LGBT Parenting

Uterine Cavity Screening

I have an appointment tomorrow for my uterine cavity screening. Has anyone else had this? Any tips?

When I went last cycle for blood work and an ultrasound I had no idea it was a vaginal ultrasound.....thought I would ask beforehand this time.

Thanks! Kind of nervous about it....

Re: Uterine Cavity Screening

• I've had a sonohysterogram (SHG) and a hysterosalpingogram (HSG)...I'm wondering if uterine cavity screening is another name for one of those (more likely the first)? I've never heard that term.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did they mention if there will be liquid involved? It could be another transvag ultrasound, or it could involve them putting a liquid into your ute and using an abdominal ultrasound or xray to see if it shows anything. Odds are it will involve something going into your vaginal cavity...sad to say, but I would get used to it if you're going to be cycling with a doc.

If you can provide more info, we might be able to give you a better idea. Some common procedures are a HSG or a saline ultra sound. Those both can look at your uterine cavity and both involve a catheter and liquid. Not always a pleasant experience, but everyone is different.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm thinking is probably an SHG? Is this procedure being done in the radiology department or at the RE's office? I've also had both the HSG and SHG. HSG was an X-ray study, more painful, involve the injection of dye into the cervix, done in the radiology department. SHG was done with transvaginal ultrasound and the injection of saline. Also uncomfortable but (for me) not as painful as HSG.

Both will give the doctors an idea of the shape of your ute, if there is scaring, polyps etc. The HSG will also show if your tubes are open since the dye will release that way and show up on the X-rays. Saline in the SHG will just show the over all shape of the uterine cavity.

If you are working with an RE, get use to the transvaginal ultrasounds. They will be happening often leading up to insemination day to monitor if your follicles are gearing up to ovulate.

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Yes I also had both a Saline Sonogram (called an SIS at my clinic, is that different from an SHG? It was exactly as described above) and an HSG.

The SIS was not the most comfortable thing in the world, but not anything to get too worked up about either.  I think, in total, it took about 10 minutes.

Good luck!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Thanks! They've also referred to it as a Sono so it sounds like it may be the SHG you all mentioned. I know, as of now, I'm not having the test that checks to see if your tubes are blocked.
  • Take a pad/panty liner with you just in case. It's handy for when the saline comes back out. Same thing goes for if you ever have a HSG.

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

****All Welcome!****

• I vote for a pad over panty liner. I looked like I'd peed myself after my SHG!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad I asked. These are the tips I was looking for :)
  • I agree on the gel! Panty liners for ultrasound appointments are standard for me at this point.

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Just had the Sono. It wasn't nearly as bad an I thought it would be. Some mild cramping then a bit of a burning feeling, I think when the saline solution was seeping out, afterwards. Guess my uterus looks fine, he did see some cysts in my ovaries but didn't seem concerned. Guess they'll track it and if it's a problem they can pop it. And my hormone numbers look good (had blood work last cycle), but he said my egg reserve numbers were a bit high which can be an indication of being pre-diabetic (but said I didn't look like someone who had it). So, I'll have to take a glucose test and I have it he will prescribe a medicine that you take until the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. So, we'll see. Sorry for the long update.

But yeah, thanks again for all of your advice! I was pretty nervous so I'm glad it's over and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
  • @cetcar2013‌ - Don't be alarmed if you have pain and/or bloating in a bit. I did after both of my HSGs and also after my saline sono. It doesn't happen for everyone, but just wanted to let you know in case it does for you.

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Thanks for the heads up @StacyLH24‌ So far so good. Just a little tired. Think I was pretty nervous and tense leading up to it. I kind of have a doctor phobia.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"