January 2015 Moms

Evening Primrose Oil,thoughts?

I've read that it's safe to start using "Evening Primrose oil capsules" around 34 weeks. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and extremely uncomfortable with my 4th baby,and never tried this before. So my question is: Do I take the capsules orally or is it more effective to insert them into my cervix at bedtime? I've read that it can be used both ways.
Thanks January Mamas

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Re: Evening Primrose Oil,thoughts?

• Isn't it supposed to help start labor? Why do you want labor started now? Wait until baby is ready. Yes being uncomfortable sucks but having a premie just because you're uncomfortable is ridiculous.

I think it is just supposed to help facilitate labor; make it move more smoothly when it happens. I don't think it is supposed to start anything, but I would definitely ask my doc before using it.
  • I tried it with my DD and it didn't do squat, I ended up needing pitocin, cook catheter, then a c section! So good luck with you decision.
    ~Jenn~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cali *our first love* 1/20/12
  • The midwife I spoke to suggested that or Raspberry leaf tea would not help, but said if I wanted to try them to wait until 37wks just to be safe. (I asked her about the tea since I have heard some people begin drinking early in 3rd tri.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't think you should take anything without first discussing it with your doctor or midwife.

I would also wait until you're further along -- if you want to to start labor, it's too early no matter how uncomfortable you are.
  • You can also look into Mothers cordial. It's a concoction that midwives know about, you put 16 drops into a glass of water starting at 36 weeks and it definitely helps! I had my third baby a week early (my first and second were late and I didn't take it with them). Google it. And ask your dr.
  • Evening primrose oil is supposed to help ripen the cervix, not kick-start labor.
    I used it during my last pregnancy. I started a low dose orally, although I don't remember when. Probably 37 weeks? I used it vaginally twice, the second time being about 10 minutes before my water broke at 39w1d.

I will use it again, probably beginning orally within a week or two (36 or 37ish weeks). I won't use it vaginally until I'm full term.

Along the same line, red raspberry leaf tea simply strengthens the uterus, eventually making contractions more productive--it doesn't make you go into labor! I've been drinking a pregnancy tea daily that includes RRL since the beginning of second tri. I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, and will then switch to straight RRL tea daily.
  • You guys just ruined bananas for me...

• longcat07longcat07 member
    edited November 2014
    i don't eat them overripe anyway.  they go in the freezer and then get reincarnated as either banana bread or smoothies.  i only eat them fresh when they're still slightly green.

SO, on the other hand...eugh.

ETF grammar derpitude
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • We were discussing EPO on a facebook group I am apart of. This article came up.

https://vbacfacts.com/2012/11/13/evening-primrose-oil-dont-use-it-if-you-are-pregnant/

I fully agree with the others though. Why would you purposefully want to start labor early? Especially when there are so many women who would kill to be as pregnant as you are right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BookitBoo said:
    Am I completely misunderstanding this whole pregnancy thing? Ripening cervix is a mandatory precursor to labor. Am I right? Like...you don't just ripen your cervix and then hold your breath and control when labor starts. I don't understand doing anything that may start labor this early. Especially without medical advice.
    Yes, your have to have a "soft" or "ripened" cervix to go into labor, although apparently you can still have a soft cervix and not go into labor. My midwife said seamen is the best at softening and if you continue to have sex throughout your whole pregnancy and can help start labor when your body is ready. She actually recommended that we have sex frequently to try to help and said it will not cause early labor for a normal low-risk pregnancy. With my son, I had to have cervidil before the induction in order to soften my cervix at 41wks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• actually I take that back, after rereading op's comments she said she's uncomfortable so maybe she was implying starting labor early...

Don't do that! 
  • For the record
    I'm NOT trying to induce labour, I'm asking if this method works for ripening and speeding up the process. There are no medical studies that show EPO brings on labour. It simply speeds things up when the baby is ready. How nice it was to wake up to this terrible posts :/ this is my 4th child, I'm not trying to endanger him. Perhaps we could try to answer each other's questions without judgement and jumping to conclusions. Thanks ladies
  • THANK YOU! I most certainly didn't I was trying to induce labour. I was simply asking for other members experiences with EPO
  • BookitBoo said:
    How do I get my cervix on this website? Just curious --insert gif of "I want to be famous" vine--
    Just send it in, they will probably post it! www.beautifulcervix.com

I didn't take any EPO or sex in 3rd tri for either of my previous pregnancies... both were born at 40+1.
    They don't really understand what triggers labour, but their guess is that the baby's brain releases a trigger that starts a hormonal cascade in the mother. Everyone responds differently to hormones, and labour will progress or not depending on this, position of baby, etc.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • amt1983 said:
    Guys, if I post a photo of my cervix, will you tell me if it's ripe? Is ripe cervix the new lost mucus plug?
    I vomited a little and then giggled. Just wow. Think of the logistics to take such a picture though.
    There's a whole website dedicated to pictures of the cervix at different points during a cycle. Its actually quite fascinating. But I'm fucking weird, so maybe I'm the only person who would find that interesting....
    i've seen that website.  it is kind of cool in a gross, science-y way.  like, "oh, that's what that looks like/how that works/etc."  i think the series of photos that were daily throughout one girl's cycle were taken by her boyfriend with the help of a speculum.  sounds unpleasant.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • MommaMav said:

For the record
    I'm NOT trying to induce labour, I'm asking if this method works for ripening and speeding up the process. There are no medical studies that show EPO brings on labour. It simply speeds things up when the baby is ready. How nice it was to wake up to this terrible posts :/ this is my 4th child, I'm not trying to endanger him. Perhaps we could try to answer each other's questions without judgement and jumping to conclusions. Thanks ladies

I got a hand out from the nurse at my ob visit on this today. If I choose to use it start at 36 weeks with one, 37 weeks with 2 etc. And not to exceed 4 at 39 weeks. Nothing about using it vaginally. I just looked it over I haven't researched it or anything yet. I agree with asking your ob but wanted to let you know mine gave it to me today.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I saw my midwife yesterday. She said it couldn't hurt and softens the cervix for labor (not triggers labor). If I wanted to start it, wait until 37 weeks and then take it - orally or vaginally, whatever I preferred.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"