Breastfeeding

Dairy Elimination

If you decided to eliminate dairy, what was your LO's symptoms?

. DS does not have frothy, green poos - his poos are runny but the classic mustard color. However, he does seem to be pain from digestion. He is fussy a lot, sometimes while nursing. He will sleep a 2 to 3 hour stretch in the moby during the day, but at night will be up every one to two hours. He rarely gives me more than a 2 hour stretch, and won't sleep flat - he is currently in the swing at night. He has projectile vomited a few times - I think 3 times in the last week. The pedi office basically didn't seemed concerned because he is gaining weight well and is otherwise thriving. The nurse and some of my friends have suggested that I could try dairy elimination to see if that helps him feel better. However, everything I read mentions the frothy green poo as a sign of a dairy sensitively , and he has never had that.

DS is 6 weeks, but he came four weeks early and was considered late pre term. He didn't have any complications from being early.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dairy Elimination

• I think a baby can still be dairy sensitive and not have all the textbook symptoms. My LO had green poo with mucous but not frothy. She also had a facial rash (I think from frequently spitting up) that looked like newborn acne, and it cleared after a few days of no dairy. So it could've just been acne but I'm not sure. The biggest difference I noticed after cutting dairy and soy was LO was less fussy at night. It'll be worth a try for you to cut it out for at least a week to see if your LO has any changes. HTH!
  • I am so glad you posted this I was just coming on here to search for a thread talking about eliminating dairy. My son does not have frothy green poo either but became extremely fussy and seemed like he was in pain. I talked to his PCP and they told me to eliminate dairy. They said milk, ice cream (wah!), yogurt, and cheese. However after doing some research the bread I eat has milk in it. English muffins I eat has milk in it. So my question is to the ladies who eliminated dairy how far did you take it? Did you eliminate the obvious or did you look into ingredients of other foods? When I google it is kind of overwhelming bc not only is dairy mentioned but certain fruits and veggies may cause sensitivity and spices. Basically I feel like I need to graze the grass in my front yard for a meal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • I eliminated the obvious plus read labels to avoid all items that contained milk or soy at first. It was an eye opener how many food products had one or the other! Since then I still read labels but will occasionally eat something with a milk product as one of the last ingredients, and LO can tolerate it. I miss cheese and yogurt something fierce but not having LO in screaming pain is obviously worth it. I did find a yummy coconut milk non dairy dessert at Trader Joe's, and that has been a great substitute for ice cream!
  • Ugh @DecafGrandeMocha‌ didnt even think of soy. Sigh.
  • I'm no doctor OP, but the symptoms you describe sound a lot more like reflux than dairy intolerance to me. Especially the not wanting to lay flat and projectile spitting. Has your pediatrician mentioned anything about that? Would they be willing to try Zantac or something like that?

We discovered MPi with DS1 because of blood in his stool. DS2 I knew what to look for so we eliminated much earlier. He still had green mucousy poo. It takes 1-2 weeks for dairy to completely leave your system and another 1-2 weeks for it to leave baby's. We noticed improvement in DS2's symptoms within a week but they didn't completely go away until around 4 weeks. I eliminated all dairy, obvious and hidden since DS1 had tested positive for blood. If I wasn't sure if it was MPi I might 've considered starting with just obvious dairy. Or maybe eliminated all and then added back some hidden?

godairyfree.org is a great website for learning how to identity hidden dairy by labels. I like www.mspimama.com for dairy free recipes.

image imageimageimage

• alli65 said:

Ugh @DecafGrandeMocha‌ didnt even think of soy. Sigh.

I initially didn't either :(

• CLLDLL said:

I'm no doctor OP, but the symptoms you describe sound a lot more like reflux than dairy intolerance to me. Especially the not wanting to lay flat and projectile spitting. Has your pediatrician mentioned anything about that? Would they be willing to try Zantac or something like that?

@CLLDLL‌, good catch on the not lying flat part of the OP! I was too focused on eliminating dairy to see the whole picture.

@mb314‌, how long do you keep your LO upright after a feed?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"