Special Needs

SPD + anxiety

Anxiety runs rampant in our family. I know DD1 has it, but she also has SPD. Noises (construction, coughing, nose blowing, throat clearing, sniffling, or anything loud) can throw her into a complete meltdown, especially if we're not at home or if they're made by someone she's not comfortable with, which is most people. Anyone going through this? What kind of therapies are we looking at? We have her physical in a few weeks, and previously, her doctor suggested waiting to see if it got better. I'm just hoping to get a heads up for what he may suggest this year. FWIW, I'm a SAHM and we do homeschool for preschool.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SPD + anxiety

• We have not been to OT, but after emailing her pedi today, it sound like he's going to refer us to one, which will be a great start for us.

We do plan on homeschooling possibly through middle school. We feel like it's the right fit for our family right now. Even talking about going to preschool draws fearful tears from DD1. I wasn't sure if you could receive services if you didn't have your child enrolled in a preschool program through the public schools. It's definitely something worth looking into.

Thanks for the input, ladies!
  • My oldest (6.5) has SPD, ADHD, and anxiety. We did OT for two years, and the sensory issues are much better. At this point, I don't feel like they interfere with her life. The anxiety is an ongoing struggle. It's been much better this year than last year, but it still rears it's head from time to time. I do a lot of deliberate sabotage, and we work on talking things through and re-framing the anxious thoughts.

Also, fwiw, my middle DD (3 years, 9 months) cries about going to school sometimes, but she always has a great time once she's there. Sometimes that type of anxiety can be a function of the age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"