Special Needs
Options

Intro :)

Hi everyone! I'm Ashly and I'm a proud parent to two babies and one of those was just diagnosed with ASD with language delay and Global developmental delay. I would love to hear about everyone and their babies and join in on the board!

Re: Intro :)

• Options
    Welcome! I have a dd with language delay/autism as well. How old are your LOs?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is almost 2 and a half and DD is 7 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Welcome to our board!

I could count DS! He is my baby at almost 6 years old!

DS has ASD. Language delay was one of the things that he has and is coming along with speech therapy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome! 

I have one with ASD (HFA) and one we suspect has CP who just qualified for EI with a communication delay. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    Welcome!

DS is two and will be getting his dx next week for ASD.
    DS 10/2012
  • Options
    Welcome. My DS is dx with ASD, ADHD, anxiety and when he was much younger a sever speech delay. He is currently doing very well!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for such a warm welcome! I'm very new to these diagnoses so it will be great to connect with other mothers going through this as well.
  • Options
    Welcome!

My 3 yo has the same dx's as your son....and we got it when he was two as well.. I also have a 7 month old DD.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I recognized you from A14! I remember your post about your son. So, how are you? My 2.5 yo ds is getting his 2nd ASD assessment (social skills) at the daycare today. We'll receive the diagnosis in january. It's a stressful process, but I try to focus on his strenghts instead of his weakness. Keep us updated!
  • Options

Welcome!

My 3 yo has the same dx's as your son....and we got it when he was two as well.. I also have a 7 month old DD.

If you don't mind me asking how is his speech?

• Options

I recognized you from A14! I remember your post about your son. So, how are you? My 2.5 yo ds is getting his 2nd ASD assessment (social skills) at the daycare today. We'll receive the diagnosis in january. It's a stressful process, but I try to focus on his strenghts instead of his weakness. Keep us updated!

It is definitely a stressful process! I'm having a rough time getting services since there aren't many available in our area. I'm doing better now that we've gotten passed the waiting and wondering and now I know that I wasn't parenting wrong just that his delays and behaviors were due to his diagnosis. I'm still not as educated on it as much as I'd like to be but I'm sure I'll learn more and more each day! How are you doing?

• Options
    I feel better than 2 weeks ago, even if I constantly think about this new situation.

At the daycare, the neuropsychologist said that DS still shows ASD traits in his social skills with his peers.

I don't know where this disorder comes from. I'm still in shock! My son always reached his milestones for the last 2 years. Only the speech was an issue, but our families were not worried since in both sides there is some speech delay history.

Did you suspect for a long time that something was different with your son? And sorry for incorrect grammar, I'm french canadian!
  • Options
    Hello and welcome!  My children have a host of special needs, but right now they seem to all boil down to language-based learning disabilities.
  • Options
    ashcole28 said:

Welcome!

It's progressing. Slowly. In the last year his receptive language has taken off and his expressive language has picked up. He still doesn't talk much, and he's still considered non-verbal, but he's slowly progressing. Generally his expressive speech is on par with 12-18 month olds, if that's what you were asking.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options

I feel better than 2 weeks ago, even if I constantly think about this new situation.

At the daycare, the neuropsychologist said that DS still shows ASD traits in his social skills with his peers.

I don't know where this disorder comes from. I'm still in shock! My son always reached his milestones for the last 2 years. Only the speech was an issue, but our families were not worried since in both sides there is some speech delay history.

Did you suspect for a long time that something was different with your son? And sorry for incorrect grammar, I'm french canadian!

He was always somewhat behind but his pedi wasn't concerned so I just brushed it off until his 18 month appointment and he seen a different pedi that day and she immediately sent a referral. Then I started thinking. Now that I know more about it he's had signs for a very long time.

• Options

ashcole28 said:

Welcome!

It's progressing. Slowly. In the last year his receptive language has taken off and his expressive language has picked up. He still doesn't talk much, and he's still considered non-verbal, but he's slowly progressing. Generally his expressive speech is on par with 12-18 month olds, if that's what you were asking.

At his eval they put him in the 4 month old category for expressive and 9 months for receptive. I'm just so worried he's never going to talk.

• Options
    ashcole28 said:

ashcole28 said:

Welcome!

At his eval they put him in the 4 month old category for expressive and 9 months for receptive. I'm just so worried he's never going to talk.

That's about where D was at that age. I think at his 21 month evaluation his expressive was 3-6 months and receptive not much better. Really frigging hard to hear that from the SLP when the dev psych was dropping the A-bomb and giving me worst case scenarios. Once the dust settles from hearing the news it gets better. Unfortunately, there aren't any guarantees that either of our kids will be verbal, but it helps me to focus on how he CAN communicate. Like handing me his sippy when he wants a drink, or hugging, etc. The words are a nice bonus when they come. It was especially hard when DS was your sweeties age bc his peers language was taking off...and his wasn't. Hugs to you.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    ashcole28 said:

He was always somewhat behind but his pedi wasn't concerned so I just brushed it off until his 18 month appointment and he seen a different pedi that day and she immediately sent a referral. Then I started thinking. Now that I know more about it he's had signs for a very long time.

Another similarity. DS was on the late side of normal (having a seemingly NT younger child now, I'm seeing just how different he was way back when...it's eye opening). At his 18 month appt his pedi finally listened to me. I had called her concerned about him losing language and shutting me out two months prior. Her reaction was also immediate. I see now that she knew as soon as he ignored her requesting him to something and instead flicking a measuring tape around.

Looking back now, I can see differences back to his NB days, certainly his infanthood. Hell, I have a 17w u/s that I swear he's doing his hand motions in.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Welcome! 

My DD1 has ASD, diagnosed at age 3. She's in first grade now and doing well. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"