Cloth Diapering
Options

Am I being rude?

MIL and FIL watch out kids from time to time. She was all for cloth before the boys were born, now she has decided she likes disposables better, because she is more familiar with them. I nicely told her that I am happy to send cloth and if she wants to use disposables, that's fine, but she will have to buy them.

Now I'm feeling like a bitch because they watch our kids for free so we can have a date night or so I can get things done.

Tell me I'm not a horrible person! ;)
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: Am I being rude?

• Options
    I don't think you are horrible, you are providing the diapers that you normally use, if she wants to use different diapers I don't think it is a big deal for her to provide them. My MIL insisted on buying all of DD's diapers because the idea of me using cloth on her was apparently horrifying. I was so glad when I finally got her to stop buying them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister is in the same boat with her in-laws. She hasn't had to flat out say it, but she keeps providing cloth and leaves it up to them to purchase sposies if that is what they feel they need/want to use. I think you're totally fine
  • Options
    I knew you guys would take my side. :x
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    This was the arrangement I had with my mom, too.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This will be my policy with family as well. I'm glad to hear it isn't considered rude.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think you're being horrible, but personally in the same situation I would probably provide disposables out of consideration.

• Options
    I kind of look at it this way: I hate disposables. I think they're stinky and gross, I don't think they work well, and. I don't want them all poopy and stinky hanging out in the trash in my house. Plus, it's what I'm familiar with, just like OP's MIL. 

If I was babysitting a kid, I'd really prefer to use cloth diapers on them, but it's kind of ridiculous for me to say 'Hey buy some pockets for me to use on your kid, even if you have no other use for them than here, because I don't like the way you diaper your kid.' to someone who's made the choice to use disposables. 

I'd either suck it up and use their diapers even though it makes me slightly less than happy to do so, buy some diapers to use on their kid while they were in my home (not likely, honestly), or say 'Can't babysit tonight, sorry.'
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    I would send pockets. ;) And a disposable for ON. She knows how to use them, but likes disposables better. I asked her why, and she said it's because she isn't as familiar with cloth. Oh well, we do it for the "money savings". (If I would quit buying them. Haha)
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    That's why, on the other hand, I don't feel bad about making them buy their own.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited December 2014
    Why does she think there is such a high bar to being familiar with cloth? It's not like you have to take a class or jump through a set of hoops or anything. 

Take dirty diaper off, wipe bottom, apply diaper cream if you want to, put clean diaper on. Put dirty diaper in wetbag.

I think it's rude of her not to use the diapers that you provide.
  • Options
    I'd ask what she means by "familiar".
    If you have some cloth diapers that are have aplix, they're pretty much just like a disposable in terms of putting them on and taking them off.
    On the other hand, anyone that wants to do a diaper change for our son, can use whatever sort of diaper they want lol.
  • Options
    I think she did mention how the snaps were difficult "with her old eyes". I forgot about that. I'm not buying special diapers because it's really not that hard. She probably would use disposables anyway. Although, if I bought aplix pockets and made a big deal about how I bought them special for her, she would probably use them out of obligation. Hmmmmm
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Any good pockets with aplix? I use 4.0s.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    I just got some HD2s to have for sitters.
  • Options
    doeie04 said:
    Any good pockets with aplix? I use 4.0s.

The imagine Aplix seems good on my newborn diapers, and they are pretty cheap.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    How do Nicki's compare to Imagine? Are they the same thing?
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Thirsties pockets have nice Aplix.
  • Options
    My mom has some disposables for when she babysits. I'm cool with it unless it starts causing rashes or something. I did just pick up some fitteds and am thinking about a few AIOs for babysitters though. However, I don't know if that's because I'm trying to be accommodating or because I just want to buy more diapers...proooobably the later ;)
  • Options
    freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited December 2014
    If you have a snap press, you can make some blanks and put them in to the spots that you are not using, so it's clear for her where to snap. You could even do it in a contrasting color so it really stands out, if vision is an issue for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"