Baby Showers

Declining gift from MIL

I'm just not sure how to handle this! My MIL (probably the sweetest woman ever) offered to buy me a diaper bag. It's a pretty pricey bag and she saw a younger family friend with it and thought if she had it when she was raising kids it would have saved her life. Now I have been looking at the colors online and honestly not in love with any of them or with the bag itself really. I found a different brand that is cheaper that I would prefer.

How do I say that nicely? She REALLY loves the specific bag she wants to get me. So I feel strange telling her I would rather her get me a totally different bag, since I'm sure her desire to get me a diaper bag came from seeing this specific bag she offered to get me.

**she is also the single sweetest and gentlest woman I have met.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Declining gift from MIL

• So you tell her, "thank you so much for thinking of me. That looks like a nice bag. I'm glad x is really enjoying hers. I'm planning to buy/already bought this other bag. Thanks again." There isn't a nice way to say buy me this instead, so don't. If she wants to offer to pay for the other one, she will.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I would just be honest with her. Thank her for the generous offer but let her know unfortunately it's not your style/is not what you are looking for. I think she would appreciate your honesty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just be honest, that won't come across as rude at all! I think it would be worse to just allow her to waste money on something you don't love. You are the one who will be using the diaper bag. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ditto all PPs in that you can't nicely say not-that-but-this.

If you tell her you have your heart set on a different one, she might offer to buy that instead. But it has to come from her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"