May 2014 Moms

First words?

I didn't see another thread with this topic, but I'm sure it's gotta be out there... 

This past weekend, DD's mouth and tongue were moving but no sound was coming out. In my mind I was halfway to the hospital to have her checked out and all of a sudden she says "Dad!" Turns out she was just trying to say something. Now she is very clearly addressing her dad as "Dada," "Dad," and "Daddy". It's adorable, but it took me by complete surprise. 

Has anyone else's LO started talking? 

Re: First words?

• Loading the player...
  • Fake coughing here too. Plus this godforsaken sound that sounds like he's choking/dying. That he particularly likes to make when I leave the room
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Haleighkay90 dd does the weird growl, too! Freaks me out.
  • becole42 said:

We have heard dadada but not directed at anyone or anything. I didn't think it was developmentally possible yet. We had fake coughing and fake crying over here too. And social laughing if someone else is laughing.

It's possible, but it's not typical. Multisylaballic babbling (mamama, dadada and bababa are examples) is what's common at this stage.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Mine does the fake coughing too.  I thought it was odd, so glad to know he's not the only one doing it!
  • He he says Dada, mama, nana and also does a fake cough. We like to pretend that he relates his words with who we are, but we know he's just babbling. Lol his NAna loves hearing her name, too! Lol
  • Fake cough here. I swear he says mama when he cries but I'm not 100% sure.

This. DH and I hear mama when she cries or gets frustrated
  • We have a "mamamamama" guy

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Fake coughing here as well! Also this hyperventilating breathing when she doesn't get what she wants or when she wants something. She likes to stick her bottom lip out while doing it too. We are in trouble that's for sure! She is say bru bru and looking at the dog (bruiser) she also does this to the neighbors dog. I think she thinks all dogs are called bruiser lol. I'm not counting it tho ha! She is obsessed with him though and laughs a lot when he shakes his toys.

• becole42 said:

becole42 said:

We have heard dadada but not directed at anyone or anything. I didn't think it was developmentally possible yet. We had fake coughing and fake crying over here too. And social laughing if someone else is laughing.

It's possible, but it's not typical. Multisylaballic babbling (mamama, dadada and bababa are examples) is what's common at this stage.
    My nephew is 1, and only says dada and growls...

Maybe I should clarify. At this age it's common to be saying things like dadada...but it doesn't necessarily mean they are saying dada with intent.

Your nephew actually isn't that far behind. If memory serves, at one they look for five "words" (don't have to be exact, could be "da" for dog, for example). My sons delays, especially his speech one, became apparent between 12-18 months.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• So far we have mamamama, babababa and argh. Maybe this one will say mama first. DD1 used to say dadadada and eventually it clearly became "dada" for her daddy. Then she said "woof woof", then "duck", then a couple more words then finally "mama"!
  • Fake cough is hos speciality.

Ma or mom mom has been for a while. Now we hear words like ya or hey or Kay.

A lot of squealing going on too.

He likes to insert himself into conversations with a huhhh or cute grunt.
  • @sstwinklinglites‌ I wish that worked for us. I tell her no mam and give her the look when she's growling or being mean and she just laughs or smiles at me...little stinker lol

• Coughing and laughing here too. Some occasional squealing.
  • DS loves to tell mama, dada, baba. He also fake coughs and constantly clicks his tongue. It is so cute. He will pull off the boob and immediately click his tongue
  • DD fake coughs also and will squeal and all that. She does babble but doesn't really use multiple letters in the same "word". Its more like "mmmm" or "aaaa" but never really letters together. Is that fairly normal at this age or should babies be using multiple letters at this point. We talk and read to her all the time but she just seems a little delayed in this to me. 
    Will also ask pedi on Wednesday (she has to go get her second flu shot).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**Lighting a candle in memory of our angel babies and angel mama in heaven from May'14**
  • Anyone else's baby make gargling noises? My little guy will go "guuh, guuhh, gguuh" over and over again while gurgling the spit in the back of his throat. Then he'll swallow and start all over again! He also does the fake coughing, but not a whole lot of other babbling. The noises he makes sure are cute though!
  • DD says "dadadada" but almost only exclusively when DH is home. I know it's not SUPPOSE to mean "Dad" yet, but I'm wondering if she's putting it together.

• LO makes all kinds of noises, but lately has been into saying "mamamamama". Like PP said, when she cries, it sounds like she is crying for me. Even though I don't think she is really calling for me, it melts my heart. 
  • Sam0905 said:
    Anyone else's baby make gargling noises? My little guy will go "guuh, guuhh, gguuh" over and over again while gurgling the spit in the back of his throat. Then he'll swallow and start all over again! He also does the fake coughing, but not a whole lot of other babbling. The noises he makes sure are cute though!
    Yes! LO does the gargling too. When she first learned that she could do it she did it ALL THE TIME!
  • LO has been doing raspberries for awhile now and lots of babbling/ cooing. She also really likes "singing" She'll start to sing along when I sing to her just ahhh ahhh monotone. It's adorable. Also she'll do short bursts of it if she wants me to sing. I'm tone deaf so I fear for her hearing since she likes my singing. The other thing she likes to do is sing with her arms wide and then get louder and stop with like a yell and close her hands all at once like a little conductor. She'll also make sounds if we use our finger to twitch her lips to make funny noises or cover and uncover her mouth quick. 
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • This! Any time she's excited, tongue out and all.
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • Nothing here but raspberries and dada dada. The occasional scream which he thinks is hilarious but we are a ways from words at this age.
  • hfooterhfooter member
    edited December 2014
    Wow that's pretty cool. DS just sounds like a screaming banshee in between "coughing" fits.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We heard dad the other day. I thought I only heard it so I didn't say anything but then dh yelled "did you just say daddy?!!" Then I told him I heard it too. Since then, nothing. I didn't think they started talking until, like, 1.

It's a BOY

• "Dada dada dada da" had been the word of choice for the last couple of weeks. The pediatrician said we should start to hear words around this age.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• gutsysneakersgutsysneakers member
    edited December 2014
    We also get the panting. That might be my favorite because she does it when she is really excited, she rocks back and forth with her arms flailing. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• jenna3878 said:

We just get panting all the time now for some reason.. He seriously sounds like a dog.

This is us too! I think she's figured out she can breathe out of her mouth or something. It's pretty funny though.

• Mine was face down in her crib, "Dora exploring" as DH calls it, and dadadadaing for a while. She talks to the cats all the time. And has squealing competitions with DD1 all the time. Her sister's a chatter bug, so it'll come soon enough. It's so much fun when your 4 year old is constantly asking you questions you either already answerved 2 seconds ago, or that she answered herself, in her question. 8-}
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"