Working Moms

S/O to stay or to quit - if you won the lottery tomorrow...

Would you continue working at your current job?  Why or why not?

Would you continue working at all, or would you SAH?

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would definitely do SOME sort of work, but not what I'm doing now (I'm an attorney).  That being said, I know from my ML experience that I think I would go nuts being home with a 2 year old and a baby all day.  I think I would love to SAH maybe 2 years from now, with a 4 year old and a 2 year old until DS is in school FT.  I don't think I could be a SAHM with 2 kids in full time school.  I would not know what the hell to do with myself all day.

I think if I won the lottery I would probably want to do some sort of work, but I'm not sure what.  It would not be FT, and it would not be a job that required nights or weekends.  I feel like maybe I would go work in a bakery somewhere.  They generally are open early but close mid-afternoon, and even if you work weekends the hours are again, very early.  Or maybe open my own business and hire someone to run it for me and then just work when I felt like it?  I don't know.

Right now I work because we need my income (I make significantly more than DS and we are all on my insurance which is an added benefit).  But if I didn't have to work, I would probably still do something, but definitely on a PT basis and doing something more "fun" than what I do now.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
 BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

Re: S/O to stay or to quit - if you won the lottery tomorrow...

• alli2672alli2672 member
    edited December 2014

SAH.  I love playing my kids, and I loved leisure time at home and doing domestic things even before I had kids.  I have worked very PT in the past and been really happy.  

Also, I would love to have girlfriends again.  Working FT and taking care of kids does not leave much time for a social life.

• I would quit SOOOOOO damn fast. 

As DS is 5, almost 6, I dont' really need to be a FT SAH, but I'd absolutely probably only work PT and I'd take some time to find something that I truly enjoy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If quitting, staying at home, and still sending my kid to DC is an option that's my pick :P ! I would probably go back to school to become a financial adviser/money coach, and work for myself. Its become my new idea of a dream job, but winning the lottery is the only way that will happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm giggling reading these because so far it's unanimous that everyone would quit.  Let's hope we don't all win the lottery at the same time or the work force will plummet!  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Quit! But still do something that I loved on more of a PT schedule. I don't think that I would be good as a completely SAHM, but I would love to work like two days a week.
  • @momofcatan that would be my perfect scenario!  I would either work PT so I could still volunteer and have time to work out or open a small craft boutique with a friend.  We have always talked about it but both of us work FT and need our incomes. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My husband came home two nights ago and said he wont the lottery. I just looked at him and asked how much lol. He won 5 bucks! SAWEET! lol

If we hit the jackpot though, I would stay at home for sure, but still have my sitter watch DS part time so I could hit the gym, go to the grocery store and stuff like that. It would be AWESOME.

BUT, I make pretty good money, and carry the benefits - so unless my H's business really takes off in the next couple of years, I will be working FT.

Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• I would still work, but I can't guarantee I'd be all that productive.
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • I would quit before the check was even at the bank. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • litzo27litzo27 member
    edited December 2014
    Work. Not for the money but because I like my job, I'm good at it and I have ambitions pertaining to it. And in my job you can't do part-time and excel. I would definitely find where to spend the money though :)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would quit, but keep a babysitter on hand a few hours each day.  I would probably get more involved at the kids' schools.
  • Both DH and I would quit and start our own business...hands down no question.  I would still need to do something.

On another note...I would find a way to help other kids...whether volunteering more, foster parenting, something.  So many kids out there with nothing and no one.  I try to help out here and there now.  I would definitely ramp up those efforts if I hit the big $$$.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't work where I do now, but I would still be an attorney somewhere. I love being a lawyer. I just don't love the culture of the company where I am now.
  • Would I stay if I won the lottery?  HELL NO.

We'd buy a fancy trailer or rv and spend two years exploring the US and Canada - visit all the national parks, figure out where we want to live.  Once we've picked a place to settle down, I'd probably start my own business - maybe a bike shop, or I could see us getting into owning and managing commercial real estate. 

Although honestly?  I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever doing nothing.  ESPECIALLY while the kids are in school.  I would be entirely content to spend 6 hours a day split between the gym and the spa.  I'd be so hot.
    Hahaha this for me.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I love this post! I love that most people said they would quit and either send kids to DC or keep a nanny/sitter. Lol. Makes me feel better if I decide to quit and keep help. Although I know banking on DHs job isn't the same as winning lotto but it is taking my work/financial contribution out of the equation same as winning lotto.

But to respond to your original question. Damn straight I would quit, keep the nanny, hire a chef and find meaningful pro bono work to do. Shouldn't be hard. I'm an immig lawyer and plenty of people could use a free/cheap lawyer these days.
    BFP#1 10/17/11, m/c due to SCH 11/21/11 @ 8w4d; BFP#2 2/26/12, baby girl arrived 11/1/12; BFP#3 12/3/13, EDD: 8/18/14.

