Cloth Diapering

Diaper Rash

My LO is one month old and I am using a combination of prefolds and pockets.  I have used desitin and butt paste while he wears the prefolds and i have also tried earth mama angel baby bottom balm.  the rash just continues to get worse! Its really bad between his butt cheeks and is also in his groin.  Does anyone have any secret tricks to help with a diaper rash while cloth diapering?  He is only comfortable while he is naked and that is causing us a lot of dirty laundry! HELP please

Re: Diaper Rash

• If the rash is in the crack I doubt it's due to cloth. Are you eating a lot of acidic foods?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • We use CJ's daily and resinol with a liner for more severe rashes.
  • Loading the player...
  • how often do you change? at a month old it should be no more than 2 hours between.  and definitely make sure his skin is completely dry before the next diaper
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's in the folds it could be yeast. Yeast loves warm moist places. We needed nystatin cream for LO and my nipples to treat yeast. I also did lots of diaper free time and warm washcloths instead of wipes for a couple of days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• In the folds sounds like yeast. I'd try some OTC nystatin or miconazole cream.

Desitin and butt paste aren't CD friendly. Eventually they'll probably lead to repelling. Prefolds are just more forgiving
  • 1. If you haven't dealt with yeast before, I would have it diagnosed by a pediatrician before I treated for it.
    2. Are you using a fleece liner over the prefolds when using the Desitin/Butt Paste? Those are not cloth safe creams and may be causing issues with your diapers not getting clean, making the rash worse. Do the diapers seem clean when you wash them?
    3. At that age, my LO had a lot of redness in the crack simply due to wetness sensitivity, and if I patted dry between changes that helped immensely.
    4. Agree with Chickypoo, come back?
  • If it is the whole diaper area, think allergy. We just ran into this with my DD. We were treating for yeast and it wasn't clearing up, took her back to the pediatrician, and it turned out to be a yeast rash complicated by an allergic reaction to the detergent we used. New yeast cream (just in case that was what actually caused the allergy), one week in disposables, diaper strip, and new detergent then we can get her back into cloth. Rash looked better after 1/2 a day out of the CDs. I would suggest asking the pediatrician because they will be able to point you in the right direction for treatment depending on the type of rash. 

Also, be careful with the rash creams you are using. They are not generally considered CD safe unless you are using a liner or insert and you don't want to run into repelling issues. 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Sorry I have been reading all of your posts and finding them very helpful!!!! The rash is red like a normal diaper rash but bright red almost bumpy in between his cheeks
  • Sorry I have been reading all of your posts and finding them very helpful!!!! The rash is red like a normal diaper rash but bright red almost bumpy in between his cheeks
    Bumpy sounds like yeast. Bright red, especially if the skin feels different/thicker, could be allergy (think immune reaction).

~*~
    Married 07/20/2013

DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Ok so sense last night I've been making sure he is super dry and putting breast milk on it... Seems to be helping.
  • Mandmeesh said:
    Sorry I have been reading all of your posts and finding them very helpful!!!! The rash is red like a normal diaper rash but bright red almost bumpy in between his cheeks
    Bumpy sounds like yeast. Bright red, especially if the skin feels different/thicker, could be allergy (think immune reaction).
    no.  bumpy can be tons of different types of rashes.  bumpy is just ONE characteristic of yeast

with a 1 month old baby, their skin is very very sensitive.  I think making sure he is patted dry everywhere, including between his butt cheeks, will make a difference
    Lol you are so right about the bumps...yeast just stuck in my mind since that is what our pediatrician pointed out as being characteristic of yeast. Since my DD just dealt with that, I apparently have blinders on!  

~*~
    Married 07/20/2013

DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    edited December 2014

Ok so sense last night I've been making sure he is super dry and putting breast milk on it... Seems to be helping.

What kind of wipes are you using? E broke out like this any time we used regular wipes. We had to use the sensitive skin ones or flannel wipes with just water.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ1979 said:

Ok so sense last night I've been making sure he is super dry and putting breast milk on it... Seems to be helping.

What kind of wipes are you using? E broke out like this any time we used regular wipes. We had to use the sensitive skin ones or flannel wipes with just water.
    It started with cloth wipes and just water, I thought maybe he wasn't getting clean enough with those. So I bought regular wipes and have been testing what he likes best. I'm trying to stick to the ones with the least amount of crap in them. Right now I like the seventh generation wipes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"