Blended Families
Options

NBFR: diy Christmas gifts

In the past, we have just never done gifts for anyone besides our kids. Well, I could really care less because I hate the whole gift-focused concept of Christmas anyway. But it really bothers my husband (who is just as sucked in to the comparisons and expectations add the rest of his family).

Anywho, money is the only reason we have never done gifts for anyone else this year. This year I was thinking of doing DIY things for everyone. It might be cheap and small, but it would something. It might mean that the men all get tge same thing and the women all get the same thing.

Anyway, what is everyone else's opinion?

Re: NBFR: diy Christmas gifts

• Options
    There are plenty of things you can do.  My ILS give socks to everyone.  Every year.  But....every year you need new socks so its great!

You can go on the internet and find recipes for hot cocoa, cookies, spa scrub treatments, etc. and put them in mason jars.  I bought a hot cocoa mix at a craft fair and paid $8!

My SIL used to make zucchini bread.  Her H made wine.

People appreciate being thought of, even home made gifts.  
    image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Options
    I think something like this would be a great idea, and I wouldn't care in the least if my gift was the same as everyone else's. Gift giving is about the spirit of giving, not the monetary amount, and if people would rather get upset over it than be appreciative of your hard work, then they need to get some perspective. I'd love to see what you end up making :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lurker:

Christmas Cookies are the best DIY gift ever!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Thanks for the confirmation, guys! My co workers agree.
  • Options
    I'm making wreaths for adults, not necessarily "Christmas" themed, and doing a fun slime thing for the kids this year. I got a lot of ideas from Pinterest for DIY since money doesn't grow on trees lol just something to look at. I like the DIY ideas cause I get to pick the project so it's more fun for me. Have fun! :blush:
  • Options
    What did you finally decide??
  • Options
    I decided DIY is absolutely fine. But after talking it over with H, he is completely fine this year with not getting anyone any gifts. So I may or may not do some this weekend.
  • Options
    The best DIY gifts I have seen are the Hot Cocoa Ornaments.  

You can the the plastic ornaments on sale at any of the craft stores for like $0.50 each and buy the rest bulk.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"