Multiples

Having triplets + first time being pregnant

I am 7 weeks along with my pregnancy. I found on on Friday from my first ultrasound that I am having triplets. I was scheduled to be due August 9th but from what I've heard, triplets usually come early. This is also my first pregnancy. I don't know what to expect and I'm scared. I do though have some questions though…

How often should I be going to the doc for ultrasounds with triplets?

How soon did you start showing with triplets? I ask because I'm starting to notice a slight rise in my belly from my waistline to the top of my belly button past my piercing.

On my ultrasound, it looks like I have two sharing the same placenta. When can they test to see if I have identical twins?

With triplets, what's the likelyhood I'd have to go on bed rest? How far along would that be?

Any other advice would be great. Thanks.

Re: Having triplets + first time being pregnant

• Having triplets doesn't change your due date. Pregnancy is 40+ weeks regardless of the number of people you grow. 
    You'll want to find a DR who is competent with high risk pregnancies- they will take care of you. You likely won't go to the OB/MFM/Peri terribly often until you get through your first trimester. 
    You're not showing yet, the babies are about the size of a grain of rice but you likely ARE bloated (I got mad bloat early on and only had two). The bloating will go down in a few weeks. I took out my belly piercing around 15 weeks. I can't recall why. I was just barely showing, but I know there was some reason I had to take it out. 

They don't "test" identicalness but they will look for dividing membranes once you get a bit further on. I think we didn't see my girls membrane (to signify that they shared a placenta but were not in the same amniotic sac) until 12-14weeks. They'll keep an eye on the placenta(s) at every appointment. 

There's no guarantee you'll be put on bed rest at any time and there's no way for anyone to say for certain when or if that time might be. You'll learn to lean on your DRs :) 
    Congrats and good luck!
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • There are several triplet groups on facebook great place to go. My trio was my third pg but second that lasted I did not show till I was close to 20 weeks. I saw the dr every 3-4 weeks till 17 weeks I think then went to every 2 weeks for u/s then at 22 started having issues and started going weekly and had u/s every visit. I did end up on bed rest but I had bedrest with my singleton more then my triplets. Just depends on body and dr. Good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My good friend had triplet boys and taught spinning classes until 28 weeks:) You can definitely have a healthy long pregnancy... Just cause there is three, no need to get stressed yet! I can see how it would be overwhelming (for sure!) but what a blessing!

Married to Lee since 9/2/2000

Momma to Hais November 2002 and Carter April 2010 (with use of fertility treatments)

Cancer Survivor

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats! My boys were born at 33w2d. All are identical. We had DNA testing, but you could tell by looking at the ultrasound that all three were sharing one placenta. You can do the DNA test after they're born.

The type you are having (di/tri) are the most common type of triplets.

I didn't start showing until 20-21 weeks, but I'm tall, have a long torso, and was somewhat overweight.

I only went on bedrest at the very end because I was developing pre-eclampsia. Never had any issues with preterm labor or anything.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Congratulations!!  You are going to love this awesome experience.  I am also pregnant with triplets in my first pregnancy as well. I'm about 24 weeks currently, but I can tell you, it's a ride all on it's own.

Triplets do usually come early, but don't be worried about that.  Your OB/GYN is going to work their hardest to make sure that those little ones stay in there for as long as they can.  One of my family friends had triplets through IVF that stayed in until 38wks4d.  I would still mark August 9th on your calender unless plans change (I marked April 11th) because that is definitely your goal.

I go to the doctor every week.  She's just making sure that everything is okay.  I'm a small women, about 5'4", and my husband is 6'7".  I only weighed about 115lbs before the pregnancy, so she's concerned the babies could put strain on my body.  You may only have to go every 2-3 weeks, but that just depends on your pregnancy and your doctor will let you know how often you need go.

I started showing about 11 weeks, but keep in mind I'm small.  When you show will be different for you, but between 11-14 weeks probably. :)

I agree with past posters that the swelling is probably bloating.  I had the same thing, but the difference between my bump and bloating was that my bump was a lot more firm and made my skin feel a little tight, especially on the sides by my hips.

When you get farther along, your OB should be able to have a better idea if they share a placenta or amniotic sac.  Mine was shocked to see that none of mine share either. (They're fraternal).  It is one of the coolest appointments, in my opinion.

The likelihood of bed rest is different for every individual.  Mine is a bit higher because I haven't stopped working as an athletic trainer for a local sports team and my size.  You be prescribed bed rest at any time throughout your pregnancy, but I wouldn't stress about that.  If you do remember that it's for you and your little one's safety.

I know that it seems overwhelming right now, but it is really an amazing blessing.  My DH and I still have moments of slight worry, but we remember all the memories we have made so far.  Look out for those and remember them, they'll get you through the long days.  If you need anything, questions or to vent, PM me.  I'm open to listening and helping where I can.

