Postpartum Depression
Options

Intro/ Preparing for Post-Partum Depression

George2nGeorge2n member
edited December 2014 in Postpartum Depression
Hello everyone! This is my first every post on The Bump or any site like this. lol. I have been a lurker, but I am looking for any tips, tricks, or ideas. I am pregnant with my second child. I had intense PPD about 4 months after my first daughter was born. I had four months where I was the happiest I had ever been, and then it hit. It was such a good thing it happened so late because I was able to recognize it for what it was, rather than thinking it was me "just transitioning to motherhood" (by the way, that phrase drives me absolutely insane!). This time I am terrified at the thought of going through PPD again. I have been making a game plan to prepare.  Please comment with what has helped you or anything you think might be beneficial! This is what I have so far:

Supplements:

Essential Oils – DoTerra Lemon, Citrus Bliss, and Elevation

Herbs – Lemon Balm, Holy Basil

Vitamins – Prenatal, B12, Omega 3, Vitamin D capsules.

Epsom salt baths

Placenta Encapsulation

Medication – I’ll start Zoloft again as soon as I realize PPD is back

Systems:

Index Cards –Super easy dinner recipes or at least ideas on the front, ingredients on back to make for easy meal planning and shopping.

Paper goods – Stocking up on lots of plates and cups and even silverware.

Make freezer meals – Make as many crock pot freezer meals as will fit in my freezer at start of last month of pregnancy for right after baby comes.

Simple Daily Checklist – Things like make bed, exercise outside, prayer, read scriptures, play Pandora, clear sink and run dishwasher. I’ll make a short list and print it so I literally check it off every day.

Alarms to eat – Every two hours (I would often forget and not want to eat. My doctor said this HUGELY affects depression).

Running – Every morning. Listen to scriptures while running. I will take it easy and make it fun, and hopefully go often with friends.

Bubblegum – Code word for communication purposes. My husband can use it to mean, “I know something is wrong, you need to stop what you are doing and find a way to articulate exactly what you are thinking or feeling, even if that is ‘I don’t know why but I am feeling so down or upset’”. Then it is up to me to figure out what I am feeling. Then we talk about what to do about it. Sometimes the answer is nothing, but at least he will know exactly what I am feeling so he doesn’t misread me and think he did something wrong (this happened a lot).

Housekeeper – Hire a housekeeper for once or twice a month!

Re: Intro/ Preparing for Post-Partum Depression

• Options
    So interesting that you said you could except it for what it is because you had it after going through your happy period. In some ways I wish I had it that way because mine set in almost immediately after coming home. I went to the dr when my son was 1 week old. He's 6 mths now. I have never had that axing feeling or that love you can't describe. It almost makes you feel worse and incompetent in some ways.

Talk to your dr about Magnesium, too. I've been taking it along with B vitamins.
    I'm thinking about encapsulating my placenta next time, too. It sounds weird, but I'm willing to try anything.

I made freezer meals from Pinterest in advance so all we had to do was pull them out and put them in the oven.

You sound completely prepared. Remember that it is possible that you won't have it again. I know someone who had it only with her first of four kids.

Think positively and good luck!!!
  • Options
    teedaaleeteedaalee member
    edited December 2014

Want to commend you for preparing for this. Whether or not PPD will happen this time around I think it’s great that you are being physically prepared! After reading your list of preparations I was thinking you might consider emotional planning as well? I found an article by Rebecca Ingram Powell that lists emotional preparation you might think through:
    1. Recognize that your situation is temporary
    2. Re-evaluate your priorities
     3. Relinquish your need to control
     4. Realize that new relationships are forming
     5. Remember you are not alone

You are ready for this! Baby #2 is lucky to have a momma like you :)
    teedaalee0712

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    George2nGeorge2n member
    edited December 2014
    So interesting that you said you could except it for what it is because you had it after going through your happy period. In some ways I wish I had it that way because mine set in almost immediately after coming home. I went to the dr when my son was 1 week old. He's 6 mths now. I have never had that axing feeling or that love you can't describe. It almost makes you feel worse and incompetent in some ways. Talk to your dr about Magnesium, too. I've been taking it along with B vitamins. I'm thinking about encapsulating my placenta next time, too. It sounds weird, but I'm willing to try anything. I made freezer meals from Pinterest in advance so all we had to do was pull them out and put them in the oven. You sound completely prepared. Remember that it is possible that you won't have it again. I know someone who had it only with her first of four kids. Think positively and good luck!!!
    Thanks! I will definitely talk to my doctor about magnesium. I have definitely been pinning freezer meals like crazy on pinterest. lol I think I need a bigger freezer.

teedaalee said:

Want to commend you for preparing for this. Whether or not PPD will happen this time around I think it’s great that you are being physically prepared! After reading your list of preparations I was thinking you might consider emotional planning as well? I found an article by Rebecca Ingram Powell that lists emotional preparation you might think through:
    1. Recognize that your situation is temporary
    2. Re-evaluate your priorities
     3. Relinquish your need to control
     4. Realize that new relationships are forming
     5. Remember you are not alone

You are ready for this! Baby #2 is lucky to have a momma like you :)
    teedaalee0712

Thanks so much! I have been thinking that my list is lacking in that department.I guess it is hard for me to figure out how to prepare emotionally. I can't really create a system for it. I know that I can talk to myself and tell myself these things now, but when I am going through depression, I just think and feel differently.  I do know that I will start going to group and individual therapy. 

These ideas from the article that you found are really fabulous. Maybe I can put these on my "daily check-off" list so I remember to think about them every day. Do you happen to have a link to that article that you found? Or the title of the article? I would love to read it. 
  • Options
    Check out the website Post Partum Progress, too. There are a lot of articles and you can find stories from people who got through it. It's a pretty good website. Reading that other people made it through always made me feel better and gave me hope when I had none.
  • Options
    Thanks, I will!
  • Options
    teedaaleeteedaalee member
    edited December 2014

It’s so true isn’t it!? I would agree that it’s difficult to prepare emotionally. Especially once you’re in the moment and everything is going differently than anticipated. Nonetheless, I think it’s wonderful you’re thinking through this beforehand. Here is the link to the article by Rebecca Ingram, I hope it helps!

teedaalee0712

• Options
    Thanks for that link! Hopefully this time around will be a little better if I do get PPD again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"