July 2012 Moms
Options

Catcalling

A high school friend of mine wrote this blog post and I absolutely love it. Currently living in the suburbs of a small town, personal safety is not always the first thing on my mind these days and I usually feel pretty safe (although still confronted, called at, and even followed while doing something as unsexy as grocery shopping). I know from experience, however,  that living in a city or large town and having to frequent places unaccompanied, it often is for some ladies.

https://dancinginthebirminghamjail.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/bring-that-ass-over-here-girl/

This blog post got me thinking. I know a lot of J12ers live in larger towns and cities while others are living in the suburbs or in small towns. From personal experience, what is your initial reaction to "catcalling"? Fear? Annoyance? Anger? Flattery (yeah, right)?

And have you EVER thought "I should get his number and we should go out sometime!"? LOL

Re: Catcalling

• Options
    PaddyB said:
    I agree with everything that woman said.  

My initial reaction is generally annoyance but, depending on if it escalates past the first statement things can change to fear. I have been followed for short periods of time - I immediately starting thinking about where to go/ how to ditch/avoid etc. 

Just like the woman mentioned, my sister has been followed for blocks on foot, or on a bus (including changing buses) by men.   That is unacceptable. 

That is definitely when I would start freaking out. When I took night classes at UAB a few years ago, I had mace on my keychain and always kept my car key in "stab position", as I call it, while walking to my car. However, I rarely got bothered while walking around there. In fact, the #1 place I can recall (other than out at bars in college) being "catcalled" at is Walmart, while grocery shopping. I was followed once while like 6 months pregnant with Kellen through like 6 aisles. The man kept telling me how beautiful I looked and how MH better treat me right and if he isn't then I could call him (this stranger) and he would show me how a real man does it. It was horrifying and embarrassing and I know a few people must have heard it. I just ignored it and went on my business, but it really shook me up.

Also, I had an even more terrifying experience in college in a Publix parking lot that resulted in an actual police report. My 2 friends and I were picking up some groceries for a beach cookout and when we returned to my car, all hell broke loose. I went to open my driver's side door and heard grunting and groaning and some profanities coming from the truck parked next to us. I'll spare the details, but lets just say I was a mere 2-3 feet through an open window away from a stranger's erect penis. We all started screaming and I got my phone out to call the cops. The man sped off and didn't even have plates, so I'm sure he was never caught. It was so awful though. An image that I still can't erase from my mind.

• Options
    Eh, I don't mind it lol. Its been a few years s I'd be flattered now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It usually happens to me while I'm walking down a VERY busy route going to work or to my car. It scares the shit out of me when I get honked at by a car going 60 mph!
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My reaction is annoyance...unless they don't stop after the initial statement.  If someone keeps at it or follows me, I get scared. 

I don't, however, feel diminished or violated or demoralized.  Catcalling does nothing to affect how I view myself or feel about myself, it only makes me feel sorry for the ignorant person doing it.

I'm with you on feeling sorry for the ignorant person. However, it does make me feel diminished, in a way. Violated? No, except the time I mentioned above when the man exposed himself. More like embarrassed, and wondering what makes that man think he can treat a woman that way. I see it as very de-humanizing and it angers me more than anything. I'm not very confrontational at all and usually just ignore it, but sometimes I find myself wishing I could go back and give the man an earful of what I was really thinking.

It's one thing (though still not appropriate or excusable) to tell a stranger she is gorgeous or pretty or what not, but it is another thing when you follow a young woman through a grocery store, making sound effects as if you were eating delicious food while watching her walk and saying things like " Girl, if your husband ain't treatin you right I can show you how a real man does" and "Damn, I could watch you walk around here all day". It is mortifying, and totally diminishing to be treated like that. Catcalling may be a very mild form, but I believe its what makes the more aggressive forms seem OK in some men's eyes.

• Options
    I live in a big city and my initial reaction is always annoyance then anger. But honestly unless you go to a club or bar there isn't much cat calling going on on the streets or whatever here. It's mostly aimed towards teens I assume. That or I'm just old and fug now lol. I think the last time I was ever hit on was at a bar and H was there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    I will add I've never been followed. I've just been leered at. I tend to have a RBF anyway and closed body language. Most people don't approach me. If i were being followed I'm pretty sure someone would get cussed out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"