July 2015 Moms
Options

Serial Podcast- any listeners?

I have gotten myself hooked on the Serial podcast this week! I am just now listening to it and only have 2 episodes left. Anyone else gotten into it? 
Me: 27 DH: 33
Married 5/2012
BFP 11/17/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Serial Podcast- any listeners?

• Options
    Loved it! Totally obsessed and sad it's over.
  • Options
    What is this serial podcast I keep hearing about?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Oh it is so good. I'm incredibly depressed that it's over (this season, at least)
    It's a podcast by lots of the same producers as This American Life that follows the case of Adnan Sayed, convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend in high school. Definitely worth checking out!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

What is this serial podcast I keep hearing about?

GO DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN TO ALL TWELVE EPISODES RIGHT MEOW!

Lol yes ma'am!! I promise I will tomorrow.
  • Options
    nikki707 said:
    I am DYING!!! lol I had not seen that. 

I have a feeling that the season will not end with closure and we'll still be at square one, with doubts about Adnan, doubts about Jay, and still scratching our heads. Or maybe they find out that the body they found wasn't Hae, and she is actually alive, hiding somewhere (a la Gone Girl). 

Sidenote: I am so peeved by the chic in the beginning who can not pronounce "MailChimp." 
    Married 5/2012
    BFP 11/17/2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a huge fan and can't wait until next season!
    Other podcasts I enjoy:

Criminal
    Freakanomics
    Death, Sex and Money
    This American Life
    Snap Judgment

• Options
    Yesssss also The Moth and Risk! for storytelling podcasts and Car Talk (retired) and How Did This Get Made for comedy.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    PeaEss I think the mailchimp girl is little. She sounds like a kid. I picture her with no front teeth.
    She's also the main suspect in the murder in many of the Reddit theories I've come across.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    nikkisauronikkisauro member
    edited December 2014
    SepiaMoon said:
    I am DYING!!! lol I had not seen that. 

I have a feeling that the season will not end with closure and we'll still be at square one, with doubts about Adnan, doubts about Jay, and still scratching our heads. Or maybe they find out that the body they found wasn't Hae, and she is actually alive, hiding somewhere (a la Gone Girl). 

Sidenote: I am so peeved by the chic in the beginning who can not pronounce "MailChimp." 

-----qbf-----
    Haha yes!! You'd think after the 12th time she would get the pronounciation right!!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    So what's the general consensus here? I think not enough evidence to put him away for life, but he was likely involved somehow. I've always though jay was the one who actually did the killing though. Or a hired 3rd party. But no doubt to me that they were both involved!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    OMG! I love the podcast! I am soo sad that its over and that nothing is resolved.
  • Options

I think there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.  He may be guilty, but this is another case where a person was convicted based on the testimony of another person alone, and that should never, never, never happen.  Unfortunately, juries believe people more than they believe evidence.  I'm not convinced that Adnan's attorney screwed up as badly as they implied, but that doesn't seem particularly important if the retrial based on the library witness's affidavit doesn't happen (sorry, I forget her name).  I'm extremely excited about the possibility of the dna evidence being tested - if that shit's viable we could get some real answers.

Because that's what matters.  Me getting answers.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I think there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.  He may be guilty, but this is another case where a person was convicted based on the testimony of another person alone, and that should never, never, never happen.  Unfortunately, juries believe people more than they believe evidence.  I'm not convinced that Adnan's attorney screwed up as badly as they implied, but that doesn't seem particularly important if the retrial based on the library witness's affidavit doesn't happen (sorry, I forget her name).  I'm extremely excited about the possibility of the dna evidence being tested - if that shit's viable we could get some real answers.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

Yea at first I thought Asia's affidavit about Adnan's alibi was such a huge indicator of his innocence. Now I'm not so sure because the whole timing of the crime seems way off. The crime was probably done later and not at the best buy so it's possible Adnan was at the library after school but still was involved.
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

There was not enough evidence to convict him "beyond a reasonable doubt". There are so many holes and inconsistencies in the story. I think Jay was more involved than he says, and I don't believe that Adnan is 100% innocent. I don't believe his "I can't remember" and continual vague-ness about the whole situation. 

I still really wonder about the Mr. S person. How he just "stumbled upon" the body, especially when the trained detectives went out there and could not see it. Maybe he was in the woods when they buried her so he saw it go down? Just speculation. 

I also think the lawyer botched the case. They said that the first trial was going really well in Adnan's favor and the jury polled afterwards said they would not convict him. I also think he should have testified. It just does not make sense that basically the whole thing was boiled down to Jay's testimony, shoddy phone records, and a bunch of teenagers peice-meal accounts. 

BTW I also love Snap Judgement, Freakonomics and Away with Words (I'm love languages, linguistics, etc). 
    Married 5/2012
    BFP 11/17/2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Does anyone else think Adnan seems way too calm? When I first started listening, I thought he was seriously innocent and was shocked they convicted him with what appeared to be no evidence. Like PP said, it was all based off of one person's testimony and he was portrayed "shady" at best. I just think that if I were innocent, I wouldn't be like "yeah, I guess I'll just accept I'm in here for a reason... not necessarily for the crime I was convicted of, but for something." I can't remember what episode he said that, but I just thought it was weird.

