3rd Trimester

Group B Strep

This is my third pregnacy and I tested positive for group B strep. .. my doctor said it wasn't anything to be concerned or!! But as iI've been reading up on the topic on the internet it seems like its a very dangerous thing. Has anyone gone threw this??????

Re: Group B Strep

• I did not test positive but like the PP I was told if it was to be positive I would get antibiotics thru IV, nothing to crazy.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had it with my first child, got antibiotics while in labor, meaning I had to be hooked up to an IV for the duration of labor. Baby and I are totally healthy.
  • I tested positive for this during my pregnancy. While in labor, the L&D nurses gave me antibiotics via IV, but I was in labor for less than 4 hours so it wasn't enough to be effective. Even with that said, it wasn't passed to my baby during deliver, we're both completely healthy.
  • Ajlya said:

This is my third pregnacy and I tested positive for group B strep. .. my doctor said it wasn't anything to be concerned or!! But as iI've been reading up on the topic on the internet it seems like its a very dangerous thing. Has anyone gone threw this??????

Listen to your dr not google. I've tested negative for both pregnancies but my OB said it's not a big deal if positive. Just means antibiotics during labor.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • It's not a big deal at all. About 30% of women will test positive for GBS at 36 weeks. It doesn't mean you did something wrong or your baby will be sick, just that your baby will possibly be exposed to the bacteria. Of all babies that are exposed to the bacteria, the vast majority will not get infected. It's one of those things where the chance of the infection is super super low, but it's a real concern for doctors because in the case of an infection the mortality rate is high. It's mostly an issue if your water breaks way before your baby comes or you have a preemie, but it can also happen in other cases.

They will probably want to give you antibiotics during labor, and possibly have you come in when you're in early labor (if that's not already your plan) so that they can give plenty of antibiotics before the baby is born. Midwives or more natural doctors will use an external cleanse during labor and probably tell you to be on probiotics for weeks leading up to labor. There are many ways to try to manage it. A lot of women who test positive at 36 weeks are negative when they go into labor, and vice versa. Just listen to your doctor and step away from Google. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"