Breastfeeding

my baby is dropping percentile, also posted on babies 3-6

hi ladies

We've been to the doctor due to the consistant cough yesterday and my baby was found to be dropping in percentile. I wasnt obsessing about how much weight she was putting on because she produced enough diapers and thrived but my baby is skinny (hands, feet, and head) make her look big but she isnt) the arms and lega are not as skinny as her torso though.

When she was born she was in the 50-75 percentile and at 5 months she is in the 20-50 percentile. I was also told by nursery yesterday to bring in more milk because she wants more than the 15 Oz she takes at DC between 8am-4pm, they were more than sufficient until now. She takes my BM in a bottle at DC, i pump 3 times at work to make up the 3 5 Oz bottles then breast feed on demand. If she nurses a lot at night like she is doing lately though i have to add another pumping session at night to make up for the less milk.

I supplement sometimes and pump instead for my own sanity and we started trying purees everynow and then. A few teaspoons worth but she isnt fully ready yet to actually "eat" she spits most of it. The doctor told me to start feeding her more purees to get her to put on weight.

I've been trying to up my supply but am not sure why i'm not sucessful at it. I'm trying to eat good natural sources of fibers, sugar, and good fat along with proteins and eating all day long and avoiding stress and staneous workout so why is my milk "poor" suddenly and is not sufficient?

She is pace fed since birth and still uses the first nipple and she takes lots of pauses she doesnt gulp down milk at all she paces the feed herself actually and if she is full she stops eating, in fact there is no way to convince her to take anymore milk if she isnt interested.

At about 8-10 weeks she was STTN with 1 MOTN feeding but now she wakes up 3-4 times to nurse and wouldnt take extra bottles during the day. I wonder if the extra bottle at DC would do the trick today and if she would actually drink it.

Any tips are much appreciated. I'm worried about my baby and I feel like my body is failing me and my baby. Not a nice feeling at all
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: my baby is dropping percentile, also posted on babies 3-6

• I think everything sounds good and none of what you say sounds concerning--except that daycare wants you to send more milk. My DD dropped percentiles after she was born. Breastfed babies gain slower than formula fed so it would make sense that BF babies would drop in the beginning.

It is so normal for babies to have erratic overnights and to add or take away MOTN feeds and I doubt that if your LO is drinking 15oz at daycare that she is waking at night due to not enough milk at daycare. I personally think that 15oz is plenty especially if you're saying she doesn't want more. If you are unable to boost your supply then I think it's a sign that your DD doesn't need more milk. I pumped 14-16oz/day over 3 pumps at 5 months and I felt very good about it.

Watch your baby--not the scale. You sound like you're doing everything right and your body is not failing you at all! So long as she's meeting milestones and having enough wet diapers then there is absolutely nothing to worry about :)   I have no advice about what to tell daycare though, sorry!

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • I sent an extra bottle with formula in it for them to mix water in for her to eat if she finishes all 3 bottles and then wants more, but they didn't have to.

I think waking up a lot more started when she was sick and coughing a lot and the cough would keep her up and then she went through the 4 months sleep regression, just yesterday she woke up so many times and every time she'd be smiling and making playful noises when she sees me coming it's like she wants to play, I'd nurse her and she'd fall asleep after a while, but then at 1 time i looked at the time when she got up and it had only been an hour or two and she had emptied my boob the one time before when she got up. I played some white noise and placed a paci in her mouth (she isn't a fan of them but would occasionally take one) she took it out and played with it for a short time while babbling and then fell asleep so am finally gathering to try other methods to put her back to sleep as oppose to nursing
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • at birth she weighed 7.6 lbs

at 2 months 10 days she was 12.12 lbs

at 6 days to 5 months she was 14.3 lbs so in about 2.5 months she gained 2 lbs

Its 8 hours at DC but u add 2 hours total of commute both ways and getting ready in the morning and she doesnt nurse before we leave the house so her last feeding is between 3-5:45 am and we r home again at 5 pm so her current total intake between 5-5 is 15
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Melody330Melody330 member
    edited December 2014
    Eh, that doesn't seem all that concerning to be honest. She has almost doubled her birth weight, which is great.

Also - instead of sending a bottle of formula, I would send smaller bottles. Three 5 oz bottles can be broken into smaller ones and given more frequently. Possibly four 3.5 oz bottles. I would also add a nursing session right before you leave.

Hope you find something that works!

Eta - you also may want to add a nursing session right when you pick her up. Before you even leave her school you could nurse since the drive is an hour long.
    imageimage
    Cooper & Melody.     My Rescues <3

• @Melody330 thats what I thought, she doubled her birth weight so she's doing great. It's the doctor who got me concerned. My baby already takes an ocassional formula bottle here and there and the extra bottle at DC never got used.

I don't know if giving smaller bottles would work. She already takes 5Oz every 3 hours. I'm trying to work it out with nursing in the morning/right at the end of the day but it's a very hard balance. thank you for the support
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"