Birthday Parties

1st B-day - cake smash?

I'm planning DS's first birthday celebration.  His birthday falls on a Friday and most of our friends don't have kids.  I was thinking about having family and a couple friends get together for dinner, then do a little cake smash following.  I need some honest feedback.  Are cake smashes overdone or still kinda cute?  Family wants to celebrate, but I don't want a big to-do around it, since we have quite a few friends who've had a lot of infertility issues and I don't want to rub salt in anyone's wounds.  Do I send out formal invites for something like that?  How long is appropriate for dinner and cake smash, typically?  Alternative ideas for a low-key celebration? TIA!
Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am

Re: 1st B-day - cake smash?

• I've never heard of a separate "party" for a cake smash.  Usually parents either do a cake smash with a photographer to capture it, or they do it at the birthday party.

If you're doing the dinner and cake as a birthday party, then just send out invitations, like a birthday party.  And by "invitations" I just mean invite everyone over - via text, email, cards, whatever.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't make these 2 events - as in going OUT to dinner then everyone has to go back to your  house.  Honestly- I'd probably just have a pretty low key pizza party (or something equally as easy) at home and then have cake afterwards.

As far as invitations- it can be as formal or relaxed as you want.  Paper, evite, Facebook or text. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for all the feedback.  So, what about renting out a room at a tepanyaki spot and doing the cake smash there - the photog is a close friend.  It'll be all in one spot, yummy adult food, and plenty of space.  Facebook/text invites seem appropriate, right?

Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Maladroit said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  So, what about renting out a room at a tepanyaki spot and doing the cake smash there - the photog is a close friend.  It'll be all in one spot, yummy adult food, and plenty of space.  Facebook/text invites seem appropriate, right?

Sounds perfect to me.
  • Maladroit said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  So, what about renting out a room at a tepanyaki spot and doing the cake smash there - the photog is a close friend.  It'll be all in one spot, yummy adult food, and plenty of space.  Facebook/text invites seem appropriate, right?

Your kid's not mobile yet, right?  My only caution would be a newly mobile toddler and those grills!  Otherwise, sounds perfect.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Always overdone
    Skip the smash

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"