Yes! This drives me crazy too! He has really weird philosophies about it. I think in episode 11, Sarah presses him on why he is like that and he just says something like "if they think that way (that I did it) then it doesn't matter what I say." Umm, wtf? At least try to defend or explain yourself, not be some passive player.
    Married 5/2012
    BFP 11/17/2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Eh, I've worked with a lot of criminals.  I'm totally over the "he doesn't seem *insert emotion here* argument - like whenever somebody's in court SOME reporter is always like "HE DOES NOT APPEAR TO FEEL ANY REMORSE!".  People are really bad at judging other people's states of mind, emotions, or thoughts.  None of us have any clue how we'd feel or act if we had been locked up in prison for a crime we didn't commit (I hope), so I think it's a bit silly to form an opinion about Adnan.

I keep reminding myself that Adnan is religious, that his religion teaches forgiveness and passivity and calm, and he's had a lot of time in there to come to terms with his situation.  I just don't think we're in a position to judge the "right" way to act.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Good point re: religion - I guess I got a little overzealous about the prosecution characterizing him as a middle eastern terrorist and swung a bit too far in the opposite direction ;)  DH and I moved out of Baltimore last summer, and I totally went shopping at that Best Buy shopping center all the time.  It's kind of cool!

Also ps I love Cumberland it's one of the most beautiful places on the east coast

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    nikkisauronikkisauro member
    edited December 2014

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

Regardless of whether or not he actually did it, they certainly did not have enough evidence to convict him. I really believe that if the first trial wasn't a mistrial things would have ended differently.

***SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T FINISHED YET***

These are just my basic thoughts because I can't go down the rabbit hole of my conspiracy theories today since we have to leave and pick up my cousin from the airport soon! It's a bit TL;DR.

- I don't think Adnan did it. I have nothing to base this off of other than my gut reaction to hearing him talk about his memories and his experiences. I know that there is a chance that he did do it, but honestly there was NOTHING suspicious to me about what the state tries to use against him.

- Jay in my mind is 100% involved, and quite possibly is the murderer. He was the only one who had legitimate knowledge of the murder, including where Hae's car was and he was the one (with the help of Jen) who disposed of the clothing and shovels with evidence of her being buried. HOW IN THE FUCK DID THIS GUY NOT GO TO JAIL? 

- I read a conspiracy theory about Jay being a criminal informant on Reddit. This would explain why even though Jay claims to have been "picked up" by the police tons of times, there was only one arrest on his record. This would also explain why he got no jail time and the prosecutor helped him get his lawyer for free. (WHICH ALSO, WTF HOW IS THAT LEGAL).

- I don't think there was enough inquiry by the police OR the podcast into this Don guy. Basically the police took his alibi at face value, even though it is revealed that he worked in a different store that day that HIS MOM was the manager of (super convenient). Also when Don does agree to speak about the case, he mentions that the first thing he thought after hearing Hae was missing was to make sure that he knew where he was that day. I'm sorry, but if your girlfriend is missing how are you only concerned about your whereabouts? Why is this not suspicious to anyone? And the fact that he never tried to contact Hae after she disappeared? Fucking weird.

- I'm interested to see where the DNA evidence leads to. I'm totally appalled that there was evidence on her (hair, etc) that was never tested, PLUS apparently there was a bloody t-shirt in her car that was never tested! Why was her car never tested to see if they could place Jay in it? He never admits to being in the car and if they could place him inside it, then that changes things for the case.

Sorry, that was long. I'm so totally mystified by this case.

----qbf----

This is such a good summary of my thoughts also. Agreed with everything!! Only I do have slight suspicions that adnan could've been involved. Otherwise he is the unluckiest person on the planet. Definitely reasonable doubt though. How is jay not in prison?!!!

Anyone else think Jen may have more involvement?
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    I love serial! On pins and needles waiting for he DNA results to come out...it's so fascinating and such a crazy tangled story/case :)
  • Options
    Agree with so many of these thoughts! @nikki707‌ I do think Jen was more involved. Her and Jays stories contradict each others at multiple times. I think they both have something to hide! Really hoping there will be an update soon on the DNA results!
  • Options
    This podcast still haunts me. In the begining i thought no way, this kid is innocent! But then towards the end, I just keep thinking Adnan is involved somehow. He cant be that unlucky like one of the producers said. And why didnt he go back and remember what he did that day like Don had? It is rediculous that they gave Jay those deals to stay out of prison, when there is no way they should have convicted Adnan with the little evidence they had on him.
  • Options

I don't necessarily think Adnan is innocent, but I also don't think he should have been convicted with the "evidence" they had at the trial.

Did anyone else get SUPER annoyed with the recordings of the lawyer?  Her voice and speaking mannerisms were SO annoying.  I know they mentioned that might be on purpose.  I would flip if I had to hear that for three days straight.
    Drove me NUTS! I could barely stand to listen to her during the brief clips. Poor jury!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • Options
    Hahaha I love mail chimp. They have an amazing company with a lot of great, free products. Their reps are always super nice when I see them at conferences and they hand out cute hats and super soft tshirts.

I finished Serial in three days and that was me "rationing it out." I don't know if Adnan did it, but I don't think there was enough evidence to convict him and send him to jail for the rest of his life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"