July 2014 Moms

Breast ain't best, y'all

..unless you also happen to be from a particular SES/background...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953614000549

DISCUSS.
imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14

Re: Breast ain't best, y'all

• Loading the player...
  • I need to finish reading it, but I already love the study if for no other reason than this line,

"Total commitment to 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding is a very high
    expectation of mothers, especially in an era when a majority of women
    work outside the home, often in jobs with little flexibility and limited
    maternity leave, and in a country that offers few family policies to
    support newborns or their mother..."

Haven't read it yet (but will be), just have to say that this is my sentiment exactly. I tried making it work with pumping at work and it just takes too much time and is too disruptive unless I wanted to start working longer hours.

At least my office provided a "personal care room", but that's better than average for what I've read on this board.

The best mom i can be involves me working and I look forward to showing my son that I can be good at my job while being an involved loving parent as well. So for me, that meant switching to formula after 4 months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I need to finish reading it, but I already love the study if for no other reason than this line,

"Total commitment to 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding is a very high expectation of mothers, especially in an era when a majority of women work outside the home, often in jobs with little flexibility and limited maternity leave, and in a country that offers few family policies to support newborns or their mother..."

I EBF and I agree with this statement.  I HATE Pumping and it has been the only reason I have considered quitting early with DS2.  (I plan to go to a year.) Pumping is torture and a labor of love, especially for the working mom.  But the fact that the USA sucks on supporting working moms does not decrease the benefits of breastfeeding.  

I did give DS1 formula after 6 months and have no regrets. I am not against formula at all.  But breast is best that's a fact.  There are years of research to support this.  That is not saying that a breast feed baby will automatically be smarter or something.  But it is what it is.
    Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a formula fed, self diagnosed genius.

I bf'ed my first for 15 months and now at 3 she's smarter than I am.

Aren't they all?
  • I never needed a study like this because, my mom bf my sister only and I always told them I was smarter, prettier, healthier, more athletic, just superior to my sis, regardless of my formula fed first year.
    \:D/
  • abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited December 2014
    I've had discussions with others speculating that when formula began to be manufactured and mass marketed, around 1950, that there were campaigns that put down breast feeding. Companies particularly wanted to target wealthier consumers. Breast feeding was portrayed as less civilized and formula was marketed as "cultured". LaLeche was formed around 1956 to support breast feeding. Perhaps as a backlash to all the formula marketing, studies were focused to find data to support breastfeeding. I've found a lot of research to be industry biased by financial motivations, but also the desire to support one side vs another. Maybe "the breast feeding supporters" (groups like LaLeche) mostly financed the research. I don't know?
  • @stellabunny‌ i agree with you on the mental factor not being taken into account. I was very overwhelmed (to the point i wondered if i had PPA or D) with breastfeeding DS 1 and I had a great supply and latcher.

I felt like a loser and guilty for even thinking about quitting. I can't imagine adding anything else to that level of stress, shame, and guilt.

Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nichole8787
    Ugh. That really sucks.

Side note: I heard the term Lactivist for the first time the other day.

Baby boy "F" was born on 7/11/14!!

• @stellabunny

Thank you SOOO much for saying that about PPD! That was my main hurdle in BFing and ultimately why I decided to stop and FF my daughter. Still, I had a lot of negativity following my decision and was basically told to "try harder" by a few people. I also heard a lot of, "Well at least you tried it, so-and-so didn't even try!" I don't get that sentiment either… it isn't for everyone!

FFing allowed me to stop putting so much pressure on myself and start focusing on feeling better and being a better mom. And now almost 5 months in, I'm very happy with my decision.

I think it's great when people BF. I think it's great with people FF. Basically, I think it's great when people feed their children. I will NEVER understand why other people care so much how other people feed their children.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I chose to stop trying at about 10 weeks because I was spending so much time pumping, wishing and hoping milk would come out that I was not enjoying myself. My baby sat alone and cried while I pumped, trying to bounce his bouncer to calm him - or I tried to hold him while pumping and made a mess everywhere.

I am NOT okay with my decision, and if I could do it all over again I would have done things differently. I did not make enough milk for him and it boggles my mind that what is good and natural and should happen couldn't for me. I never even considered it wouldn't work, until it didn't. It haunts me every single day. Although I totally agree with the article and that my LO is fine even being FF, I still feel less than. That I didn't try hard enough, that I am not woman enough, that I didn't do what is best for my child, on and on... Hopefully things go differently with baby 2. Though then I will be probably be cursing myself and wishing DH could help more :)

• I felt so bad about only breastfeeding a month. I guilted myself hard. But my monster is smart and more importantly, happy. She is almost crawling (God help me. She will have it down pat by Christmas) and she is more into food than formula anyway. As long as monkey is fed, she doesn't care if it's boob spoon or bottle. So with lo2 I am not going to be as hard on myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I bf'd for 2 weeks, I had a coworker tell me what I could do to relactate. She was too much I ended up tearing up, I tried. The neonatologists and lactation consultants didn't guilt me, but she sure did. 
  • I love this thread! I bf and pumped for 8 weeks and it was the most miserable time of my life. My daughter just turned 5 months and we are doing so great on formula. All the women I hang out with exclusively breast feed so I'm still a but insecure it didn't work for me. They haven't left their babies and I've been out to shop or get my nails done so I keep telling myself I'm very lucky and my daughter will be more independent. She's good staying with family so my husband and I can have a break.
  • Hilee18 said:

I bf'd for 2 weeks, I had a coworker tell me what I could do to relactate. She was too much I ended up tearing up, I tried. The neonatologists and lactation consultants didn't guilt me, but she sure did. 

So sorry you're going through this! I got grief from normal people I think people are judging me. My doctor was so understanding and helped me a lot with my guilt.
  • No parent should have to defend how they choose to feed their child! As long as you feed them and they thrive who cares. Shame on us for doing this to our selves too.

My husbands best friend and his wife had twins a month before we had our first son and she always turned her nose up to breastfeeding. She actually said to me "that's not what boobs are for" Matter of fact she tried to make me feel bad because I would defend my choice and reasons for BFing. Probably because she chose to not bf and felt that she had to defend her own choice.

I ebf my 3 year old for 6 months till I began having supply issue and made it till 8 months with formula, freezer supply and BFing. This time LO has been EBF and I pump at work. 6 months is my goal and that seems totally doable.

Power to all moms and all that we do bf or formula fed! We all rock!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I gotta say, I find the title of this post a little grating. Who cares if breast is best or formula is finer. Just let people feed their babies. I don't get why breastfeeders feel the need to shame other mothers who FF, and in turn, I don't get why a FF would be so excited to prove that breastfeeding isn't best after all.

One of my favorite quotes: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

• I gotta say, I find the title of this post a little grating. Who cares if breast is best or formula is finer. Just let people feed their babies. I don't get why breastfeeders feel the need to shame other mothers who FF, and in turn, I don't get why a FF would be so excited to prove that breastfeeding isn't best after all.

One of my favorite quotes: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm assuming Ali was being facetious with her post title.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"