March 2015 Moms
Options

Scared for labor

Hi :) I'm a very young mom and I'm very scared for labor. I've had a good pregnancy no problems or anything but it's making me nervous thinking about it. I'm pretty tiny so I feel like labor is going to be torture either way. I will most likely do an epidural to help but if anyone has any advice for me a first time mom to calm my fears that would be great!

Re: Scared for labor

• Options
    I'm a not so young FTM, and I have no qualms about asking for an epidural. This is going to hurt - there's no shame in trying to minimize the anguish.

A nurse recommended signing up for natural childbirth classes in order to learn some techniques to manage pain before the epidural. We're just going with the hospital's standard Prepared Childbirth class, though.
  • Options
    I was young when I had my son and scared, and in the end (even though I was high risk and almost ended up with an emergency c-section) it was fine. I chose to go for the epidural and am grateful I did at that time. Labor after that was easy for me, but everyone and every pregnancy is different. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's natural to be nervous and scared about such a big event.  I mean you'd have to be kind of mentally strange to be less nervous about birth than say, a driver's license test.

Educate yourself on the process, don't let it be a big scary unknown where you are at the mercy of the situation when the time comes.  Know the procedures, know the research, know the methods, and know the lingo.  That way if there is something you really don't want to happen, you aren't blindsided by a doctor/nurse doing it to you because you didn't know it was coming and didn't know you could object/ask for different options.

At my appointment on Tues, I will be taking a list of questions with me and going over each one by one.  That way she knows where I stand, and I know where she stands.  It would suck to find out she is adamant on internal monitoring only when she's in the middle of shoving her hand up inside me.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, with my first I was deathly scared about how bad it would hurt, or even the idea of a possible c-section. A birthing class at the hospital you're delivering at will help. 

I mean, it can't be that bad if women have multiple children, right?

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't know if this will help you, but it has REALLY helped to calm my fears to listen to other womens' labor and delivery stories on YouTube. It was helpful for me to hear their real experiences and see that they all made it through it ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Options
    I was 19 when I had my daughter but I was surrounded by family and awesome nurses. I luckily had a quick, easy labor. I'm also tiny. I'm only five foot and have very narrow hips. I delivered an 8 pound baby. We are women and our bodies are made for this. Don't be scared. Just do your research. Take some classes. Have a good support system. You will be just fine.
  • Options
    Isn't everyone nervous for labour? It's natural to be scared of the unknown. Take a birthing class.
  • Options
    Surprisingly it was not as bad as I had always imagined it would be. If I could of gone without IV's I would of been happier. My hands were in pain and all the cords irritated me. My sister and husband kept saying "you're in labor and you're complaining about the IV's?!". Otherwise when the contractions got really bad I needed peace and quiet so no one in the room for me.

#1 BFP 11/6/12 EDD 07/19/13 Delivered 07/23/13 - Baby boy Everett John

#2 BFP 07/06/14 EDD 03/12/15

• Options
    I'm a FTM as well, age 23. I have no advice on the labor itself because I've never done it before but I want to say that you shouldn't make any decisions based on fear. Educate yourself, do research on your options and read about birth stories so that you get an idea of what to expect.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FTM also. I've educated myself as much as possible and I am still scared silly about it. I think it is okay to be scared. I'm scared in general, big baby when it comes to pain, but a large part of my fear comes from know that having a crooked birth canal (I don't know the technical term for it) runs in both sides of my family so I am super nervous about ending up having to have an emergency C-section. My mom had to have CS with all three of us because of this. I understand your fears very well.
  • Options
    happybabe123happybabe123 member
    edited December 2014
    You will be ok! Once you get to the end you will be ready mentally and physically. I was very young with my first and 95lbs pre-pregnacy. When the time came I was ready and my body took over. I did not take classes I just trusted my body and support system.

Edit auto correct
  • Options
    The more you educate yourself, the less scared you'll be. If you understand all the stages of labor and what's going to happen, you'll be more prepared and calm when the time comes.

Also in regards to being "tiny"...I did read that the pelvis size is roughly the same for all women. So just because I'm 5'10 and you're, 5'2 for example, doesn't mean that I have very much of an advantage as our pelvis' are the same size. So, don't let being petite scare you any more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Birth Without Fear is a great blog for reading birth stories.  I actually found that the more birth stories I read the less I feared birth.  I also did the Bliss Born home study course and that dealt a lot with overcoming fears, not just about childbirth but life in general.  I didn't find that course to be overly helpful in that aspect since I didn't really fear birth, but it would be a great course for anyone who's experiening anxiety about labor.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I'm a not so young third time mom and I'm still scared of labor and delivery. Just try to educate yourself. Remember women have been doing this since the beginning of time. Have a support system around you, try to relax, you will get through this, and you will be okay! Honestly, if it was really that bad. I wouldn't be on my third baby! ;)
  • Options
    Third time mom here- stop stressing. Women have been doing it for thousands of years- if they can, you can.
  • Options
    I did the hypno-babies CDs and felt they really calmed me. My birth didn't go as planned, but I wasn't scared during any of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"