• No way in hell I would keep doing what I'm doing. I would work in some capacity, but it would be as a farmers wife since that is DH's ultimate dream. LO would still go to MILs because I don't want to take that away from her. I would actually pay her for childcare at that point. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't work. The last four years have brought me 8 years worth of stress.
  • @rubber_chicken had it right on the money. I'm obsessed with the idea of buying an RV and taking a few years off seeing the sites. I would definitely quit and start a business of some kind, preferably with my H. He's an engineer and I'm a CPA and I feel like we could get some kind of business going with enough startup! 
  • I really do love my job but if I had the financial means, I would quit to do something I would enjoy even more like opening an antique shop or being crafty and having a shop on Etsy...dreams of mine, but not currently realistic enough to take the financial risk on. It'd be great to be my own boss and have more time at home with kids and time to keep up on the house!
  • i would definitely quit. i kind of fell into this job, but it was never something i really wanted to do long term. i've stayed because the pay/benefits are good and we need the income. i also don't like the commute.

i'd still want to send DS to DC a couple of days a week, and either get a part-time job or volunteer in an area that i was passionate about. i think i'd go stir-crazy if i was SAH full-time. DH would probably want to continue working since he cares a lot about his field.
  • I find it hard to imagine very many people would work a FT job if money weren't an issue!  I'd much rather have a FT life and work a little here and there when I felt like it. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd work very PT. I'm dreaming of volunteering my time about 20hrs per week. DD would still go to F/T daycare but then I could use the rest of the time to go to the gym, tidy up, do house projects, COOK. I'd need a job to keep me feeling productive though. Ah the dream...
  • Another PT-er here.  I would still work, but I would do something different.  I would look for something super low-stress and very person-oriented.  I wish I knew what that was!!  :)
  • yvanehtniojyvanehtnioj member
    edited December 2014
    NEWP. I like my job but it isn't my dream job. If I won the lottery I'd go to law school and then take a public interest law job that paid next to nothing. Or hang a shingle and see what came my way. Either way, tuition & living expenses would not be a problem.

ETA: Or I'd open my dream business: home organizer specializing in people with ADD.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• NunyaBennisNunyaBennis member
    edited December 2014
    Yep, yep, I would quit, no doubt. My job was awesome way back when I was single, baby-free, and was provided with an adequate budget yet minimal oversight. Currently it gets less enjoyable every week: micromanagement is high, funds are low, shotgun policy is ridiculous, and I miss my family when I travel so it's hard to cushion in any pleasure around the business trips since I'm in a rush to get home now. I'd like to still do something in my field, but part time or volunteering, maybe some grant work ... and after our daughter starts school.

eta @yvanehtnioj‌ I would totally be your first client! Let me know when you open your dream business.
  • lulubelle21lulubelle21 member
    edited December 2014
    I'd go part time, which isn't currently or ever will be a reality in my current role. I would hire every service know to mankind! A housecleaner, a personal assistant to do my groceries and pick up my dry cleaning, a landscaper, sheesh someone to change the lightbulbs too!
  • I would quit but do my same job as a consultant so I could work PT and choose when I want to work. I would take a bunch of time off to travel. I would also pay someone to wash my hair at least a few times a week. Random but I always think about that when I go get my hair cut. It's the best lol.
  • Quit for sure. I'm a temp ;) 

I would definitely work, though. Hopefully in the school system somewhere.
  • Quit in a heartbeat. Be a full-time SAHM til the kids are in school, but hire a chef.

I'd go back and volunteer at some point.
    baby girl  5.12
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited December 2014
    I'd quit but also do something p/t (In my field this would be very possible)...but very p/t b/c I would want to do stuff at the kids' school and also have time to do other things during the day like the gym, volunteering, lunch w/ friends, go to the movies, shop, spa, binge watch netflix, sit and stare into space, twiddle my thumbs.... ;)
  • Quit in a heartbeat. I'd do some writing on the side though.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • I'd quit in order to travel, not in order to stay home.

We'd also move close to both families, which is not affordable right now.

I do have my dream job right now, so that would be too bad. 
  • I would definitely not work. I could absolutely fill my days with other ways of being productive like volunteering at my sons school, working out, gardening, etc.

I do like working but hate my current job so there is no way I would stay there. And in my profession it is so hard to find something PT that I can't imagine I could find another job that would be Pt enough for me to enjoy some leisure time but still be fulfilling.

And I would definitely want to make sure I had plenty of time to spend at our new beach house. ;-)

I have friends who are SAHWs (no kids) and friends that are SAHMs with nannies so I know there are lots of ways to fill a day that do not include working. And I would have plenty of girlfriends to hang with.

• I would quit, but have LO in daycare PT instead of FT so I could volunteer. I would love to volunteer somewhere that helps animals or children.

• I'd start my own freelance design business and be my own boss   :((
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • I'd go Of Counsel and do more pro bono work for low-income seniors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"