June 2013 Moms

Very few words - commiseration

Hello!  Forgive me if this has been posted recently I didn't see it.  Please report to this post if your Junebug doesn't have too many words.  Please don't report to this post and say "we only have 35 words, so worried!" 

How many words does your LO have?:

Are some of these words nonsense?:

What are you doing about this issue, if anything?:

Feel free to add some questions.  I feel equal parts "oh he will just figure it out" and equal parts "why can't my baby talk?"

Re: Very few words - commiseration

•  Our pediatrician has always stressed that language comprehension is much more important than talking before their 2nd birthday.

I've never read that but it is actually so reassuring to think of it this way.  He certaintly seems to know what we are talking about. 

He can say ball, dada, cat, bird, shoot I think there are more but I'm spacing.  He also has several "words" that mean the same thing FOR HIM but not for other English speaking people.  Plus three signs.  The doc said the "made up" words count as well as the signs so I guess that's good.

• Loading the player...
  • Mama and dada and that's it. He babbles, points and understands a ton. My brother didn't talk until he was two and then (as my mom puts it) he never shut up.

• Lo says maybe 10, if I'm paying close attention but at least 7 just started this weekend- and I think it's about to pick up. He has been making lots of sounds for months and babbling. He often tries to "talk" in that he'll answer back with sounds, intonation and even (we have finally figured out) the correct amount of syllables for the words he is looking for. He just can't connect the sounds to the meanings yet.

I'm totally not worried though, his comprehension is awesome and he (if he choses to) can follow any directions. It's exactly what Marfa said- comprehension is far more important than language in terms of on track development at this stage.

Plus it's nice to play dumb that you can't understand what they are demanding for a few more months :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Also this part isn't commiseration, but more reassurance as a BTDT mom and why I'm not worried: G was the same way until right about now. Then all of the sudden around 18 months he just took off- like full sentences. And I don't want to brag, but the kid is advanced in vocab now at 3. So try not to worry too much and just read your kid lots of books. Reading more books is usually the best solution for your kids!

• We have very few words too, but her comprehension is great. She much prefers to nod yes or shake her head no rather than say the actual words. We probably have about 10 words that she uses consistently (and most only as of the last week or two). I'm only just starting to see more of an effort put forth on her part to even try to say new words, but she is trying now so that's good. I'm waiting until after 18 months to worry any more about it.
    div style="text-align: center;">

• kdc2007 said:

Please don't report to this post and say "we only have 35 words, so worried!" 

was it really necessary to put this in bold? 

Agreed!! You pop up out of no where and act like we need the lesson in etiquette.
  • mcbush said:

Please don't report to this post and say "we only have 35 words, so worried!" 

was it really necessary to put this in bold? 

Agreed!! You pop up out of no where and act like we need the lesson in etiquette.
    As much as that rankled me too, I think she's really just very concerned and doesn't want to hear it if we think something like 35 words isn't much because her kid clearly isn't anywhere near there.  So I get it, but yeah.  Tone.

Anyway, E has a bunch of words but doesn't use them consistently.  Even if I ask him to.  His comprehension is great, though (he follows pretty much any direction I give him -- including "please get your guitar and sing me a song" which is the. best.) so I'm not concerned.  I'm hoping we'll have a speaking explosion at the end of this sleep regression.  There must be SOME reward for that!
    Maybe. But if she were around at all or cared to read back, she'd see that this has come up just about every other week or so since September. Granted, nothing on the most recent page - so I'm glad she looked - but this board doesn't move that fast these days so... Meh. If this were any other board, people would have probably pounced on her for telling us what we "can" and "cannot" say on a public forum, but everyone has been nice enough to answer for far.

ETA: Sorry last time it came up was Nov 10, so my apologies it's been "a while" since. But yeah, it was at least twice in October before that, and here and there in September.

I'm sorry my humor didn't translate.  I feared if I wasn't 100% clear what I was asking people would just assume this was a "how many words?" poll and I would see a ton of responses all about the dozens of words other LOs have.  That is pretty much the last thing I needed at the moment.  Didn't mean to offend!

FWIW I post a bunch elsewhere and the standard line of thinking seems to be pursuing EI evaluations if LOs don't have 20+ words at 18 months so I feel grateful there are a bunch of you that aren't worried.

And I would love to post more here but I don't really click on the SPAM threads because they are long and I can't keep up. I'm KU again so I'm hoping to Bump more.

• DS has maybe a handful of words and a few signs. I'm sure part of it has got to do with the fact that he loves his pacifier. He babbles and "talks" in his own language all day long. I'm not concerned about it. I was actually surprised to find that so many kids talk so well so early. Most of the kids on my family are late talkers and will suddenly bust out in full sentences.

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• I just took LO to her 18 month appointment, and, because she understands well, babbles with lots of different consonant sounds, and uses speech-like inflection, her pedi isn't worried that she's not using any words yet.  She told us to call if she doesn't start talking in another three to four months but otherwise not to worry.  I know everyone is different, but I thought I'd post a non-alarmist story here for everyone who's waiting to see a doctor.
  • kh59 said:

I just took LO to her 18 month appointment, and, because she understands well, babbles with lots of different consonant sounds, and uses speech-like inflection, her pedi isn't worried that she's not using any words yet.  She told us to call if she doesn't start talking in another three to four months but otherwise not to worry.  I know everyone is different, but I thought I'd post a non-alarmist story here for everyone who's waiting to see a doctor.

+1 almost word for word. We had our appt. Friday morning. She said to call if we hadn't seen any progression in the next few months.

• @CTGirl30‌ my DS has the same birthday and is really similar to your description of your DS. He hasn't had any ear infections though. Our pedi also reiterated there is a huge range of normal for speech at 18 months and not to worry. She said to read lots of books which irks me because we have read lots every day since he was days old in the NICU.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"