Congratulations,
    A
  • NOLAbaby3 said:

Congratulations!!  You are going to love this awesome experience.  I am also pregnant with triplets in my first pregnancy as well. I'm about 24 weeks currently, but I can tell you, it's a ride all on it's own.

Triplets do usually come early, but don't be worried about that.  Your OB/GYN is going to work their hardest to make sure that those little ones stay in there for as long as they can.  One of my family friends had triplets through IVF that stayed in until 38wks4d.  I would still mark August 9th on your calender unless plans change (I marked April 11th) because that is definitely your goal.

I go to the doctor every week.  She's just making sure that everything is okay.  I'm a small women, about 5'4", and my husband is 6'7".  I only weighed about 115lbs before the pregnancy, so she's concerned the babies could put strain on my body.  You may only have to go every 2-3 weeks, but that just depends on your pregnancy and your doctor will let you know how often you need go.

I started showing about 11 weeks, but keep in mind I'm small.  When you show will be different for you, but between 11-14 weeks probably. :)

I agree with past posters that the swelling is probably bloating.  I had the same thing, but the difference between my bump and bloating was that my bump was a lot more firm and made my skin feel a little tight, especially on the sides by my hips.

When you get farther along, your OB should be able to have a better idea if they share a placenta or amniotic sac.  Mine was shocked to see that none of mine share either. (They're fraternal).  It is one of the coolest appointments, in my opinion.

The likelihood of bed rest is different for every individual.  Mine is a bit higher because I haven't stopped working as an athletic trainer for a local sports team and my size.  You be prescribed bed rest at any time throughout your pregnancy, but I wouldn't stress about that.  If you do remember that it's for you and your little one's safety.

I know that it seems overwhelming right now, but it is really an amazing blessing.  My DH and I still have moments of slight worry, but we remember all the memories we have made so far.  Look out for those and remember them, they'll get you through the long days.  If you need anything, questions or to vent, PM me.  I'm open to listening and helping where I can.

Congratulations,
    A
    Thank you. I go back for another us the first Friday of the new year. Right before I go back to work. My little ridge has grown some more and I've been gaining weight steadily (I started at 120 and I am now 130. I guess gaining 10 pounds in 7 weeks isn't bad). I started my pregnancy like you…small. I was 5'5" tall and weighed 120 pounds. I am active in the martial arts and everything. I'm not struggling over the thought of possibly going on bed rest. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I did. Hope everything goes well for you.
  • my triplets r 16 months younger than my daughter, so this was my second pregnancy. Because my daughter was boring at 36 weeks 6 days, I knew a little bit of what to expect, but not much.I had my first problem with cervical irritation asked 21 weeks and was just admitted to triage for 7 hours for observation. It was only because there was so many babies moving around. I was then admitted at 26 weeks, which is apparently amazing to get to without problems, and stayed at the hospital on a modified bed rest for 11 days. I didn't so much to be there, but we had so much snow that it was safer to do so..it was February. I went in for my next appointment and still measured 2 centimeters, what I had measured act 26 weeks. At 29 weeks 5 days, I went in for a regular appointment, which I had twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays,and measured 6.5 centimeters. Was not feeling contraction.after another round of steroids for lung development, which I had had at 26 weeks, and magnesium, we decided it safest to do a c-section. The boys were born at 3 pounds 6 ounces, 3 pounds 7 ounces, & 3 pounds 9 ounces. They were in the 95th percentile for size that week!and I am NOT big.. 5 foot 9 & a hundred and ten pounds. The day I went in for that appointment I measured one week past term for a single baby.I had gained 49 pounds.only the largest baby was on a ventilator for 3 days, then moved to a CPAP. The smallest was on a ventilator for less than 24 hours. They were in NICU between six and eight weeks and were released all over six pounds. They are now 9 month and wearing 24 month clothes and all between 21 and 23 pounds and over 30 inches in length, from 16 and 17 inches at birth.take it a day at a time and listen to your body. I always wanted to do more and felt that I could, but my body was not responding in that way. Good luck!

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I am pregnant with quadruplets, but I have been pregnant before with triplets, that I lost at 22.5 weeks due to preterm labor and premature rupture of membranes. But before all that, I was seeing my perinatologist every week for ultrasounds (same as now) and they were going to put me on bed rest after 24 weeks, regardless of how I was doing.  This time with four babies, and because of my history, am going in for a cerclage at 13 weeks and will have to go on bed rest at 20 weeks.  There is a higher risk of fetal death after 34 weeks in triplet or higher pregnancies, so my doctor wouldn't let me go past 34 weeks, however, I knew one mother who got to 36 weeks with triplets and had no problems.  I also had a consult with another peri who didn't really believe in bed rest, unless the mother was having issues with preeclampsia or something else. 

A lot depends on your history and what your doctor feels.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"