January 2015 Moms
Options

Elective Induction Question

This will probably be a touchy subject but I plan to ask my doc this afternoon about elective induction at 39 weeks. 

I'm due 1/14, so that would be 1/7. DH will be leaving for an assignment in early February and will be gone for 1 year. I want them to have as much time as possible together before he leaves. Plus this would all be assuming that my BP stays under control (I was induced with DS at 37.5 weeks due to BP issues). 

Has anyone considered this, whatever your reason? Any advice on how to bring this up?
imageimage

Re: Elective Induction Question

• Options
    Just ask. We have an induction scheduled at 39 weeks for gestational diabetes, but I would have asked for an elective one as well if I didn't have GD. My husband gets time off for the holidays and it will be a blessing to have the time together.
  • Options
    I wouldn't consider it, but I had to be induced with DD and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Pitocin is the devil, I will do everything I can to hopefully avoid it this time. But I can understand why you would want LO to come sooner then later. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tripletoe said:
    I wouldn't consider it, but I had to be induced with DD and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Pitocin is the devil, I will do everything I can to hopefully avoid it this time. But I can understand why you would want LO to come sooner then later. 
    Ditto the bolded for me. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    I was induced at 41wks with my son- she would have let me go longer, but I was done. Plus with my husband living in a different city at that point, I wanted to make sure he would be able to be there. I am hoping to avoid and induction this time around. 

Your reasons make sense- I would want my husband to be able to spend time with LO before leaving as well. It was hard enough for me with seeing him on weekends only- hormones are crazy. I can't imagine going a year. I would just ask your OB. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would just ask.  I was induced with my daughter and found it to be a good experience.  I wouldn't mind doing it again.  Your reasons make sense and at 39 weeks I doubt it will be a problem.
  • Options
    Oh and to answer your "how to bring it up"- just ask. I brought it up to my OB with DS1 and she understood wanting DH to be there but at 40wks, she still didn't advise it- said to wait another week since my cervix was not close. At 41wks, I still had to have cervidil and pitocin, it was a long induction, but don't know how much different it would have been 1-2wks earlier. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, except my husband is already gone and having an induction date would be easier because we could ensure he would be here in time for the birth and that all of his leave time would be used for bonding with his son.

After lots of conversation with our Doula and Midwife we've decided to only really explore those options if my cervix is favorable. Like the other ladies have said, trying to induce when all of the pieces aren't in the right place puts you in a world of hurt and definitely increases your chances of a C-section. 

Weigh the pros and cons of your situation and don't let anyone make you feel bad for the decisions you've made. If you were asking for an elective induction at 37w I might have something to say, but 39w is the new full term so have at it! 

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Options
    I would also make sure you are well informed on the interventions and complications that can arise from elective inductions. I had no choice in my induction, but I had a traumatic birth experience that still upsets me when I think about it. I think some of my issues comes from not being prepared beforehand as to the possible outcomes. This time I am going to be a better advocate for myself. Good luck in your decision. 
  • Options
    Yeah, my OB won't induce at 39 weeks unless there's already some progress with the cervix, no matter how many kids the patient has had. If you're closed and not effaced, she won't even entertain the idea. So, I'll be hoping for some progress for you!
  • Options
    I was induced at 39 weeks with my 2nd because of high blood pressure and mine wasn't like all the horror stories you hear at all.  I didn't even have Pitocin, just Cervidil.  It was administered at 10:30 am and I walked the halls and used the jacuzzi tub for pain, didn't end up being able to get the epi because my water broke and he came sliding out so quick.  I had a baby by about 5:30 pm.  I'm sure a lot of this had to do with the fact I'd already been about 4 cm dilated and my first son came on his own at 39 weeks.  I definitely would not judge asking for an elective induction at 39 weeks in your situation.  My OB was not real keen on the idea of inducing me at all, though, even with high blood pressure, the MFM basically had to force him to schedule it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My SIL has done it twice for her work schedule and several women I work with have scheduled it around work too. I don't have any experience with it myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would just ask if it were me. I think most doctors would be understanding. It's not like you're trying to choose an induction at 37 weeks or less. I've been induced now 2 times and had pitocin all 3 times. Yea, it makes the labor pains worse but that is what an epidural is for. I don't think you'll regret choosing that over your husband leaving and not meeting his child for a year! Good luck, I really think that is a totally valid reason for choosing an induction at 39 weeks.
  • Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat if my doctor would let me.  Unfortunately my doctor has a strict policy of not inducing earlier than 41 weeks, unless there's a medical emergency (which resulted in my 10 pound baby having to be delivered by way of emergency C-section.)  Even with my scheduled c-section this time around, they won't do it a day before 39 weeks.  Blah.  You have a very valid reason though and 39 weeks is considered term so there's absolutely no harm in asking.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't. But my situation is much different than yours. In your case, I think a 39 week induction makes sense. You're not asking to have the baby a month early or something crazy and your husband is going to be gone for a year. That is beyond normal circumstances. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would ask, I have a similar problem, Im due the 13 and DH is out of here the 26. With DS I had him at 37 weeks and Im sort of hoping I have this one early too. I need DH here. And I want him to spend as much time with the baby too.
  • Options
    Thanks I will definitely bring it up today. I was induced at 37.5 with DS for high BP and I am already on BP meds and being closely watched this time, so this may be a moot point anyway. I definitely know what I would be getting myself into. I actually had a pretty good experience with DS, though I know there are other complications to be aware of that I was lucky enough to avoid last time.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think your reason for wanting an induction is completely valid. I was induced at 37 weeks with my oldest because I had pre-E, and it went smoothly. Since my body wasn't ready for labor on its own yet, my OB took things very slowly and induced me over a two day period. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about doing the same if he/she feels that you aren't a good candidate for induction by then.
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    I would ask. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Good luck! With my first I was scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks, but my water broke 2 days before. I wasn't progressing like they wanted though, so I ended up with the pitocin anyways. I agree with pp's, it is the devil!! I didn't even really feel my contractions until they gave it to me. And holy moly I felt them after that lol.
    But for your case, I believe that is a sensible time and good reason to have it done. Sounds like your experience before wasn't terrible, so maybe this time would be the same?
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of woman wanting to induce labor for convenience. Plus, induction sucks. I hated it.
    However I totally see your reasoning, and if it were me I'd probably do it too. My husband is in the Army, so I get it.
    You'll have to Def. Ask your Dr about this.
    GL

• Options
    Ditto the "just ask," but I would also like to note that it is possible even if your OB says yes, you could face a "no" from the hospital-- i.e. when I was induced with DD1 when I was past due, I still had to call the hospital a few hours before my scheduled induction and see if they had a bed for me, as they gave preference to moms who had to be induced for actual health reasons or who were in natural labor.
  • Options
    Well this conversation will have to wait until next week, baby was not behaving at my nst and I was sent to triage for extended monitoring. All seems to be well thankfully.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Good I'm glad this takes some weight off your shoulders!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Happy to hear the stress is off of you now! Hopefully baby will come on its own :)
  • Options
    Good news, thanks for the update! I hope it goes well for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"