be really trying on my patience, one day he will eat something and the next he completely rejects it.

• Options
    @TJHine I agree with @Karadee1‌.
    @karissa2009 and @Kim22 had their boys evaluated and were really thrilled with the results, maybe you could ask your pedi if it's time to consider that.

Like @kfran84, A was helped greatly by DC. He was eating a little bit of solids at dinner, but once they started doing breakfast, then lunch he really took off. Being around all the older kids and watching their actions spurred him on, I think.
  • Options
    A is not much of a meat eater, but last night I made chicken that he devoured. I'd say he had a good 4 oz, about half of a decent sized breast.

Season 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with garlic salt and cracked pepper.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 real maple syrup, 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar.

Place in casserole dish and cover. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 50 minutes.

Easy, so easy, and quite good.
  • Options
    I thought my daughter was the only one who refuses to eat. I get pretty frustrated with it because the only thing she wants is her bottle. :/ & sometimes if I'm lucky she will drink from her sippy cup. Her utensil use is not really working. She throws it on the floor. When I feed her she just spits everything out and if I give her food on her tray she picks it up and throws it on her floor. I feel like she's starving herself to death. Any suggestions?!
  • Options

Doug hasn't been eating great for the last two days which has me worried. Also how do we discourage throwing food on the floor?

Does he do it the whole meal or just at the end? Usually when Atticus does that he's done eating. When he starts sweeping or throwing I tell him that throwing his food makes me think he is done eating, then ask if he is all done. If he is not quite finished then he will quickly have another bite and/or shake his head no. If he keeps playing or throwing I tell him all done and sign it, then clean his tray.

I don't think you can discourage it entirely really, but you can try to get him to understand that when he does it the meal is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"